Blue Lake

Blue Lake is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Melville, Montana that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, camping, and horses. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

We hiked just the first bit of this trail on Sept 16, 2017 primarily to see the waterfalls. The last 2 miles of road to the campground were very rough. The weather changed from sun to cold wind and light rain and back to sun in just a couple of hours, but we enjoyed the short hike and the waterfall is pretty and easy to access. There is a lot of rocky area around to get different views of the falls. Although it looked like great bear habitat, we did not see any animals except a few intrepid chipmunks. The views of the Crazies from the canyon road and all the way to the campground were spectacular, especially with the frosting of snow.

I would give this 10 starts if I could. My favorite hike out of all my hikes ♡ a challenge at points but a great experience. And blue lake does not disappoint! don't be fooled by the mud puddle that comes before it lol.

Great hiking! Water for filtering available most of the way. Rocky terrain so prepare with decent shoes.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

great Hike, interesting rock formations, and lots of wandering paths around the lakes.

Foragers will find Raspberries, Huckleberries, and elderberries in abundance around Mid August.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Awsome trail, moderate to easy. great family hike to blue lake and granite lake.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Crazy Mountains are called crazy because the weather changes so crazily - or so I've been told. The dates that I visited this location (September 8 and 9, 2014, were crazy. The weather was crisp but warm enough for short sleeve t-shirt, and the sun was shining. Set up camp at Half Moon campground. It was so late in the season the camping fee box was already sealed for the winter and the water pump handles were removed. (I had brought in my own water.) Overnight the temp dropped to freezing and a thick fog rolled in. I did the hike anyway with the trail still easy to follow in the fog (and I had a track laid out on my gps). I did get to Blue Lake, but I did not "see" it through the fog. The hike itself is very enjoyable. When I came back down the mountain I had a weather update that called for freezing sleet, so I sadly packed up camp a day early. I am going back in 2016... hoping to see the lake this time.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

We were there back in August 2015. The road to get to the trailhead is horrendous at the time, not sure if that is a one off or just how it is, but we nearly got car sick bouncing around from about halfway in until we got to the parking lot, in a 4 wheel drive vehicle which seems like a must. BUT, with that being said, the trail itself more than made up for that bump in the road (or bumps!). Big Timber Falls is a great first stop, and it only gets better from there. The scenery is amazing! I was awestruck the entire hike, stopping here and there just to take in the beauty of the area. Never seen anything like it in my life!

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Nice day hike or base camp for a couple days of exploring. The .4 mile side trip to Timber Falls is a very short must.

Friday, July 03, 2015

Great campground. You aren't right on the Big Timber creek, but you can hear it from the camp spots. Only $5 a night and great access to trails. At a minimum, you want to walk up to the Big Timber Falls which is only a 20 minute hike. You will find snow on the trails up to Blue Lake through June. Can't recommend enough.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Phenomenal place. Great scenery, lots of flowers and lofty peaks. Fishing wasn't the best as I remember, probably due to all of the traffic. Please respect the no fire rule around the lakes, this is a busy place.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Great hiking and camping. To Blue Lake - 4 hours in, 2 hours out. Be aware of the wood fire restrictions. Don't miss Big Timber Creek Falls about 5+ minutes into hike (sign and path on left). Or the falls just above the first bridge on the right. Horseback trail rides available in area. It looked like the Lazy K Bar Ranch provided cabins and horses.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Great backpacking trip with our 3 teenagers. After 3rd bridge, finding trail was difficult, lots of snow (June) but we found our way up to the drainage pond below Granite and Blue lake. Also along trail, one huge washed out ravine to climb down and over, there is a horse path marked there also. Beautiful scenery! We loved this home, also stop at big timber falls on your way out