Learn more

Bear Creek Overlook Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(170)
Bitterroot National Forest

Bear Creek Overlook Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Victor, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,154 feet Route Type: Out & Back

7/8/20 Hike: Wow! Breathtaking views! My 2nd hike in MT and it was so unexpected. I can still feel the emotion of standing atop the edifice looking out at the mountain range. The drive up to the trail head was more challenging than the actual hike. I was just hoping to not encounter any oncoming traffic on the narrow sections. Wasn’t an issue as I was the 1st one there around 8am on a Wednesday. The hike is a meandering single track that switches back and forth through the forest. It gets a little monotonous after a while, but then it’s totally worth it when you reach the overlook a little over 2 miles in. I didn’t encounter any wildlife and didn’t see any people until I was half-way back around 9, which is when the crowds started rolling in. The parking lot was packed when I got back. Heading back down the road, thankfully I only passed 2 other cars and along a stretch where it was wide enough to do so. I paused a few times and scanned the road ahead for some reassurance before proceeding.

Quick and easy hike with amazing views at the end! Nothing too challenging. Only reason I can’t give it a five is because of how busy the trail is.

This hike has unbelievable views! Bear creek was raging down below. The drive up was pretty scary, single-lane, with blind corners and drop-offs on the side. Luckily we didn’t meet anyone on the road. Not much room parking at the top. The trail is pretty easy and shaded. Pretty well groomed except for a couple snags. Hiked 2.5 miles in to to the overlook. My watch died on the way down so my recording is shorter than the actual 5 miles. Only met a few people on the trail, including kids and a dog. The reward at the end was defined worth driving on that crazy road!

It was a great weekend to hike this trail. The blowdown was cleared in the past couple of weeks and the trail is in great shape. The views are always incredible at the overlook.

Great day hike with a well maintained trail. Some trees were crossing path but nothing horrible, and a fire crew doing some scouting had it cleared by the time we came back down. Amazingg views if you get to hike on a clear day. The pictures here do not do it justice.

What an amazing hike. The road up there is a bit rough so be cautious of that. Google maps took me right to the trail head. There is no actual trail head so you just park on the side of the road. The trail looks like a game trail but is noticeable enough to find. The hike was relatively easy. It took me about an hour to get up. The views were spectacular! 11/10. Love this hike. Clocked in at about 2.5 up and 2.5 back. Also saw a wild chicken at the top of the trail!

Such a beautiful overlook. Worth the hike. Hike up is all trees. Decent amount of trees on top of trail so had to climb a bit.

Stop feeding the chipmunks!!

Beautiful hike! Goes through the forest for most of the way, very easy switchbacks all the way up. The view is totally worth it. Also worth noting because I didn't see it in any of the recent previous reviews; the road up to this trailhead is, at times, pretty rough and some steep drop-offs. Would not recommend driving up in anything less than a pickup or 4WD.

awesome hike! stunning views. we counted 22 switchbacks (not hard) there are some trees across the trail but passable. 10/10

Absolutely stunning views, even in snow and hail. Hike seemed a bit easy to be marked moderate, but was beautiful all the same.

Love this hike. Short, moderate climb to stunning views. Trail was clear with a couple small patches of snow. June 5, 2020.

Per usual, Bear Creek Overlook never disappoints! beautiful hike beautiful day...still some snow and muck on the trail... got a couple of ticks as well... but otherwise it was perfect! Even saw an elk a few hundred feet away!

Great trail. We hiked twice in late May. Snow about 1/2 way up as of May 31, 2020. Figure about 4 hours r/t from trailhead. Moderate grade, semi-shaded and no water (besides snow melt). Both times saw bears and/or bear indicators. There is definitely a sow bear and some cubs up here, so be aware. Lot's of elk too. We turned around both times before overlook do to the bears being in between us and the overlook, will definitely do again, but at a different time of the year, hopefully momma and her babies will have moved from the immediate area. Trial starts with steps up west side (left side as you come up road), so when you when park don't block the trialhead, only room for 6-7 vehicles.

Snow halfway, as stated per last hiker. Go early, otherwise you will be falling through the snow everyother step like me. Easy hike, nice views.

Quite the view!!! Snow pack for more than half of it. Road is narrow at spots, just hope you don’t run into someone in those places.... not much parking at the end of the road. Be careful not to hake the road. The trail has steps to it.

5/24 no snow on the road to the trailhead. A little bumpy but I think an average clearance car should be ok. The trail was mostly hard packed snow but finding the trail after the final switchbacks was difficult.

We were able to make it to the trail head parking area no problem! 70% of the hike is snow but it’s very doable! It was a gorgeous day and the view is STUNNING

Hiked 5/14 Had no problem getting to the trailhead in my Rav4 (very minimal snow on road). The trail itself was 75% snow with easy to follow footprints for the first half then they disappeared. I followed the AllTrails map for navigation and made it to the top just fine. Definitely be cautious of deep tree wells, and be sure to do a tick check after! (I pulled a couple off of myself) The views are absolutely incredible though, highly recommend!

April 26, 2020. I believe we were following Olivia’s footprints! I’ve attached a few photos. We parked at a turnout and scrambled North up the slough then turned West to try to reach the trailhead. I believe and hope we were traversing Federal land, not private. It was fun but hard work. A lot of snow and deep tree wells. Photos from the impassable road near the trailhead.

unfortunately we had to pull over about 2 miles from the trailhead. the snow is too deep and dangerous for vehicles at the moment. we ended up hiking through the snow on the road. there were no other tire tracks or footprints. still beautiful!

The finale is amazing! A huge return for the effort put in. The trail offers many switchbacks and it was very nice to walk through the pines. Would highly recommend.

The trail was snowed over but was able to follow my map and made it up super easy. A few trees fell down over the trail but it was easy to climb over. The wind at the top made it super windy so maybe a windbreaker would be good.