Learn more

Beartrack Trail to Silver Run Plateau

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(32)
Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness

Beartrack Trail to Silver Run Plateau is a 18.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 18.2 miles Elevation Gain: 4,475 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bike touring

First 4 miles are rough (steep switchbacks!). The trail is poorly marked once you get into the plateau/ meadow - make sure to download the map! Once through the meadow follow the cairns... they’re inconsistently spaced, but get better as you near the end of the trail. Views are lovely the whole way (the way back is better than the way in view wise!). Definitely a strenuous hike, but worth it - if you’re looking for a good training hike this is it! The trail on the map just ends and there isn’t any “real” destination you get to. Made it in and out in 10 hours with many short breaks as the elevation gain is quick and the terrain is steep. The wildflowers were all in bloom! Saw a moose! Beware of footing and routing around snowmelt areas (very wet), didn’t face any challenges with snow on the trail. Make sure you have good hiking boots, lots of snacks and water, and layers for rapid temp changes (the wind is wild and the temps drop the higher you get up!). We got a little lost on the way back through the meadow (even with the downloaded map) and ended up hiking 23ish miles.

WOAH what a climb. Made it to the plateau but couldn’t keep track of the trail and GPS started to die. Turned around early. Not sure what the end looks like! Truly did feel like bear territory so we were cautious.

Great trail to explore! Well maintained. The trail is a bit difficult meaning it's 4 miles of switchbacks, however when you get to the plateau it's pretty flat and easily made into a nice trail run. With the hike being so challenging I only saw a couple people - very rare on a Saturday. Once you are about .5 mile onto the plateau the trail disappears. I ended up veering off onto Silver Run Plateau Trail for a mile and then turned around. Try and follow the cairns and trail posts if you can to keep on Beartrack. Will defiantly be back to explore. 13 miles in... roughly 5 hours at a brisk walking pace. PS. If bear country had a look and feel- this would be it. Just be aware.

My first trip to the 406 was last January where I solo'd between the Beartooths and Yellowstone. It was nothing short of amazing and I can't wait to go back. I spent a few days here building shelters in the snow and walking backwards ALOT due to the wind.... this was always a dream trip of mine and back country hiking Montana for two weeks scratched several bucket list items off.

Slow start

Tue Sep 04 2018

Very steep, but wonderful views. I ran out of time three miles in, but made it up the mountain. Would love to go again with more time!

Mon Aug 13 2018

Great hike, pretty much an uphill slog with lots of views. We only went in about 4.5 miles to a nice plateau area, had lunch and returned to the trail head

Mon Jul 02 2018

This is my favorite trail but the incline is grueling. Takes me about 1:45 to get to the top. I just hiked it yesterday and I think I’m good for the rest of the summer.

Wed Jun 20 2018

Good training hike as it is steadily uphill after the first half mile across the lower meadows. Be prepared for snow to stop you until early summer and again in the early fall. Nice views as you climb the first few miles and can look down the canyon to the highway below.

Sat May 05 2018

Nice semi-steep trail with pleasant switchbacks. Still plenty of snow with tall drifts at the treeline in early May.

Mon Oct 09 2017

This is one of the better hikes I've been on. The views are stunning and well worth hiking the steep incline. Once you hit the plateau, you don't want to leave! Snowline was around 8k feet. (Side note: I wasn't able to record my entire hike; my phone battery went dead)

Sat Jun 24 2017

Amazing, expansive views

Sat May 27 2017

Hiked 5/22/17 snow still cover the trail.

Tue May 09 2017

Ticks were plentiful. Hiked until I hit snow.

Tue Apr 25 2017

Nice start snow makes it impassable at 8200 feet about 3.4 miles in from trail start this was April 20

Mon Aug 29 2016

It's not so steep that you're on your hands, but it's a constant incline once you hit the switchbacks about 1/4 way in. Super fun, minimal traffic, and terrific views. My dog loves this trail too!

Tue Jul 12 2016

It's a steep climb but it has great views!!

Fri Jul 08 2016

the view was not worth the climb

Sun May 08 2016

I went 5/8/2016. Snowed out at the top. Tried to forged the snow. It was up to my knees, so being on a solo hike I turned around. Be ready for the vertical! It's pretty intense especially in the second third! Video Review of Hike: https://youtu.be/q7YDJtwOle4

Mon May 02 2016

Beautiful hike. Path was rocky but manageable.

Fri Jan 09 2015

This trail is not moderate. Gains a lot of elevation. Very scenic

Wed Jun 26 2019