Blodgett Canyon to Waterfall

Blodgett Canyon to Waterfall is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hamilton, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail. Tons of great views and easy scrambling. When we went the creek was out of its banks so we had to take a few detours. About 6 miles in the canyon narrows and is more wooded. Tons of great rapids and scenery.

Really liked this trail. It had a bit of everything. Rock cliffs, waterfalls, beaver dams...

Beautiful hike but it needs to be upgraded from easy to moderate. At least 1/3 of the trail is made of lots of big rocks and this makes a bit harder to travel across.

Beautiful hike, we actually went up past the two waterfalls to make it a 12mile round trip. Excellent scenery for the majority of the route, some parts are through trees providing shade but are also a bit overgrown. There were a few mosquitos so I'd recommend bug spray.

Enjoyed it!

This trail is more of a nature walk than anything. We walked the trail until it died out due to snow still being present and covering it up. I'm not sure why this trail gets such high ratings... Maybe we're just spoiled from living around here? the waterfall is more just water running down the side of the mountain versus an actual "fall." Also, as far as a "kid friendly" hike, I'd completely disagree - especially if you're trying to get to the falls. i spent 3.5 years in the army special operations community and we hike at least 4 times per month so we're not strangers to hard hikes. while not the hardest hike ever im SO glad we didn't bring my 7 year old who has made it to the top of mt. sentinel.

If you're looking for more of a "wow" factor, hike the blodgett overlook. it's way shorter, way easier and much prettier the entire time.

Since I got my dog Todd a month ago I've been going on more and more hikes. This one turned out to be longer than I had thought it was, but it was worth it! I couldn't believe the change of scenery throughout the hike and the ending falls was worth it! There is a good amount of traffic, however we went on a Sunday and memorial weekend. Todd is a small dog and he was able to make the full treck without having to stop often. Round trip is 7 miles not 4. It's about 3.5 to the falls. Beautiful stunning and one of my new favorites!

Very interesting scenery that changed rapidly...views of rock cliffs, forest, still water lakes, and rapids. Not too steep or challenging but very enjoyable. Closer to 8 miles round trip to the falls.

This hike is pretty incredible from the start especially with the sun hitting the massive canyon walls. At about mile 3 is a perfect little camping spot that made me wish I would have thrown the sleeping bags on the pack. Water fall was not massive but was gorgeous and definitely worth the hike to see.

We did this trail in March so there was still a lot of snow cover. We went in about 2.5-3 miles before heading back. It was beautiful and I def. want to go back in the summer months! We saw a mama and baby moose across the river/stream and had to high tail out of there (since we had our chase friendly dogs).

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Beautiful scenery throughout the seasons.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

My dog Patton loved it. Not to crowded. Great views at every turn.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Hiked to waterfall! Nice

Sunday, July 03, 2016

amazing! way longer than we origonally that thought it was. it took us and our two girls and two dogs about four and a half hours with maybe a 20-minute break at the waterfall. I would go I guess but it's close to seven and a half or 8 Miles. where this app said that it was 4.9 miles total. well worth it it was beautiful

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Great trail! Took our 13month old and nearly 3 year old - 3 year old made it most of the way himself! Parts are very rocky and some wet areas on the trail as well. Wonderful views of the canyon and such clear water!

Monday, November 16, 2015

Gorgeous. One of my favorite weekly hikes. WONDERFUL opportunities to see wildlife, be sure to bring binoculars!!
To owners who bring their dogs, I would recommend leashing them within the first two miles where the traffic volume is higher. It is recommended on the sign posted at the trailhead for safety reasons... I came face to face with a mountain lion on two separate occasions this summer and am very thankful I had my dog leashed. Also, not every dog that is off of the leash is friendly to other dogs (on leash). Had an incident today where five unleashed dogs cornered my dog which almost resulted in a dog fight... And somehow I was the one to blame? Dog owners beware that not every dog owner on this trail is friendly or using common sense.
Despite some grumpy, non-sense dog owners I will continue to hike this trail. I have made many friendly acquaintances and the photo opportunities are abundant and breathtaking. GO FOR IT!!!

Monday, September 21, 2015

Incredible beauty not to be missed! The hike is fairly simple with a 3.5 miles to the falls. The home takes you through many areas from lush forest to open valleys, and along clear, still ponds. The majesty of the valley is amazing the entire time. Definitely one of our favorite hikes in western Montana!

Sunday, July 12, 2015

This trail is amazing. 3.2 miles from the trailhead to the bridge and a little over 3/4 of a mile to the waterfall. The last 3/4 of a mile can be long but it's worth it. This trail doesn't at first appear difficult but it is 8 miles round trip to the falls and this rocky Montana trail is unrelenting. I would say there is about .1 % of the active population that could run this trail. Pack water and a snack and be prepaired for a full 4 hours of spectacular views and difficult hiking!!!

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Beautiful area, the water is clear and a gorgeous green! The Indian Paintbrush is in full bloom among other wildflowers. The trail is easy..I would recommend it for families. I ran it with my pack and had no trouble. I didn't give it a full 5 stars only because I was expecting more from the waterfall.