Benton Lake National Wildlife Refuge

Benton Lake National Wildlife Refuge is a 13.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Great Falls, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

Benton Lake National Wildlife Refuge covering 12,383 acres is located on the western edge of the northern Great Plains, 50 miles east of the Rocky Mountains and 12 miles north of Great Falls. Benton Lake is a 5,000-acre pot hole wetland created by continental glaciers thousands of years ago. Over 6,000 acres of intact, northern mixed-grass prairie provide annual habitat for grassland birds for fall and spring migration and breeding. Waterbird use on the Refuge is highest during fall and spring migration periods both in wet and dry periods. As more of the basin is flooded in both the spring and fall, critical migration habitat is provided as stopover areas for waterfowl, shorebirds, wading birds, and other species of birds of prey, songbirds, rails, and blackbirds.

scenic driving

had planned to walk this with my kids, but the weather didn't cooperate and when we got there we saw a sign advising us that we are in bear country and bear spray was recommended. I would have brought some had i known this sooner. so we drove instead. we mostly saw ducks and just a few other birds. the wildflowers were pretty. we're did walk out on the boardwalk and my kids saw an otter they said. the visitors center was closed due to staffing issues.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

This is good for seeing a variety of birds. My family and I saw snow geese, a prairie falcon, and plenty of loons.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Tons of wildlife. Nice walk, little bit swampy like during spring/summer though (bring the bug spray!)

off road driving
Saturday, December 03, 2016

Didn't hike just drove through. saw an owl and coyote.

Friday, November 04, 2016