Blue Mountain Lookout Deadman Ridge Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(190)
Lolo National Forest

Blue Mountain Lookout Deadman Ridge Trail is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Missoula, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 790 feet Route Type: Loop

Trail markings were absolutely terrible. Two wrong turns and we just took the nearest way out at that point. Beautiful flowers and the trail is very nice.

Went off trail a number of times. Bisecting trails get confusing.

Great place to hike with dogs! On it off leash.

Great views, good shade, a little crowded but many trails you can jump onto .

Choose your own adventure. Lots of trails. Lots of fun.

Great trail! Lots of sunshine

icy

icy

really enjoyed this trail. great for getting used to hiking in snow, which is new for me. the trail is great but some of it can get a bit hard to follow after fresh snow. would love to see a few more blazes, but it didn't detract from the fun

Awesome! Fun for hiking

Super dog friendly and lots of dogs out off leash!!!!!! beautiful scenery and beautiful people. you can choose sun or shade and elevation or stay I. the flats. THIS PLACE HAS IT ALL AND AMAZING VIEWS!

I have been on this trail many times but mostly in the summer. But the weather seems to be holding out a little bit more this year so while it’s chilly and some parts are a little bit muddy it was still an amazing hike with some really nice views. Highly recommended. This trail is open to dogs.

pretty nice, brought my almost 4 year old and almost 1 year old packed lots of snacks and water ad i thought it would be more challenging but o whale, it was a nice mild walk but maybe the other trails were more elevation (we just took the 301 for awhile). yes some horses and lots of dogs, some super exited dogs spooked my toddler but over all just friendly and exited. yes dog poop too to watch for. but ya know, if you wanna go out and experience nature in all its glory animal poop is gonna happen domestic or not. i for one would much rather the occasional walking around a pile (not much on the trail mostly off to the side anyways) than waste a whole plastic bag everytime an animal poops. your going out in to nature to enjoy the wild, yet bitc*ing when they do whats natural?

This is a really nice hike just outside of town with beautiful views of the hills and a few spots to see the valley below. The trail has a few stretches where it is rocky but a little attention to your steps and no problem. Plenty of others on trail but not overcrowded. There were also a couple trail runners and mountain bikers. Plenty of dogs both on and off leash. My only complaint is that there are plenty of people not picking up after their dogs for the first quarter mile from the trailhead. I’ve seen some places where a few refuse to pay attention or pick up but this one was the worst.

We live near this one so we go often. My biggest gripe is lazy dog owners not picking up after their dogs. My 2nd biggest gripe is irresponsible owners that bring dogs that shouldn’t be off leash. My dogs are friendly and obedient and obey my voice commands and I still bring a leash with me just in case. I have had dogs attack my dogs and run after my kids with bared teeth with the owners just shrugging it off like it’s beyond their control. I avoid on the weekends because of this. Wish folks in Missoula would do better at this it happens in our neighborhood, too, over at Kelly Island.

Perfect for walking, running, biking and families. Easy trails, heavy foot traffic, lots of friendly dogs off leash. NOT a great place for horses. Though horses have right of way on forest land, many are unaware of this - will challenge/deliberately spook or push you off the trail. Most, not all, dog owners won't hold their dogs back & several have tried to go after our horses.

The trail(s) are well used and meander across beautiful meadows filled with wildflowers. Lots of people of all ages, horses, and dogs were on every trail we took. It was a nice morning walk.

Not as scenic as we would have liked... but it was a good walk. We took trails, 301, 305, 306, 309, and 308. hiked to the top and back around again.

very scenic area with a number of different trails and permitted uses. I started at the second parking area off of forest road 365 as you turn off from Blue Mountain Road and headed towards the lookout on trail 3.01. the trail is mostly moderate as it meanders through the area, from my starting point to the lookout was roughly 9 miles. if you plan on wandering through the westward section for long you may want to bring bear spray, bear scat on the trail became more and more frequent the closer I got to the lookout. while the trails are pretty well marked for the most part, you may want to bring a map along or take a photo at the trailhead in case you get disoriented at one of the many intersections.

Mon May 27 2019

Great place to walk. We started at the parking lot and actually had several options of trails to walk. We chose the 301. Trails are marked decently and the scenery is amazing. We took are dog and it was totally manageable. In total we did about 5 miles and dis t even go the whole way on the 301. I suggest before getting started that you take a picture of the map of all the trails in the parking lot so you have a referance.

Just a simple hike with the dogs, probably not the exact trail but still a great route with leashed dogs

Tue Jan 15 2019

Great trail. Couldn't do backside as I felt I needed snowshoes and only had my yak tracks. Can't wait to try in the spring.

Sat Nov 03 2018

Went for a leisurely walk today with my mini Doxie and usually enjoy this trail but I had 6 large dogs come up to us today, unleashed. Two I had to yell several times to get away as my dog couldn't move and the owner...well maybe on her phone but what people don't get is even if your dog is somewhat trained and "nice", they get excited and step on my dog. This is not okay so please leash your dog or watch it at all times. And my rating was minus 1 star due to the hundred piles of poop along the trail, need to put up doggie bags perhaps?

Thu Mar 01 2018

I would rate this as a moderate to easy walk. The day I went there was lots of foot traffic and I was the only person who didn’t have a dog with them

Sun Nov 26 2017

Love this hike. Beautiful area. I wish people were better about cleaning up after their dogs.

Thu Oct 26 2017

Trail i frequent the most, easy and beautiful if you make to to the summit!

Mon Apr 17 2017

Very special place for the puppies to play, greet families of all kinds - highly recommend the extra mile to the summit: Worth it for the view!!