bridge out

Spent 4 days at Blue Lake. We backpacked in and spent a few nights and went on a couple nice day hikes to explore from there. It CAN be done as a day hike, to go up and then come right back, but I like how my friend put it, "Why would I wanna leave this?" It is a beautiful place to spend a few days. This was my very first backpacking trip ever, and it will definitely NOT be my last. We hiked around Blue Lake over to Thunder Lake and over to Thunder Rapids - VERY cool experience over there. Then we kinda strolled over to Granite Lake, but turned back as the weather was getting pretty hairy.

The one thing is to ignore the elevation indicators on the map...this was ALL uphill, with the second part after you cross the creek going into pretty strenuous hiking at times through several switch backs. Not too bad necessarily if you're just day hiking, but can be pretty intense if you've got 50+ lbs on your back.

We went during the middle of the week and came back Saturday morning, which I would say is perfect, as there were quite a few people that started coming up Friday night, and then a TON of people coming up Saturday. It's a very popular hiking area, which is good and bad depending on what you're wanting. Blue Lake is great to come up to if you're looking for a nice basecamp area to do other day hikes from. The primo spot is right in the middle of the peninsula where we set up out eating area.