Learn more

Belly River Trail to Cosley Lake [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(28)
Glacier National Park

Belly River Trail to Cosley Lake is a 17.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Babb, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

Length 17.8 mi Elevation gain 1,876 ft Route type Out & Back
Backpacking Camping Hiking Nature trips Forest Lake River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Muddy Closed No dogs
Description
Waypoints (0)

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (28)
Photos (33)
Recordings (25)
Completed (49)
Tonya Lively
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2019
Backpacking

Early June 2019 Goal: to hike and camp somewhere near the Canadian border because I was heading to Banff in two days. At the mercy of the rangers pick he picked this one. He suggested I camp at Cosley Lake. I had a hotel in Kellispell MT and got my back country permit the day before at Apgar. LOTS OF DRIVING! I parked at the River Belly TH. I ate breakfast in the parking lot and started my hike around noon. The bear signs were immediate and everywhere from footprints, tree scratches and very fresh skat. I did not see a bear. The trail was in good shape for the time of year. Most of the snow had melted. I discussed with the ranger that there is a water crossing but there is only a rope to help you get across. So we decided I should stay right at the River Belly Ranger station at about 7 miles in. And take the suspension bridge. I got distracted by the cute ranger station and the beauty I continued straight. I realized I went the wrong way when I saw another sign that said “Cosley 2.6” miles.... that is what the sign said at the ranger station too!!! so I continued... over a suspension bridge and up and over a little patch of snow. Then I arrived at the lake... I was a bit confused when I got to the lake, it was hard to see the rope, and I was shocked at how much water I was going to have to cross without a bridge. I took off my pack and wadded into the water... thigh deep! I continued on... once on the other side of the water the only thing I could think about was getting my clothes off! There are two food hanging stations and two different locations to cook and prepare food and 4 really nice campsites. I made it to camp. Hung my food and changed my clothes set up came and ate dinner. I watched mountain goats until it got too dark to see across the lake. Slept horrible. The waterfall across the lake kept me up all night! I know! Such a thing to complain about. The next morning. I went the right way across the suspension bridge and made it back to my car by noon. Thought about climbing bear mountain, but decided I still had a long way to travel. I did see a moose, tons of deer, mountain goats, what I think was a Pine Marten. Lots of prairie dogs, all I do is think about my next trip. .

Doug K.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2018

This trail is dope, do it. Stay the night at Cosley

Bernie Gawne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2018

Great hike. Not hard pretty flat.

Mariah Kanistanaux
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2017
First to Review

This trail is amazing! We started at the Belly River Trailhead and hiked into Cosley Lake and stayed one night. The trail descends gradually at the beginning, and flattens out for the majority of the hike. A few miles in, the trail opens up and you're greeted with giant fields filled with dandelions (if you go early in the season). We stopped for lunch at the ranger station, which is a little over 6 miles from the trailhead. From there, you'll cross a cool swinging bridge and eventually reach Gros Ventre falls. You might be hurting by now if you have a big overnight pack on, but hang in you're almost there! When you reach the head of Cosley Lake you won't be disappointed. Its a pretty good sized lake surrounded by beautiful mountains, can't really go wrong there. Hope you enjoy! And don't forget your bug spray :)

Kim Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2019
View Kim's Recording
G Phillips
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2019
View G's Recording
G Phillips
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 29, 2019
View G's Recording
Diana Gonzalez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2019
View Diana's Recording
Brandon Kline
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2019
View Brandon's Recording
Diana Gonzalez
View Diana's Recording
Brandon Kline
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2019
View Brandon's Recording
Aaron Doll
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2019
View Aaron's Recording
Mike Movall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2019
Pierre Criado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2019
View Pierre's Recording
Pierre Criado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2019
View Pierre's Recording
David Buehrle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2019
View David's Recording
David Buehrle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2019
View David's Recording
Natalia Dzoba
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 8, 2019
View Natalia's Recording
Brian C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2019
View Brian's Recording
Brian C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2019
View Brian's Recording
Dennis Schoenleben
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2019
View Dennis's Recording
Abraham Epton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2018
View Abraham's Recording
Abraham Epton
View Abraham's Recording
Meredith Herndon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2018
View Meredith's Recording
Randall Buttliere
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 11, 2017
Jeff McElroy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2017
View Jeff's Recording
Jeff McElroy
View Jeff's Recording
Frankenfoot Frankenfoot
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 29, 2016