Crow Creek Falls

Crow Creek Falls is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Lots of elevation change, especially dropping into the falls. Coming back up is fairly strenuous. Cool caves and a very interesting backstory can be found by googling Lynn Electric Crow Falls. Made it to the trailhead from raidersburg in a Honda Accord but it was very slow going over sharp rocks for a good percentage of it.

Was tough climbing out from the waterfall but so worth it! For someone not in the best shape (like me) you will definitely be sore the next day.

nice hike, there's a nice variety in terrain.

Really beautiful hike with some great camping sites next to the falls. The road in through Radersburg is rocky but fine, but if you go through Townsend you're going to hit some very rough spots. Managed it in my hatchback but had some white knuckle moments, wouldn't recommend that route.

Nicely maintained trail with beautiful scenery on the way. The lengthy road to the trailhead (11 miles) is a little rough at times. No cellular service at the trailhead.

Love this hike!

Monday, November 28, 2016

long trail moderate to hard. worth it at the end, straight up as you come up from the falls. Explore above the falls and up to the old mine and swim...

Monday, November 14, 2016

This is not an "easy" hike. I would rate as moderate, and is about 6.5 miles total according to our GPS. The first part of the hike is fairly easy as you go along the creek, then you go up a steep incline and hit a meadow at the top. Then for another mile and half you have a steady incline until you hit a great view point before you go down to the falls. This is the steepest part and you can lose your footing on the loose gravel trail. Climbing back out sucks. But the falls were great, would be a cool spot to camp out at.

I'm glad I didn't take my small dog that generally accompanies me on hikes, because I would have had to pack him out in the end.

Also, the road up (if you go through Radersburg) is not the greatest, take a truck or SUV with 4wd and good tires as the road is very rocky. We took the road that goes straight back to Townsend on our way back, even worse road. DEFINITELY need 4wd.

Give yourself a solid day to get there, and complete the hike, and head home before dark, if your not planning on camping out.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Wonderful hike, trail was in good condition. Fishing holes along the trail.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Wonderful Mothers Day Hike with my daughter and grand kids. I made it in and back out but it was grueling for a person who has not hiked much with a bad knee first of the season. Next time we go in and stay the night, then come out. Very steep

Thursday, August 25, 2016

This was a great hike. The falls were awesome. The old mine shaft next to the falls was cool too. The trail was easily passable but the incline and decline made it a workout. I saw several other groups of hikers on the trail. It was a great afternoon hike.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

This is an absolutely beautiful hike! I'm with everyone else when they say it's more of a moderate difficulty though. There's definitely some hills that are on the challenging side! I'll definitely be back to camp at the falls!

Monday, August 15, 2016

Beautiful hike! Definitely not an "easy" hike. Pack your suits and jump in the extremely refreshing base of the falls.
From Helena drive the extra miles and approach the trail head through Toston. Much nicer road!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

The falls were well with the 8+ mile hike, however, I'd rate this hike as moderate, not easy for the first time hikers I had with me.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

My 12 year old daughter and I did this hike as her first overnighter. Left from the trailhead around 3pm and passed several hikers coming back from the falls. Had the falls all to ourselves for the night!

I would also say this is more of a moderate hike than easy. There are some very steep sections as well as narrow portions. Overall just a gorgeous hike though!

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Definitely should not be rated as "easy"! Took the family there for the first time, definitely a nice hike. Some sections very steep. Otherwise great views! Also, we got lost trying to go on Indian Creek Road to get there...much easy to go through Toston!

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Hard. Steep

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

My husband and I had a blast hiking this trail! I would say it's probably more moderate difficulty, but it was fun, beautiful, and well worth it for the waterfall at the end! I highly recommend this trial!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Definitely worth the hike to see the falls. The hike is rated as "easy", but I'd say it's a bit closer to moderate/medium.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Definitely worth the hike to see the falls.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Not an easy hike for some not in shape

Sunday, June 12, 2016

beautiful hike!
can't figure out how to get my pictures loaded. hit the wrong one.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Great hike! The only downer was that the Townsend roads are unmarked and the trail head was a challenge to find. The 6 year old made it with some effort but he did it!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

this trail is not accessible by vehicle until may 15th, not April. you can park a couple miles away and walk the road to the trail head.

Friday, August 14, 2015

Excellent hike. The trip getting to the falls is well worth it.

Monday, August 10, 2015

This was a blast! Caught a few fish by the falls.

Saturday, August 08, 2015

It was so beautiful!! It started easy but in some areas it was a bit tough lol. We want to do it again but this time try to get there earlier and get in the water

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

First, a few useful things to know about this hike.
If you decide to do this hike, I recommend driving there in a 4wd. If you are taking a car, like me, you want a car with good clearance and good tires. This is really rather important, as several stretches of the road between Radersburg and the trail head are very rocky, and many of those rocks are big and sharp. I made it in a car just fine, but I'd of felt better in a truck or SUV.
Second, If your going in the morning, wear shorts or pants that you don't mind hiking in while they are wet. There is alot of foliage along both sides of the narrow trail, and the dew from them left my pants soaked a mile in. Now for my review
Beautiful hike, and aside from a few short uphill stretches, the hike to the falls is remarkably easy. It starts off with a nice gentle switchback that leads down to a bridge and creek crossing, and from there follows the creek for a few miles. Crow Creek itself is incredibly scenic, and the trail along the creek is filled with wildflowers of all kinds. About 2 miles in, you should refill your water from the creek as your gonna hit a short steep stretch that leads you into a small plain thats filled with wildflowers and butterflies, and you won't hit the creek again until the falls. This is a good place to take a break, as you will have to start hiking gradually uphill from here. Once you hit the tree line, its a gradual uphill hike. Before long you'll hit a fork in the trail, you want to take the left fork as the right leads to the eagle park station. After this, its more gradual uphill until you hit a set of steep switchbacks that lead down to the falls. The falls themselves are an INCREDIBLE view, and more than compensate for the pain in the ass drive to the trailhead. There is also places to set up backpacking tents and fire pits next to the falls, so you can backpack in and camp there, or just have lunch. Either way, you are gonna want to take a lengthy break at the falls to rest up because hiking those switchbacks back up SUCKS haha. After that though its all easy back to the trail head.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Fairly easy nice hike with ups and downs. The roads are not well marked nor the directions.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A great waterfall hike! Pretty moderate hike, I like it best in fall when the colors are amazing and it isn't as occupied. Ask someone who knows the directions well before you go. It's easy to get lost on your way to the trailhead. There is a forest service cabin that you can rent out there as well..which is worth looking into. I haven't stayed in it, but I have been inside of it and it's rustic and perfect!