Blodgett Canyon Overlook Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(188)
Bitterroot National Forest

Blodgett Canyon Overlook Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hamilton, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 531 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Fun, easy hike. Some loose rocks but not too bad. It’s a very narrow trail with not a lot of places to step off, so a bit challenging for social distancing because it was super crowded on a Sunday afternoon, but we’d definitely come back.

Awesome trail. Beautiful wildflowers. Turned around because of an incoming T-Storm.

Great easy trail meandering up to a fantastic overview of Blodgett Creek. Wild flowers were at their best.

A great hike. My watched clocked 1.4 miles to the top. The views from the top are beautiful. You can see all of Blodgett with huge mountains in the background. I would rate it as a moderate hike. I would recommend hiking in the morning because there is not a lot of shade. My dogs did great. Pack water for your dogs if you bring them. There are also a couple benches on the way up.

Great trail for everyone of all ages. The view from the top is incredible.

hiked this today. accidentally left our Nikon camera . if found, PLEASE call 3604852457

Fun trail, with amazing views! We were skeptical about driving up to the trailhead. There is a lot of snow of the road and mud underneath. but we manage to get to the trailhead in our Subaru Outback. I wouldn't try it with a small car though with all the snow on the road 04/04/2020

hiked this today with 4 adults and 5 kids ages 5 to 11. easy and short hike with incredible views. we did lose the trail for a bit due to the snow but found it and kept on. quite a bit of deep snow on the final half mile to the top but we managed. beautiful huge rocks at the top with spectacular views!

Beautiful short winter hike with kids

icy

Pretty easy hike. A little elevation gain at the beginning but still a fun, easy hike. The road was slick but manageable. Very pretty view from the top!

Awesome hike with a great view! The first time I hiked here I had no idea how fantastic the scenery would be. It's a quick hike compared to hiking down in the canyon. Although both are amazing, this is a great one to see the size of Blodgett.

Highly recommend this easy hike. It has an ending point so it is easy to plan. Beautiful view of Blodgett canyon once you reach the top. Easy terrain. My 3 year old hiked this with me today for the first time.

well kept

Great easy trail, not too muddy end of October.

Easy hike with an amazing view.

Here visiting from Oregon! Great trail & amazing view!

This was an amazing hike overall, maybe a little harder then we thought it would be... However, so worth it! We were not prepared for the amazing views at the top... stunning!

If you are searching for a beautiful view but not willing to put in the effort, then this is the perfect hike for you! We took my family up here and they enjoyed it (my mother despises anything that consists of tennis shoes) lol. And if you are in search for huckleberries, don’t be disappointed by the absence in the beginning of the hike as there are a BUNCH once you get closer to the Overlook. Fun little hike. 3 stars because we didn’t have to work hard for the payoff. Bring a lunch, appreciate the view, and spend some time with the chipmunks :) Enjoy!

Fairly easy hike in which the first half is all gradual upward sloping switchbacks, and the second half has no switchbacks. The uphill climb is constant but gradual for the entire length of the trail and easy enough for beginners. Not a lot of shade, but the openness affords great views of the valley below throughout the hike. Great payoff at the end. Less traveled than the Bear Creek Overlook, easier, and equal in the payoff.