Camas Lake Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hamilton, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length5.6 miElevation gain1,348 ftRoute typeOut & back
dog friendlyKid friendlyHikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingrunningForestLakeViewsWildflowersWildlife
Waypoints (0)
Photos (61)
Recordings (65)
Completed (182)
Kay Winters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 23, 2020
Hiking

Many blow downs from last weeks wind. Sunny start but clouds rolled in by the time we got to the lake. Snowy!

View Kay's Recording
Jennifer Rooney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 30, 2020
HikingGreat!Muddy

It was a little tricky to find. Apple Maps said to park the car and walk, but it was definitely a keep driving moment! When I did arrive, however it was clearly marked. The trail itself is easy to follow, starts out as easy, ends easy, but moderate through the middle portion. The end is phenomenal. What a beautiful mountain lake view!! One of my favorite hikes so far. We went on a Monday and there was no one else on the trail. It took my dog and I 2.5 hours to complete. Fast downhill walk back. 6 miles on my Apple Watch.

Thomas Kallmeyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020
View Thomas's Recording
Ashley Kratz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2020
Hiking

Trail was nicely marked and easy to follow. The view was worth it! It was mostly a shaded trail and was pretty rocky towards the end. My GPS got it as 8 miles round trip.

Anna Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

Excellent hike - the mountain lake at the top is worth every step, as it is stunning! We had 7 hikers, age range 14 to 50. Very doable but agree with others that it is more moderate than easy. Trail is naturally quite rocky - be sure to have proper hiking shoes for this one. Not being from the area, the drive up to the trailhead is...well...adventurous. Be prepared for a slow drive those last five miles. We dipped our feet in the lake and took in the majestic scenery...absolutely loved it!

Jen Hickes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Loved it. Lots of little fish in the lake. Nice lake for a swim! Great family hike

View Jen's Recording
Neil French
View Neil's Recording
Tane Mooney
View Tane's Recording
Adelaida MacGillivray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
Hiking

AMAZING!!! The hike is easy and has amazing views! The lake is beautiful and is great for fishing, and there are huckleberries along the whole trail! Definitely did not disappoint!

Tanya Moby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRocky

Harder than “real hikers” made it sound. I have bad knees and I’m fat. This was hard at mile 2-3. Tiny biting flies that drew blood! Lake is beautiful and lots of jumping fish. Not too cold to soak my sore feet and knees. Lots of huckleberries and thimble berries. I saw some wild strawberries but they weren’t ripe yet. I like the little bridges.

Kristi Jo Sindelar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
HikingBugs

This is a great trail. The lake was beautiful and the fish were very active and loved all three of my big choices for them. I do encourage fisherman to boulder around to the north side of the lake for the best fishing with a good area for the back cast. I spent the night and had the lake to myself after dusk. Will definitely do this one again.

Ariel Esser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
Hiking

This is a very fun hike! I agree with others, who say it's more moderate, my tracker clocked it as 3 miles and 1200 feet to the lake. I took a dip, and it's very doable – if you're used to Montana water – I just wished I had brought sandals for the squishy lake bed.

michelle hartenstein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020

beautiful trail that opens to beautiful water. easy trail if your a consistent hiker, we took our 10 month old son therefore inclined at steady pace makes it more of a moderate difficulty.

Pam Ungashick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful and fun with rocky areas and water crossings. All uphill to the pristine lake, more moderate than easy. In and out of shade.

Sarah Busch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful, great hike, but quite steep. Continual incline, more of a moderate hike up, but easy coming back. Q bit wet in places, so plan your shoes well. Don't forget bug spray, as there are a few mosquito spots on the way, as well as some mosquitoes at the lake.

Mark Ungashick
Hiking

First the positive - this was a beautiful, mostly forest hike to a pristine alpine lake ... and now for a few "corrections". The actual total out-and-back route from the trail-head sign in the parking area is 6.2 miles. Also, the first 1.0 mile is along a forest service road (just the facts!). I'm in total agreement with several other raters that this hike is mislabeled as "easy". This is definitely a "moderate" trail, based upon a nearly 1,400' elevation gain over 3.0 miles, small water crossings in several spots, and some rocky terrain. Add those together and folks, that are only interested in "easy" hikes, might want to stay clear. That said, I highly recommend the hike.

Madi Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020

GORGEOUS THE WHOLE WAY!!! DID NOT DISAPPOINT

View Madi's Recording
Wren Jensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 1, 2020
HikingMuddy

this trail is always good and simple. it has many pretty views and is overall very nice. the trail can get very wet or muddy in places so you have to hop around a bit. the lake this time of year is cold and windy so if your planning on swimming go somewhere else unless you are looking into doing a polar plunge.

View Wren's Recording
PM Gifford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

Great trail and beautiful scenery: waterfalls, wooded area, paths marked well, some water across path in areas but easy to navigate around. Bring your bear spray! A curious black bear was about a mile in. Also, bug spray worth it. The lake is peacefully beautiful. I would label the trail as moderate, rather than easy due to continual incline.

Robin Mills
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

This was a nice hike. Up at the lake it was very windy and it felt as if our tent was close to flying away! It’s also not the easiest navigating around up at the lake because the small trails are hidden and there is brush all the way up to the water. I still am really glad I came up though, the sun rise was absolutely amazing. Oh! Don’t forget your bear spray!! We ran into a younger black bear near the beginning of the trail - he got the hint that we were close by once we yelled “hey bear” a few times and he stayed away. FISHING- We went right to the other side of the lake and crossed all the rocks and caught 11 rainbow fish total. We had better finishing in the evening at the same spot. We caught 7 in the evening time (and had lots of rises) and 4 in the morning (not many rises at all). We went from about 9pm -10:30pm and in the morning we went at 7am-8:30am. Also, we were fly fishing using small fry files. The fish were so cute!

Desiree Cozad
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2020
HikingSnow

Did this hike about 2 weeks for our first time. I'd say it was moderate, not easy. I clocked it to the lake and back being 8 miles not 5.6 and the sign there also says 8 miles. few places still had lots of run off to cross. Snow and cold wind at the lake but definitely plan on doing this hike again soon!

Traci Lajoie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 7, 2020

Beautiful hike about a week ago with just a little snow left by the lake. was awfully windy making it cold yet but would be a fun hike in the summer with a great place to jump in and cool down.

Jenn Sawyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020

5/30 tried the trail today. made it about 100 yards in and couldn't pass the water. We had 4 kids with us. there were quite a few vehicles at the trailhead so others must have made it! will try again in a month. nice road to the trailhead. if you drive up passed the trailhead for 2 miles you'll make it to the Lost Horse Observation Point. beautiful, worth the extra couple of minutes.

Paige Luhman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 25, 2020
Hiking

Nice day hike! Lake is still frozen and some snow but still beautiful! Steady incline for most of it but easy fun hike with or without kiddos

Jen J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2020
HikingSnow

This was a great hike full of diverse terrain. There were quite a few waters to cross over which made it fun for the kids. The last 1.5 miles was all snow... but not icy. Although. We hike a ton and I would not consider this easy. More like moderate.

Madison Doner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2019
Hiking

Absolutely loved this trailhead! This was my first hike I’ve done alone since moving here and I loved everything about this trail! Perfect amount of sun and shade. I love wooded hikes so this was awesome. Towards the middle of the hike I’d say it gets from easy to more moderate from there to the end its difficult but worth it! So many huckleberry bushes along the way! Overall would recommend this trail to everyone but be prepared for it to go from easy to moderate fairly quick. It takes about an hour and 15 minutes depending on your pace and stops you take to make it to the lake! Enjoy!