Learn more

Crystal Lake Trail is a 3.1 mile out and back trail located near Saint Regis, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,305 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We hiked this trail on 6/28/20. Several trees are across the trail, but easy to go over or around. Lots of flowers blooming beside the trail. It’s a steady up, and right about 3.8 miles round trip.

Completed this on June 19, 2020. The area is still a bit wet, but no snow. Several spots have water on the trail, so be prepared to get your feet wet. Tail is broad like a highway, so no issues finding the thing. There were about ten trees over the trail, but all are easily navigated. Saw a tiny bear cub on the way up at the last switchback. Cocoa colored, and didn't see the mother bear given this forest is pretty thick. Easy slope up right from the start, gets a little more sporty for the second half. Lots of area around the lake to relax, and might be some good fishing as I saw one gentlemen working the lake. No bugs for me

This hike has some real obstacles but it feels great to reach the prize. There was no snow but quite a few blow downs and water crossings. Doable but takes some strategizing in some spots. This hike is a bit of a grunt with few switchbacks, and at some stretches, quite steep. Lined with huckleberry bushes and wildflowers, it's worth the effort.

hiked this today, June 12. some blowdown on trail but easy to go over/under/around it! trail continues on up up up to the top of the ridge. we lost the trail in the snow once we reached the ridge so finally had to turn around. very few bugs at the lake, but some biting flies on the trail to the ridge. definitely would do this one again!

flooded

Great trail, needs to have some trees removed from trail, last .5 miles is tough but worth it! Couldn’t seem to find the cabin off the trail!

The dirt road in is accessible by car, nothing requiring a high clearance vehicle. No snow on the road up, the top by the lake is beautiful with barely any snow on the trail, everything left is melting. The day was gorgeous and there are quite a few downed trees and even more stream crossings but they are very shallow and waterproof boots had no problems crossing. The trees are easy enough to get around. This hike is beautiful and a general steep-ish incline the entire trail through and it didn’t take very long and the views are worth it. We had bug spray on but no problems with bugs. There are small / short areas on the trail where it is a bit muddy from all the snow melt but it’s not bad or anything you will get stuck in, just normal conditions being outdoors with some snowmelt. Would love to come back and camp here. There were some people fishing but not a busy trail. There are campgrounds nearby too on the way up to the trailhead.

About 6 mile drive on gravel to get there, but saw a moose on the way. A few trees down on the trail, but makes for a good obstacle course, highly recommend.

We had a great time! The hike was much steeper than I thought it would be and had wished I brought my polls (for the decline especially). The alpine lake at the top is beautiful. Due to the area having soooo many wonderful hikes I probably would not hike again and would rather find a new adventure. Still a great hike!

Sun Jun 30 2019

This was a short, steep but pretty hike. The road to the trailhead is accessible. I would recommend 4-wheel drive and high clearance. I appreciated the detailed directions of fellow reviewer Daniel - thank you! I would rate this trail to be on the front-end of challenging because of a few really steep sections. I was glad I brought my trekking poles. The trail itself was cleared and well-maintained. The bugs weren't present during the hike or at the lake.

Sat Jun 02 2018

I haven’t hiked this yet. Just an FYI for other hikers- there’s a huge downed tree blocking the road about 5 miles into the Forest Service road. Will need to be moved for the road to be passable.

Wed Aug 16 2017

No One else on the trail which was really nice. The lake and the view of the time were worth the hike up. A few pretty waterfall spots & worth the hike up.

Mon Jul 03 2017

This was an amazing yet difficult uphill trail. The Crystal lake is worth it! The trail had many wet spots in July 1 when we went. Take plenty of water as it was really hot and we worked hard! My husband and I are fit yet in our 50s. The trial was doable but challenging. Wear good hiking boots as the downhill would be hard on the ankles. Trial is well maintained and very beautiful. Use the directions laid out below. Without those, we never would have found it!

Mon May 22 2017

I set out from Coeur d’Alene, Idaho this morning, bound and determined to hike to this lake, regardless of the condition of the trail. I got a flat tire on my new truck, about a mile from the trailhead. What? I only have 2600 miles on the odometer! (This is a good time to remind you to make sure you have all of the emergency gear your need in your vehicle at all times, including the equipment needed to fix a flat.) The map to this trailhead on All Trails is not entirely accurate. That said, it is close enough. Just south of Deborgia, Montana, find Deer Creek Road. It will not be signed as such! There is a small sign that says 236. Follow road 236 about 5 miles. You will pass a few divergent roads along the way. Ignore these! When 236 makes a U turn bend from south to north, there will be a wooden bridge across a creek. Cross this, and continue. There will be an old access road right after the bridge. This is NOT your trailhead. Keep going until you see the trailhead clearly marked. This trail has a steady upward track, without any flat places to mention. It goes up, up, up! Keep this in mind. On this 21st day of May, the first mile or so of the trail was free of snow, but had frequent snow melt streams running across it. I abandoned the goal of keeping my feet dry, early in the hike. The last ¼ to ½ mile of the trail was still covered in snow. It was 3-4 feet in the deepest places. Fortunately, the snow was hard packed, so I only sank in about 6 inches with each step. The pace was slow and grueling, but the lake at the top was more than enough reward. The lake was completely covered in ice, as I first approached it. Within 15 minutes, a good part of the ice along the shore had already melted. I sat and watched the ice melt. It cracked and popped as it did so. If you wish to do this hike without battling snow, I would give it another 2 or 3 weeks before you attempt it.

Mon Jun 17 2019