Bass Creek Trail

Bass Creek Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kenspur, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From US 93 turn west onto Bass Creek road located 4 miles south of Florence. Travel 2.5 miles to Charles Waters Memorial Campground. The Bass Creek trailhead is located at the west end of the campground.

Lovely and do-able even this late in November.

Love this trail, it is a hard hike however we have hiked it 2 times with our 3 children. The baby was in a pack on my back and I was tired but I was able to do it without complications. The older two hiked it with a few breaks, but we made it a mile or two up.

Enjoy!

My favorite hike! It is closed right now due to fires.

Made a 3 day trip out of this trip, spending the first night at a cool camp spot a bit past the fall and the second night at the lake. Incredible views, wildflowers, and creeks. A little bit buggy at this time of year so bring your bug spray. The fishing was better in the creek than in the lake. Overall it was an incredible hike and definitely worth the 9 mile trek all the way to the lake.

I did this hike in the late winter/early spring and it was much more difficult. But this weekend it was great! Lots of shade and stops to rest if the incline is too much. But a horsefly wouldn't leave me alone for three miles in and out, so I gave up and went home early.

I've been doing a lot of hikes up and around the beautiful bitterroot mountains and was pleasantly surprised with this trail. It was definitely more difficult than I thought it would be, but I wasn't informed that it was mostly uphill for the first 2 miles. Luckily, it was gradual so I didn't lose my breath or have to stop very often, and my 11 lb dog didn't seem to have any problems at all. There was so many areas to stop and just look around and I loved how close the trail stayed to the creek. I was very please with this little nugget of a find and will most definitely return another day to venture further.

Hiked to the Lake today, still some snow in spots and it was quite cool at the lake. The lake still had some ice on it but there was open water too. Hiked in water most of the way, the runoff is at it's peak.

Great views the deeper into the canyon you get. The lake is still is mostly ice and there are some snow fields you have to cross to get to it, but it was absolutely do-able.

Tough, but spectacular 9.5 miles to Bass Lake. In late May last 600 ft to the dam was across snow slope, lake was almost completely frozen.

Great trail! Still pretty wet as of today 5/23/17. Also a note, it's 9 miles to the lake :)

Great hiking trail!!

Great hike. Lots of spots for dogs to stop and drink/play in the water. Up to the log damn pond the trail is clear, but shortly after the trail is still pretty snow packed.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Cool pond area one mile in and waterfall at about three miles was flowing nicely. Great open views the last 2.5 miles before bass lake. The last 1.5 miles was rocky and had a few inches of snow here or there (10-22-16) but nothing too crazy. The lake area was really nice. Excellent day hike.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

For the not so fit hiker it took about 2 1/2 hours to the waterfall and 1 1/2 hours down. Good note is once you pass the sign there will be a fork to the right if you want to go up to he waterfall and then on to a bigger lake that we didn't make it to. If you go straight at the fork you will be forced to go over the creek and wont make it to the waterfall. It was worth the hike but was pretty hard toward the last hour up.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Awesome hike to the waterfall by way of crossing Bass Creek. Not the main trail to the right of the waterfall but an alternate trail that lead to a great landing along side the falls. Definitely best hike this year.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Awesome hike to the waterfalls.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Made it to the pond!

Saturday, June 04, 2016

We went for just a mile or so since it was later in the afternoon. Great views of the cliffs on either sides and the creeks. First part of the trail is kid friendly enough. I know it gains a lot more elevation further in. We'll be back.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

It was fun and exciting every turn something new. Nice thing is it was long so it made it that much more fun

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Constant beautiful scenery!!! Loved this hike