Beehive Basin Trail No. 40

Beehive Basin Trail No. 40 is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sky Mountain Village, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Out of Bozeman, take Hey 191 south to Big Sky. Turn at the light and heads towards Big Sky Resort and Lone Peak. Continue up past the turn to Big Sky Resort. Prior to the Moonlight Basin entrance, take a right on Beehive Basin Road. Continue to trail head and park in the designated area.

We did this trail years ago absolutely beautiful! Saw a mother moose and her calf

This trail was way more difficult that we expected it to be. We plenned to do 3 hikes the day we did this one and luckily completed Beehive Basin first! My friend and I are in good shape but it kicked our butts. There's a good mix of wide open spaces, rocky inclines, and wooded trail. We saw a moose within the first minute of hiking here. The rest of the trail was very peaceful, we had it to ourselves almost the entire time.

We saw a momma and 2 cub black bears one mile from the TH. Great views the whole way, and the trail is in very good shape. A couple of fish jumped in the lake.

Amazing hike. Hard trip for the first day.

Good trail with a fairly easy incline for most of the trip. Some steep sections but nothing crazy. Lots of small creeks cross the trail even in mid August. Tons of people here so do not expect to see any wild life. Busiest trail I've been on in a long time, but beautiful scenery! Very small lake at the top, I wouldn't expect good fishing.

Gorgeous trail! When you get to the lake at the top, keep going to the left and follow it to the rock ledge looking over the lake and valley.

Easy sloping run. Great view and flower fields

A fabulous trail, well-maintained, quite heavy traffic however. We were hoping to see Bear or Moose but on a Sunday, I suspect they were hiding from all the human traffic. Views, wildflowers and lake are stunning. Completely worth the effort and quite achievable for all. Take your time and pack a picnic to enjoy at the end of the trail

As everyone on the way down says "it's worth it no matter how hard you're breathing".

This was difficult on the way up and we are very active. So gratifying and worth it!!

Beautiful!

Awesome beautiful and challenging

Beautiful hike...uphill most of the way so fairly strenuous. 2.75 miles each way.

Great trail, some technical parts that preventing me from running (not to mention the altitude factor). Scenery is tough to beat. Rewarding and gorgeous. Best to hit this trail early in the day to avoid the peak of hiking activity. I went at 8am which was perfect. All Trails overestimates both the distance and elevation gain. It was 6.2 miles round trip and more like 1350 elevation gain. Overall, worth it with great views and great wildlife!

Amazing hike. Kids (11 and 6 years old) hiked the whole thing with no complains. Views along the way and at the top are gorgeous.

If you are from Missouri, this trail can be exhausting. It was worth making it to the top. My son caught a trout at the lake. It was awesome!

This was a beautiful hike. Mountains, rivers, wildflowers, breathtaking views. It was pretty steep at times but my husband, 10 year old son and I made it with no problems.

went when snow covered so was a difficult hike and lost sight of the trail. didn't get to see the lake or open terrain but still saw some beautiful sights.

The last 25% on the outbound is challenging, both in terms of incline and tree roots. Don't give up, though! As a 74 year-old, occasional hiker, it was well worth the climb! Take plenty of water and maybe a picnic for a rest stop at the beautiful lake.

Difficult to follow trail during the winter due to backcountry ski trails. I will definitely head back in the summer. Great views of the Spanish Peaks.