Bear Canyon Trail

Bear Canyon Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Off of I-90, take the Bear Canyon exit. Head west, just under the under-pass and head south on Bear Canyon Road. Proceed to the end, where the trail-head is located.

I did about half this trail today. There was absolutely no one else there for 80% of my walk. The trail is nice and hilly, not just up but up and down. Lots of sun which wasn't as welcome on this extremely hot day. Enjoyed my walk anyway.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

OK, wouldn't do it again.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Monday, June 06, 2016

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Friday, May 27, 2016

Friday, September 25, 2015

I did this as an overnight backpacking trip with a friend. Not too steep of a hike but if there is any snow melt or has rained recently, expect mud. There are also parts of the trail where a nearby creek has eroded part of the trail away and you will cross the creek multiple times. It is a very scenic hike, however, and we didn't run into too many people. The lake at the top is pristine and the fishing was good. We had what we assume are elk come through our camp at night, with one coming within feet of our tent. As with any wilderness area, I'd recommend you bring bear spray or a firearm. The mountains are not a park and I have seen a bear on this trail before :)

Friday, October 31, 2014

This trail is an easy trip and close to Bozeman. Plan for many hours to complete the trip at a moderate pace. I live at the trailhead and have hiked it for 44 years!

Fran Noel

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

It was a fun trail with beautiful trees and streams and has trails to lead to some lakes. However we thought it would be a nice day hike however the "loop" is much longer than expected! It also turns into an gravel road which can be alarming! But if you stay on that and leave yourself plenty of time for a day hike... It is enjoyable! :)

Friday, September 20, 2013

Sunday, January 02, 2011

The Bozeman Creek acess to Mystic Lake and Bear Canyon is basically a road and tons of people use it everyday. There is some good spots for mountain biking. We rode horses up to Mystic Lake this way and it is longer then the Bear canyon trail head but a lot less steep. We went over the divide to Hyalite which was nice. The trail to Bear Lakes is muddy, boggy, deep ruts, etc. and this was August when I did it. It is in the trees so it is a nice hike just might want to bring extra shoes to cross the mud.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pretty fun mountain bike trail, although it becomes more of an ATV trail towards the top of the peak and very steep.

Monday, September 13, 2010

This trail is located outside of Bozeman; NOT Red Lodge.