Boulder Lake

Boulder Lake is a 12.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bonner, Montana and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, fly fishing, and horses and is best used from June until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Great hike to Boulder Lake. Such a beautiful lake. Also worth hiking up to Boulder Point to overlook the whole lake and surrounding area.

As of late May, there are still lots of downed trees across the trail from the fire. Snow completely covers the trail from the Wilderness boundary.

beautiful, worth the difficulty due to the downed trees. excited to do it again.

Monday, July 25, 2016

FS trail crews cleared trail on 7/18. We came out on Monday 7/18, found a pair of sunglasses at the lake and a bear spray as well, call me at 550-1811 if you want either of them back.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

I see the posts about downed logs but when we were there the trail crew was in the middle of clearing it. some steep parts, moderate is appropriate. the road in is rough with regolith and bedrock, don't go with bald tires. Fishing was epic, saw a moose, views beautiful and access around the shore acceptable. #1 problem, people are disgusting pigs. please pick up after yourselves and bury your poop flowers...we were immediately disappointed with the trashiness at the nearest camps.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Have to agree with Jeff, this trail is not enjoyable at all with all the downed trees. I was stubborn and went all the way but really should have turned around. I wouldn't recommend it until the trees have been cleared.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

I do not doubt the beauty of the lake however it is not accessible this year without some serious chainsaw work. Significant down timber. I turned back 2.2 miles in after coming to my 40th down tree on the trail :(. Forest Service says this trail is on the maintenance agenda for 2017...

Monday, June 22, 2015

It was a nice easy hike in. The first half mile on the way out was fairly steep, but overall not bad. There are few spots to set up camp. The spots we found were nice though. Overall, great for an overnighter.

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Amazing! We live to hike up and camp for the night! Don't forget your fishing gear!

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Awesome lake, fishing and views. Went the beginning of July, and the first part of the hike was covered in wildflowers Would suggest staying the night, we stayed two. The hike was a bit brutal with large packs on, as there are fairly steep parts going both ways. Campsites are rocky, but there are several around the lake. Biggest complaint was the road...check your spare! Overall, great trip.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

I had a great time hiking this trail. There is not a whole lot of shade trees because a fire has come through the area about 10-20 years ago. There is a lot of standing dead trees. The lake is absolutely beautiful and its worth hiking up to Boulder Point to see the whole surrounding area. Trail is actually around 5.88 miles one way despite what the trailhead sign says.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

It's been years since I've been to this lake but as I remember it, it was a beautiful lake surrounded with huge boulders, hence the name. The fishing was great! Be aware, if you plan to camp there, you have to slog half way around the lake to find a decent camp site. The hike is on a pretty good trail and some gorgeous views on the way in. Oh, bring plenty of mosquito repellent...you will probably need it! I'm hoping to go this summer to see if it's everything that I remember.