Beehive Basin Trail No. 40

Beehive Basin Trail No. 40 is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sky Mountain Village, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Out of Bozeman, take Hey 191 south to Big Sky. Turn at the light and heads towards Big Sky Resort and Lone Peak. Continue up past the turn to Big Sky Resort. Prior to the Moonlight Basin entrance, take a right on Beehive Basin Road. Continue to trail head and park in the designated area.

Amazing hike. Very popular so get there early.
A small lake near top with some swimming in it. We hiked about 1/2 mile further past a rock cliff for more views. Wild flowers everywhere. Most difficult part was past the lake, but very doable.
Was a little hazy the day we went, most likely due to wildfires in California/Oregon?

Did this hike at the suggestion of a local we chatted with at Beehive Brewery while traveling through Big Sky. It was great! So many wild flowers! It was beautiful. The reward at the top was a splendid little lake. We continued past and enjoyed a picnic on top of a small mountain area over looking the lake. Although this is obviously a very popular hike, the trail did not seem overly crowded.

Killer views throughout! Would definitely recommend hiking around the basin and up a bit further past the lakes. Totally beautiful.

Absolutely gorgeous scenery! The wildflowers were breathtakingly beautiful. Enjoyed having a picnic at the lake at the top. It felt like I was in another world with the different trees and rocks. It was nice having a jacket because it gets a lot cooler at the top. For my first hike ever, it was quite a trek! I loved it!!

4WD only, final mile to TH.
Wasted early morning start on a place I couldn’t go

Great hike!! Lots of great views! Beautiful wildflowers!

Great hike, had the lake to myself for a bit. Tough trek for this flatlander but views were worth it. Plenty of streams for the pup to drink from too.

Stayed at a house on Beehive Loop Rd so was able to cut off the first mile. If you want something more challenging continue on the path past Beehive Lake and scramble up over the ridge that offers views north and east of Gallatin Peak. Elevation got to around 10k feet. Overall it's a great hike even if you stick to the trail.

Beautiful hike and challenging, lots of wild flowers and wildlife I recommend going early I made it to the trailhead at about 9:30 am and it was pretty quiet only a few cars. But on the way down it got pretty busy. And once you get to the lake at the top keep following the trail around the cliff to get the best views! It’s a must do.

A beautiful hike with wonderful wild flowers. For some one from sea level it was quite a trek

Most beautiful hike I’ve ever done. Allow 3-4 hours to fully appreciate.

Beautiful and family friendly. Steep parts followed by flat terrain so you don’t get too tired.

Went with the family and my sister’s family to hike to the basin. Beautiful day for the hike. Nice rolling fields with some steeper sections, especially towards the top.

Pretty heavily traveled trail and parking is scarce. Good luck finding a spot after 10am when it’s just hit and miss as people are leaving.

Absolutely grogeous, some rocky terrain. get to uphill all the way. plenty of trees to go potty behind. just becareful of the behive at the top.

Fun hike! The elevation was no joke. We made it about 2.5 miles up and then the snow was too deep to make it to the lake on 6/7/18.

This hike is amazing! Wild flowers and scenic views of the Spanish Peaks basically the entire time. The incline is steady but the trail is very well marked and maintained. Plan to spend time at the top as it is so beautiful, but bring bear spray as there is wildlife everywhere!

Beautiful.

We made it to about 1 mile from the summit due to snow. It was deep and hard to climb in. Views are stunning and it was peaceful. Decent inclines.

Pretty great hike! My 9 year old daughter hiked this trail with me. I was surprised considering the grade and 7.1 mile out and back! This is a beautiful hike with a pretty little lake at the top! Bring bear spray. Wear layers and have a water pack if you’re going in the warm weather and of course, snacks. You’ll want to hang out at the top for a while and enjoy the view! Wild flowers galore. Very pretty hike!

We did this trail years ago absolutely beautiful! Saw a mother moose and her calf

This trail was way more difficult that we expected it to be. We plenned to do 3 hikes the day we did this one and luckily completed Beehive Basin first! My friend and I are in good shape but it kicked our butts. There's a good mix of wide open spaces, rocky inclines, and wooded trail. We saw a moose within the first minute of hiking here. The rest of the trail was very peaceful, we had it to ourselves almost the entire time.

We saw a momma and 2 cub black bears one mile from the TH. Great views the whole way, and the trail is in very good shape. A couple of fish jumped in the lake.

Amazing hike. Hard trip for the first day.

Good trail with a fairly easy incline for most of the trip. Some steep sections but nothing crazy. Lots of small creeks cross the trail even in mid August. Tons of people here so do not expect to see any wild life. Busiest trail I've been on in a long time, but beautiful scenery! Very small lake at the top, I wouldn't expect good fishing.

Friday, August 11, 2017

Gorgeous trail! When you get to the lake at the top, keep going to the left and follow it to the rock ledge looking over the lake and valley.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Easy sloping run. Great view and flower fields

Monday, July 31, 2017

A fabulous trail, well-maintained, quite heavy traffic however. We were hoping to see Bear or Moose but on a Sunday, I suspect they were hiding from all the human traffic. Views, wildflowers and lake are stunning. Completely worth the effort and quite achievable for all. Take your time and pack a picnic to enjoy at the end of the trail

Saturday, July 29, 2017

As everyone on the way down says "it's worth it no matter how hard you're breathing".