Learn more

Bridger Ridge Trail is a 18.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bozeman, Montana that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 18.2 miles Elevation Gain: 8,562 feet Route Type: Point to Point

This trail follows the Bridger Ridge and has a lot of elevation gain. It is also very exposed for the majority of the hike. This dramatic ridgeline climbs an insane amount and follows a narrow ridgeline the entire way. While it is not for the faint of heart, the views are as unbeatable and the feeling of accomplishment at the end of this run or hike. There is an annual race along this trail every year, so you have the option of running this with a pack or taking on this challenge on your own.

Absolutely difficult but also an amazing hike. Would recommend to anyone who has a need for adventure.

Hardest hike of my life. The ascent was bearable, and once you get the the top, you are rewarded with breathtaking views. I’m glad I had my poles with me on the way down. My knees were screaming!

Went yesterday, made it probably halfway between the M and Baldy before turning around due to slippery snow, but it was beautiful!

I ran the Bridger Ridge Run on Aug 10 2019. The most amazing run ever. It was on my bucket list. I turned 60 and trained for 4 months having never ran more than 10 miles. The trail was intense, with some really steep hiking and the last 5 miles running downhill to the M was by far the toughest quad workout of my life. Loved every minute. I was also lucky enough to meet the resident Mountain Goat on Sac. My time was 6:34. Finishing 4for my age group. A must for all trail runners and hikers.

Started from Fairy Lake and headed south. It was very windy, as expected, so bring running gloves and rain jacket at the least. Ross Peak certainly the steepest section. Using the AllTrails app map was very helpful. I ran parts of this trail, but I would say that most of it is not very runnable (scree or steep). Unexpected were a few foothill miles off the ridge at the start, which was nice.

10/10 experience less the knee jarring (4300 ft) decent from Baldy. Route finding is straightforward. Recommend starting early to catch the sunrise from the top of Sacajawea peak and avoid afternoon thunderstorms.

Sun Jun 09 2019

great hike, bring ample water.

Thu Aug 23 2018

It says 18.2 miles, but tracked 19.6 on the Garmin GPS watch. We also cut off almost a mile and took the steep route from the M to the bottom. Excellent hike but it is definitely long and difficult. Including breaks for food and water/general rest, 10.5 hours from start to finish. Worth doing for sure! Hiked North to South. Baldy to the bottom is definitely a long brutal downhill.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Went from Sac to the M and my phone logged about 23 miles. Hardest part was the climb right after Ross Pass. The descent off Baldy and the M to the TH was brutal! That took about 2.5 hours alone with tired legs. Took us just under 13 hours. Although I probably won’t do it again, I’d say it was worth it. Every time I go up to Fairy Lake, the road gets worse, be prepared!

Thu Jul 12 2018

Pretty awesome run/hike. There is a lot of vert. we ended up with 7500' of climbing but we stopped at Ross Pass and went back on the Bridger Foothills Trail. only bad part was limited spots to restock on water and pretty technical. But all around awesome run!

Sat Jun 02 2018

Sat Jan 27 2018

2017 BRR Finisher Amazing Views

Fri Apr 07 2017

You aren't a true Bozemanite unless you've hiked the ridge!

Mon Oct 19 2015

Very exposed for most of the trail but great views.

recorded Bridger Ridge Trail