Beehive Basin Trail No. 40

Beehive Basin Trail No. 40 is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sky Mountain Village, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Out of Bozeman, take Hey 191 south to Big Sky. Turn at the light and heads towards Big Sky Resort and Lone Peak. Continue up past the turn to Big Sky Resort. Prior to the Moonlight Basin entrance, take a right on Beehive Basin Road. Continue to trail head and park in the designated area.

Beautiful and family friendly. Steep parts followed by flat terrain so you don’t get too tired.

Went with the family and my sister’s family to hike to the basin. Beautiful day for the hike. Nice rolling fields with some steeper sections, especially towards the top.

Pretty heavily traveled trail and parking is scarce. Good luck finding a spot after 10am when it’s just hit and miss as people are leaving.

Absolutely grogeous, some rocky terrain. get to uphill all the way. plenty of trees to go potty behind. just becareful of the behive at the top.

Fun hike! The elevation was no joke. We made it about 2.5 miles up and then the snow was too deep to make it to the lake on 6/7/18.

This hike is amazing! Wild flowers and scenic views of the Spanish Peaks basically the entire time. The incline is steady but the trail is very well marked and maintained. Plan to spend time at the top as it is so beautiful, but bring bear spray as there is wildlife everywhere!

Beautiful.

We made it to about 1 mile from the summit due to snow. It was deep and hard to climb in. Views are stunning and it was peaceful. Decent inclines.

Pretty great hike! My 9 year old daughter hiked this trail with me. I was surprised considering the grade and 7.1 mile out and back! This is a beautiful hike with a pretty little lake at the top! Bring bear spray. Wear layers and have a water pack if you’re going in the warm weather and of course, snacks. You’ll want to hang out at the top for a while and enjoy the view! Wild flowers galore. Very pretty hike!

We did this trail years ago absolutely beautiful! Saw a mother moose and her calf

This trail was way more difficult that we expected it to be. We plenned to do 3 hikes the day we did this one and luckily completed Beehive Basin first! My friend and I are in good shape but it kicked our butts. There's a good mix of wide open spaces, rocky inclines, and wooded trail. We saw a moose within the first minute of hiking here. The rest of the trail was very peaceful, we had it to ourselves almost the entire time.

We saw a momma and 2 cub black bears one mile from the TH. Great views the whole way, and the trail is in very good shape. A couple of fish jumped in the lake.

Amazing hike. Hard trip for the first day.

Good trail with a fairly easy incline for most of the trip. Some steep sections but nothing crazy. Lots of small creeks cross the trail even in mid August. Tons of people here so do not expect to see any wild life. Busiest trail I've been on in a long time, but beautiful scenery! Very small lake at the top, I wouldn't expect good fishing.

Gorgeous trail! When you get to the lake at the top, keep going to the left and follow it to the rock ledge looking over the lake and valley.

Easy sloping run. Great view and flower fields

A fabulous trail, well-maintained, quite heavy traffic however. We were hoping to see Bear or Moose but on a Sunday, I suspect they were hiding from all the human traffic. Views, wildflowers and lake are stunning. Completely worth the effort and quite achievable for all. Take your time and pack a picnic to enjoy at the end of the trail

As everyone on the way down says "it's worth it no matter how hard you're breathing".

This was difficult on the way up and we are very active. So gratifying and worth it!!

Beautiful!

Awesome beautiful and challenging

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Beautiful hike...uphill most of the way so fairly strenuous. 2.75 miles each way.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Great trail, some technical parts that preventing me from running (not to mention the altitude factor). Scenery is tough to beat. Rewarding and gorgeous. Best to hit this trail early in the day to avoid the peak of hiking activity. I went at 8am which was perfect. All Trails overestimates both the distance and elevation gain. It was 6.2 miles round trip and more like 1350 elevation gain. Overall, worth it with great views and great wildlife!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Amazing hike. Kids (11 and 6 years old) hiked the whole thing with no complains. Views along the way and at the top are gorgeous.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

If you are from Missouri, this trail can be exhausting. It was worth making it to the top. My son caught a trout at the lake. It was awesome!

Monday, June 26, 2017

This was a beautiful hike. Mountains, rivers, wildflowers, breathtaking views. It was pretty steep at times but my husband, 10 year old son and I made it with no problems.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

went when snow covered so was a difficult hike and lost sight of the trail. didn't get to see the lake or open terrain but still saw some beautiful sights.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

The last 25% on the outbound is challenging, both in terms of incline and tree roots. Don't give up, though! As a 74 year-old, occasional hiker, it was well worth the climb! Take plenty of water and maybe a picnic for a rest stop at the beautiful lake.

Friday, April 07, 2017

Difficult to follow trail during the winter due to backcountry ski trails. I will definitely head back in the summer. Great views of the Spanish Peaks.