Chaffin Creek Trail

Chaffin Creek Trail is a 13.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Darby, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from July until September.

Great hike, views, camping, and fishing.My chocolate lab and I powered through the hills. Like the previous reviewer points out, free standing tents with good mats is the way to go. As the best camp sites are on the granite with mossy patches. I planned on hiking to Chaffin Lake, third and last lake, but the trail wasn't marked well and I didn't want to bushwack the entire way there from Hart Lake. Tamarack lake was nice, but the lake level was low and not as nice a Hart lake. I found a really nice campsite on the south side of Hart lake. Perfectly pitched over Hart lake with a great view. There is a creek between Tamarack and Hart which was perfect to grab water and for cleaning and filtering. It was a little buggy, so bring bug dope or a Thermacell. Overall a great trip.

took the whole family after me and my husband went the first time. we stayed at Tamarack reservoir. be mindful that free standing tents and good matts are better as you sleep on granit and its hard to find a place to steak the tent. everytime we go we atay longer. awesome hike nice warmer water. fishing great for pan size fish.