New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Belly River Trail

Belly River Trail is a 15.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Babb, Montana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 15.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,368 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I did this on July 22 through to Gable Creek Campground. The first two miles are an easy downhill (and kind of a pain on the way back so be prepared for a slog especially if it is hot.) The mosquitoes were the worst I’ve ever seen. They bit through compression sleeves and shirts. I counted over 100 mosquito bites. Once we got to the campground it was worse. So in case it is a hot day, about to rain, and not windy (a good wind blows them away), I recommend good bug spray, a bug net for your face and neck, and thicker fabric. If you stay at the campground, the biggest spot and best spot to avoid heavy wind is on the right, either the first or second one. Water is easily accessible from a stream right next to the food prep area (look up for the food-hanging bar.) The pit toilet is immaculate and was bug-free when I went. The rangers will check your itinerary paperwork so be sure to have it on you, and they will warn you if they see you bringing your food from your campsite, as a couple of campers did. According to a ranger there was a black bear frequenting the food prep area before we got there at noon, but the ranger said she shooed away the bear and we did not see or hear it.

Sat Aug 11 2018

pretty cool not many people on it. the views don't get good till the ranger station so it also gets hot

Tue Sep 05 2017