Bass Creek Trail

Bass Creek Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kenspur, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From US 93 turn west onto Bass Creek road located 4 miles south of Florence. Travel 2.5 miles to Charles Waters Memorial Campground. The Bass Creek trailhead is located at the west end of the campground.

Keep going, it's beautiful all the way... don't rob yourself by cutting it short. Next trip we're making the connection from Bass Lake to Kootenai and heading back via Kootenai Creek!

This track file on the map does not show the path all the way to Bass Lake. It only shows to the big waterfall before Bass Lake. Bass Lake is about 10 miles one way so 20 miles both ways Out and back.

A spectacular hike that affords plenty of attractions if you are willing to work for them a little. You follow the Creek for the first few miles which culminates in a breathtaking waterfall. Ran into three different washouts of various length, some more treacherous than others, but all doable. This hike earns every bit of it’s hard rating.

Trail is in great shape, still was quite a bit of snow. But well worth it!

Lovely and do-able even this late in November.

Love this trail, it is a hard hike however we have hiked it 2 times with our 3 children. The baby was in a pack on my back and I was tired but I was able to do it without complications. The older two hiked it with a few breaks, but we made it a mile or two up.

Enjoy!

My favorite hike! It is closed right now due to fires.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Made a 3 day trip out of this trip, spending the first night at a cool camp spot a bit past the fall and the second night at the lake. Incredible views, wildflowers, and creeks. A little bit buggy at this time of year so bring your bug spray. The fishing was better in the creek than in the lake. Overall it was an incredible hike and definitely worth the 9 mile trek all the way to the lake.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

I did this hike in the late winter/early spring and it was much more difficult. But this weekend it was great! Lots of shade and stops to rest if the incline is too much. But a horsefly wouldn't leave me alone for three miles in and out, so I gave up and went home early.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

I've been doing a lot of hikes up and around the beautiful bitterroot mountains and was pleasantly surprised with this trail. It was definitely more difficult than I thought it would be, but I wasn't informed that it was mostly uphill for the first 2 miles. Luckily, it was gradual so I didn't lose my breath or have to stop very often, and my 11 lb dog didn't seem to have any problems at all. There was so many areas to stop and just look around and I loved how close the trail stayed to the creek. I was very please with this little nugget of a find and will most definitely return another day to venture further.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Hiked to the Lake today, still some snow in spots and it was quite cool at the lake. The lake still had some ice on it but there was open water too. Hiked in water most of the way, the runoff is at it's peak.

Friday, June 02, 2017

Great views the deeper into the canyon you get. The lake is still is mostly ice and there are some snow fields you have to cross to get to it, but it was absolutely do-able.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Tough, but spectacular 9.5 miles to Bass Lake. In late May last 600 ft to the dam was across snow slope, lake was almost completely frozen.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Great trail! Still pretty wet as of today 5/23/17. Also a note, it's 9 miles to the lake :)

Monday, May 08, 2017

Great hiking trail!!

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Great hike. Lots of spots for dogs to stop and drink/play in the water. Up to the log damn pond the trail is clear, but shortly after the trail is still pretty snow packed.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Cool pond area one mile in and waterfall at about three miles was flowing nicely. Great open views the last 2.5 miles before bass lake. The last 1.5 miles was rocky and had a few inches of snow here or there (10-22-16) but nothing too crazy. The lake area was really nice. Excellent day hike.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

For the not so fit hiker it took about 2 1/2 hours to the waterfall and 1 1/2 hours down. Good note is once you pass the sign there will be a fork to the right if you want to go up to he waterfall and then on to a bigger lake that we didn't make it to. If you go straight at the fork you will be forced to go over the creek and wont make it to the waterfall. It was worth the hike but was pretty hard toward the last hour up.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Awesome hike to the waterfall by way of crossing Bass Creek. Not the main trail to the right of the waterfall but an alternate trail that lead to a great landing along side the falls. Definitely best hike this year.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Awesome hike to the waterfalls.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Made it to the pond!

Saturday, June 04, 2016

We went for just a mile or so since it was later in the afternoon. Great views of the cliffs on either sides and the creeks. First part of the trail is kid friendly enough. I know it gains a lot more elevation further in. We'll be back.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

It was fun and exciting every turn something new. Nice thing is it was long so it made it that much more fun

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Constant beautiful scenery!!! Loved this hike

Sunday, November 22, 2015

It was a fun snow filled trail, my only grievance is that I had to constantly climb over or under trees. Sometimes bush whack to find the trail. Other than that id say bass lake is beautiful and the falls were spectacular even thought it's hard to get to a good vantage point other than on top.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Favorite after work hike. Ample parking. Well marked trail that climbs steadily for about 2.5 miles to a large pond that's good for throwing sticks into for the dog to fetch. If you continue on, you'll reach the wilderness boundary and about half a mile after that (about 3.5 miles in) you can look up and to the south to see the saw tooth peaks. I hike this at least once a week, often more. Heavily used trail with horses, dogs, kids, locals.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

This hike is beautiful. We backpacked up to the lake for the night and it was gorgeous! It gets very chilly at night so bring good layers this time of year and I'm sure for a month yet. I sleep cold but with my -15 sleeping bag my dog and I were toasty but there was frost on the tent in the morning and a new layer of ice on the lake. We neglected to grab a map but the trail is pretty straight forward except for the fork about an hour and a half up. We went straight and got to the raging river crossing so we breaked for a bit and two more groups came up behind us. Easy to figure out that we did not want to cross and go back the 3 minutes to the correct fork. Does get tough! 8 miles each way and 3000 feet is not for the weakling. I won't lie I haven't trained enough- it took us 6 hours up (nice lunch break and snacks) and 3.5 down! Totally worth it.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Absolutely fabulous hike. It has everything to see. I'm not sure why Alltrails say this hike takes 5 hours.....it takes over 9 hours out and back. That is of course with a few breaks on the way up and a 45 min rest at the lake. The Beaver Pond is a easy 2 mile hike which took an hour. The next site to see is the waterfall. From the pond it is about 1.5 miles. There will be a fork in the trail. You will need to take the fork to the right. If you stay on the "main" trail, it makes you cross the river which is really rushing at this time of year. From here the trail get narrow but still well traveled. It is almost a continuous hike up. This trail is labeled hard due to its distance to the lake and the elevation change that you have to hike (over 3,000). I had never done a hard hike before. I made it but I have to say......my body (mainly knees) hurt like crazy today. I'm walking funny!!!!

Monday, March 09, 2015

Fairly easy hike. We made it up to the beaver pond. I would highly reccommend Yaktrax, or some type of spikes this time of year. The trail is a gradual incline and follows a creek.

Monday, August 25, 2014

I only went to the beaver pond, but I loved it. Very easy hike with a nice and WIDE trail (you can easily walk 2-3 abreast) that brings you to a really picturesque pond. Hard to beat.