Beehive Basin Trail No. 40

Beehive Basin Trail No. 40 is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sky Mountain Village, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Out of Bozeman, take Hey 191 south to Big Sky. Turn at the light and heads towards Big Sky Resort and Lone Peak. Continue up past the turn to Big Sky Resort. Prior to the Moonlight Basin entrance, take a right on Beehive Basin Road. Continue to trail head and park in the designated area.

We made it to about 1 mile from the summit due to snow. It was deep and hard to climb in. Views are stunning and it was peaceful. Decent inclines.

Pretty great hike! My 9 year old daughter hiked this trail with me. I was surprised considering the grade and 7.1 mile out and back! This is a beautiful hike with a pretty little lake at the top! Bring bear spray. Wear layers and have a water pack if you’re going in the warm weather and of course, snacks. You’ll want to hang out at the top for a while and enjoy the view! Wild flowers galore. Very pretty hike!

We did this trail years ago absolutely beautiful! Saw a mother moose and her calf

This trail was way more difficult that we expected it to be. We plenned to do 3 hikes the day we did this one and luckily completed Beehive Basin first! My friend and I are in good shape but it kicked our butts. There's a good mix of wide open spaces, rocky inclines, and wooded trail. We saw a moose within the first minute of hiking here. The rest of the trail was very peaceful, we had it to ourselves almost the entire time.

We saw a momma and 2 cub black bears one mile from the TH. Great views the whole way, and the trail is in very good shape. A couple of fish jumped in the lake.

Amazing hike. Hard trip for the first day.

Good trail with a fairly easy incline for most of the trip. Some steep sections but nothing crazy. Lots of small creeks cross the trail even in mid August. Tons of people here so do not expect to see any wild life. Busiest trail I've been on in a long time, but beautiful scenery! Very small lake at the top, I wouldn't expect good fishing.

Gorgeous trail! When you get to the lake at the top, keep going to the left and follow it to the rock ledge looking over the lake and valley.

Easy sloping run. Great view and flower fields

A fabulous trail, well-maintained, quite heavy traffic however. We were hoping to see Bear or Moose but on a Sunday, I suspect they were hiding from all the human traffic. Views, wildflowers and lake are stunning. Completely worth the effort and quite achievable for all. Take your time and pack a picnic to enjoy at the end of the trail

As everyone on the way down says "it's worth it no matter how hard you're breathing".

This was difficult on the way up and we are very active. So gratifying and worth it!!

Beautiful!

Awesome beautiful and challenging

Beautiful hike...uphill most of the way so fairly strenuous. 2.75 miles each way.

Great trail, some technical parts that preventing me from running (not to mention the altitude factor). Scenery is tough to beat. Rewarding and gorgeous. Best to hit this trail early in the day to avoid the peak of hiking activity. I went at 8am which was perfect. All Trails overestimates both the distance and elevation gain. It was 6.2 miles round trip and more like 1350 elevation gain. Overall, worth it with great views and great wildlife!

Amazing hike. Kids (11 and 6 years old) hiked the whole thing with no complains. Views along the way and at the top are gorgeous.

If you are from Missouri, this trail can be exhausting. It was worth making it to the top. My son caught a trout at the lake. It was awesome!

This was a beautiful hike. Mountains, rivers, wildflowers, breathtaking views. It was pretty steep at times but my husband, 10 year old son and I made it with no problems.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

went when snow covered so was a difficult hike and lost sight of the trail. didn't get to see the lake or open terrain but still saw some beautiful sights.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

The last 25% on the outbound is challenging, both in terms of incline and tree roots. Don't give up, though! As a 74 year-old, occasional hiker, it was well worth the climb! Take plenty of water and maybe a picnic for a rest stop at the beautiful lake.

Friday, April 07, 2017

Difficult to follow trail during the winter due to backcountry ski trails. I will definitely head back in the summer. Great views of the Spanish Peaks.

Monday, January 30, 2017

There are some challenging parts if you're snowshoeing this trail and the parking is very limited- so carpool if you can. But you get beautiful views of the resort, Lone Peak and the Spanish Peaks! I definitely plan on going back!

Monday, November 28, 2016

Pros: Fantastic views, summer meadow wildflowers, glacier lakes, moderate grades, occasional shade.
Cons: Limited parking

Saturday, November 05, 2016

One of my favorites. Unfortunately, a lot of other people think so too, so it can get busy. It is so beautiful and well worth the trip.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Strenuous but well maintained. Beautiful views even on a cloudy cold say.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

One of my favorites! The hike is very entertaining, with various views and terrains along the way. The lake is like a little mountain-top oasis. We had the whole place to ourselves the last time we did the hike. It was great!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Great hike. Creek and lake for dogs to drink.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Good challenge for a family hike. We took all our kids between two families -- ages 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 and an infant. All the kids made it and the lake at the top is beautiful. It is a long hike for the kids though.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

This hike was slightly strenuous but I still had plenty of energy at the top. Don't stop at the lake, the trail winds its way up to the rock fall under the butte and the views from up there are unbelievable.