Cinnamon Mountain Trail

Cinnamon Mountain Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sky, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,621 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Beautiful hike to an old fire tower on top of Cinammon mountain. Starts out with gentle uphill but the last third is very steep switchbacks up above the tree line. Impossible to get to the top before July due to snow. Best views around for the time it takes to get up there. To find the trailhead, take the forest road opposite the Cinnamon Lodge in Gallatin Canyon which is south of Big Sky and the Corral Restaurant and Bar. You drive just a short distance (maybe 1/2 mile) to the trailhead. The trail follows Cinnamon Creek for 2.5 miles to a junction where it then goes up a ridge to the lookout. The trail if good in most places, but horses that have used the trail too early have trashed it up in the wet spots making it difficult to find a dry way through in a couple of places. You can have lunch just over the saddle at a spot with great views of the Taylor-Hilgard Basin. Worth the little side trip. The trail continues through open meadows and aspen/pine timber to the top. The top is 9231 feet and there are spectacular views in all directions. A sign at the top indicates various distant peaks.

Well defined trail, no chance of straying off. Not water after the first half mile or so. Steady climb to the lookout without any intermixed down or really any flat. Intimate forest and meadows for the first 3 miles then opening up to beautiful vistas.

No bad trail at all. I would consider it moderate hike too for the distance and elevation gain. If one is not from a hike altitude area, one would feel it, otherwise no big deal. Beautiful views! Nobody on my hike in & out. One thing, bring your own map or read the map posted before you started because it comes to an intersection of Cinnamon 6, Cinnamon 30 or Cinnamon 75. The correct one is Cinnamon 75 that takes you to the top of Cinnamon mountain. I got confused and did the other 2 before deciding for the correct one....grr...Worth the screw up and finishing it!

Hiked this in early August and, because of the recent rains, the flowers were fabulous. The trail is shadier early on, so the rain left some mud spots to go around, but the trail dries out as you get to open area. At about 4 miles each way and with some significant altitude gain, this hike felt moderate to hard.to me. I was pretty exhausted by the end. However, the trail is lightly trafficked and that is a big plus. If you go, go all the way to the look out station at the top. The 360° views are truly awesome. Just look at the pictures!

Abundant wildflowers throughout and lovely expansive views from atop. No sign of bears thankfully. Just pesty rock flies but that was to be expected. Easy gradual climb, not in the least bit steep. Would rate as moderate at best, definitely not hard.

One of my favorite trails...hiked it on July 19 and it was extremely muddy due to all the rain and then horses mucking it up. That being said, the rain has brought WILDFLOWERS! View at the top is spectacular... wish they would unlock the fire lookout again so I could climb up! Bring bug spray--the horse flies are bad right now.

Trail wet and muddy—easily ankle deep in places—beautiful hike to the top with 360 degree views. Bear activity warning sign at the start of the hike but no bears were seen today by us. Met USFS trail crew coming up on motorbikes with chainsaws to clear deadfall — trail to top was quite good—only a few trees down.

Hiked this trail on July 4th upon the recommendation of a very nice employee at Grizzly Outfitters. We asked her for a less crowded trail since Ousel Falls was packed. She said Cinnamon was one of her favorite hikes around Big Sky. “You will huff and puff a bit, but it’s worth it.” When we arrived after lunch there were only three other cars at the trailhead and during the hike, all three parties passed us on their way out. So by 3:30 we were the only ones on this gorgeous trail. There is running water for the first 2.5 miles, which was welcome because it was very, very quiet. We spotted a mommy moose and her baby lazing under a tree. After we took the turn to head up the mountain, about 1/4 mile into it we heard the distinct sounds of a bear and when we emerged from a canopy of trees we spotted one about 50 feet away. It saw us, we saw it, and we slowly turned around and made lots of noise on our way back down. I would definitely hike it again, Bear and all!

Hiked Cinnamon Creek earlier this week. The views are spectacular!! 360 degree view at the top of the fire station. Saw a Moose and calf at the trail head. It’s a tough hike but the views are sooo worth it. Took our dog, a few stream areas and lots of shade.

I did this hike solo mid to late October, a really good hike and pretty challenging. Some blind switch backs so be cautious around corners, during my hike a ran into a lady who saw a sow with cubs. Be educated. but the views at the top are incredible. And can’t wait to do it again

Fri Aug 10 2018

360 degree views - stunning. Definitely need bear spray / be prepared and educated.

Mon Aug 06 2018

This is a wonderful trail to the top of Cinnamon Mtn, which has excellent views on a clear day. While this trail can be hiked in the early season, it is best after the snow has melted on the upper sections and the lower part of the trail has had a chance to dry. As of Aug 4, 2018, the trail was in excellent shape and all but the newest deadfall had been cleared from the trail. Wildflowers are abundant in many areas.

Fri Jul 06 2018

hiked 7/4/18 trail is muddy in some places but very torn up at the beginning due to horses. at the sign go right. trail gets steeper but easier terrain. the trail will open up and there's amazing views for the last mile. it's about 1.5 after you turn right. worth doing absolutely gorgeous and delicious cinnamon at the top.

Fri Jun 09 2017

Awesome trail! I will definitely return to do this on a sunny day so I can take full advantage of the views from the top. I went by myself, so I carried a bear bell as well as bear spray so I could make some noise because of the grizzlies. I didn't see any bears, but I did see signs of them. Overall not too difficult, and the distance is well worth the view. Amazing wildflowers as well.

Tue Sep 20 2016

Nice, hard pack trail - nothing technical. But it does climb at a steady rate the whole way up. Great fall colors!

Tue Aug 16 2016

Great hike! Not too much foot traffic and the view at the top is spectacular. You do gain quite a bit of elevation but it's not too overwhelming.

Mon Jul 11 2016

July 2015

Sun Sep 08 2013

Great views at top of cinnamon mountain with an old lookout tower to climb around on. Great exploring on the ridge line with views of open meadows and large mountains in the distance.

recorded Cinnamon Mountain Trail