Crow Creek Falls is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,240 feet Route Type: Out & Back

15 minutes ago

Amazing had a great time! The decline to the falls was a little rough coming back up but besides that was a great hike!!!

Pretty busy trail, but beautiful nonetheless.

Overall an awesome 3-4 hour hike and a good workout. The waterfall is awesome right now as it’s still flowing high and fast. The trail is quite rocky at parts but that’s something you just accept in these mountain ranges around western Montana. The trailhead for Crow Creek Falls is not marked well at all right now but it’s still easy to follow once you get there. We hit the trail at 10:00am on a Saturday and crossed paths with maybe a dozen people so not terribly busy but you can expect to see at least a few groups hiking this trail on the weekends.

Long bumpy drive back to the trailhead but pretty. Looked like the Bozeman M today at the parking lot. Trail is nice and dry, decent scenery, nice and shaded. Waterfall is cool. Very crowded.

Road closure until May 15. No signage at all. 20 miles up unpaved roads to a locked gate. Really poor management on Helena National Forest rangers part. Put up a sign at the first turn off!

Anybody know why this has a “no dogs” tag? It’s in the national forest, where dogs are allowed.

We were unable to access the trail because they’re seasonal road closure at Crow Creek Campground.

How to get to the “Jump Off” trail head. Keep going a little farther after it ends to the next camp ground

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. That’s all.

Hiked on 07.30.19. I agree with previous reviews about taking Radersburg; we turned around when we drove a few miles on Indian trail rd. The hike started at jump off trail, make sure to turn left at the fork after the bridge. It was a bit confusing. The hike varied in elevation but it was worth it once we got to the falls. We had the “beach” to ourselves and even took a dip in the water. It started raining when we hiked back to the trailhead. Awesome swimming hole in Helena; worth the drive from Missoula. We picked a bunch of gooseberries and raspberries!! Enjoy yourselves :)

Hard but great hike for us! If we can do it so can you! Bring water shoes!

Excellent trail. There's a lot of ups and downs but the waterfalls are worth it. If you make it to the falls you wont be disappointed.

This was a great hike. I went through Radersburg and the road was extremely rough in my Ford Fusion. I had to drive 5 or 10 mph most of the way because I was afraid I would blow out a tire.

Absolutely loved this hike, fresh mountain air with beautiful trail along the river.

It's a good trail with lots of major elevation changes. Some of the trail can get real craggy and slick in spots but a good hike.

The drive to the trail head was absolutely gorgeous, but for 100% of the time we were unsure if we were on actual road or just driving on some dirt patch...it was not marked well, we had no service, and it was not very wide on the side of a mountain. I'm not sure what we would have done if we encountered another car on it. The hike however, was perfect. Beautiful and almost worth the drive on that scary road.

The hike is nice and the waterfall is beautiful. I recommend that you go through Radersburg to get to the trail head. Do not take the Indian Creek Rd route if that is an option, the road is very rough going up this way. The Radersburg way is rocky but the road is accessible for a wider variety of vehicles. The Crow Creek Falls trail starts at the Jump Off trailhead and then branches off later in the hike. It’s an great hike to follow and the scenery is beautiful.

Great hike with a wonderful waterfall at the end. Nice wild flowers and butterflies along the way. There are some sections that are steep but they are not too long. Road to get to the trail head “jump off” is rocky so I would recommend you have good tires.

There were a lot of fallen trees in the path near the end of the trail. It eventually became too much for me to climb over and go under so I had to turn back around and face defeat. I will be going back in a month or so to try it again and hopefully see the falls. Maybe I took a wrong turn...

Awesome trail run, definitely some steep parts but well worth it! Took a little over 30 min and close to 3 miles to get there. Easy to follow trail and great scenery!

Thu May 30 2019

So um...I’ve done this 4 times. Starting out you think “Oh this is great. This will be fine. I’m fine. This is nice.” Then you’re 1.5 miles in. You’re kinda cold. There’s like no sun yet. But it’s still fine. You’re still fine. Then you hit the dirt/mud part right under that one tree. You know, that one tree. That spot where the elevation gain is like 100ft up in like 30ft of distance. And that’s when you think you’re gonna die. That’s when it hits you. But that’s not all. You even out into a random field for a while before you have to hike down to the falls. The falls are great the falls are worth it but then you gotta go back uphill to go back downhill. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions but overall - my cat made it so you can too.

recorded Crow Creek Falls

Wed May 29 2019

Sun May 19 2019

6 mile trail in total. We started at Jump Off trailhead. The hike in to the falls was a little tougher than back out. Also some signs are confusing making it easy to go to a wrong trail. If you find yourself on a trail that does not look well worn from hikers you are most likely going the wrong way. Overall moderate difficulty and well worth the hike.

Sat Apr 13 2019

This was a great hike to take, it was a very long hike though. Prepare to be on this hike most of the day. The scenery is ever changing, and the sights are beautiful. It is a bit difficult, especially since it is such a long out and back hike. The waterfall is at the very end, and it is extremely steep getting to the base of the waterfall. all in all very worth it, and I'll be hiking it again this summer.

Sun Oct 21 2018

This was absolutely spectacular trail on a beautiful fall day. The scenery is varied -from a beautiful mountain creek to a wide open high meadow to vistas across a tree covered valley -all ending with a beautiful waterfall before turning around. It says “no dogs” but I have always taken my dog on this and others have as well. My only caution is to not take the directions to get there. The better road is to continue on 287 past Townsend, across the Missouri River bridge and turn right at the bar there. There are signs that take you through the charming town of Radersburg and then signs that actually direct you to Crow Creek Falls. The directions that were listed above on this website take you through a mine that is very confusing and says keep out. The road even in the middle of October was horrible. So I recommend going the alternate route through Radersburg.

Sun Sep 23 2018

No signs so we had a difficult time finding it. Ended up at Jumpoff trailhead instead and merged into Crow Creek. Great hike and stunning scenery!

Thu Sep 20 2018

Got a little lost on my way. But definitely worth the trip! Beautiful!

Mon Sep 10 2018

A wrong turn down creek rather than up made this a 9 mile hike rather than the 6 I had planned. However, all 9 were delightful! There is no signage indicating the falls are to the left after crossing the creek, so beware. My black lab loved this hike because of all the water!