Boulder Creek

Boulder Creek is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Darby, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and fishing and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 826 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Beautifull hike! One downfall, the trail ends according to AllTrails, at the small river crossing after +/- 5km! So we turned arround. But if you want to see the waterfall you have to keep going after that point, i read. Beautifull tho!

See my review of Boulder falls.... Very overgrown and alltrails gives you bad directions

was a beautiful hike when your at the falls you can see a waterfall on the sw rock face lakes are much further up the trail boulder lake and crystal lake

My wife and I did this carrying our two little boys with us. Because of the extra weight it turned into about a 10-11 hour trip including rest/recreation stops. We left our camp site (Sam Billings Memorial Campground) at around 10:30am I think and got back at 9pm. 2-3 people in good shape I’m sure could do it in much less time. The trail includes many gorgeous photo opportunities and a variety of conditions. Rocky wet shaded dry etc. We could always tell if we got closer to the creek because the air would get remarkably cooler. It was a wonderful day and the waterfall in early June was unforgettable! So much more then I expected and the area around the waterfall was perfect for camping and exploring. This was not a difficult hike even with the extra weight. It was a lot of hard work but not challenging. I would say moderate or maybe even on the easy side of moderate. I think it was somewhere around 8 miles. This is definitely on our list to do again sometime!

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Great hike-did not seem overgrown but clear - would rate as moderate

Friday, August 31, 2018

Trail is a little overgrown, but there was no traffic. Beautiful hike along the water.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Beautiful hike! We went April 10 and made the first footprints (okay, holes) in some areas of the spring snowpack. It was a good workout as some parts of the trail were still covered in up to 10 inches of snow and our feet punched right through the surface. Without the snow and ice, this would be a great trail so we'll try later in the season next time. According to offline AllTrails tracking, the wilderness boundary sign was at 2.4 miles, the Crow Creek crossing (nice little rustic log bridge) was at 3.5 miles, and the falls at 5.5 miles. Gave it 4 stars because there are so many fallen trees blocking the trail, especially farther in. Even so, we'd do it again!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

This trail weaves close and far from the creek, through the deep forest. 4 miles up we came to the water fall and turned back. In the fall looking forward to the lake, the colors will be spectacular.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Beautiful trail meandering along the river. Fishing along the way. Moderate. Hiked to water fall about 5 miles back. Very quite and very few people. Didn't complete the whole trail....yet. Next season...

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Excellent hike. Beautiful lake at the top and nice views back over the Bitterroot Valley and West Fork on the way up and back. Best hike of the week.

Monday, September 03, 2018