Basin Lakes Trail No. 61

Basin Lakes Trail No. 61 is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9 minutes ago

Such a great hike! Definitely not easy but worth the sweat. We only made it to the lower lake, there was too much snow to get to the second one. We saw a mom and baby moose not far from the trailhead, and loved the abandoned cabins!

Beautiful hike (last August) with a lovely stream / small falls before the lake. It started raining near the top, but we kept going and felt peace at the lake with rain and solitude.

Beautiful day hike, left early and no one was around for most of the day. Right before getting to the first lake is kind of a when the heck am I going to get there feeling then you pop over a little crest and there it is! There's a few very decayed cabins along the route, I'm a big fan of abandoned buildings so that was fun. One of my favorite hikes in the Beartooths.

Great trail with wonderful lakes! Definitely go when there is snow as it makes the mountains look so much more beautiful!

awesome trail, great up and down terrain, beautiful views, nice cardio, loved it!

Easy one day hike. Seems to be well traveled, although it was labor day weekend

Loved this hike. Great trail, I personally loved the lower lake the Lilly pads where adorable, the upper lake was very nice too. the upper lake would be great fishing. one of my top 3 favorite hikes of the summer. I will be going back soon ♡

This was a really nice trail. Well maintained. I'm going to grade everything on a flatlander curve for difficulty- I live in Ohio and am in moderate shape (can run 3-5 miles without stopping). I agree for this area this is a moderate hike- for someone from out east I would rate it moderately hard. The whole first 3 miles (to Lower lake only) is uphill and there are quite a few steeper switchbacks. Also very gravelly, so easy to slip going up or down. The Lower lake was as far as we made it- it started to cloud over then storm so we had to turn back. The lower lake is not that remarkable, so if the weather is good and you are fit go up to the upper. Would definitely do again. Good for dogs also. Started at 8:30 saw only one other couple until we headed back down, very peaceful. No bears! Don't hike this if you aren't in decent shape.

Great hike! Definitely look forward to doing it again. We got up early and hit the trail by nine the whole way up and getting to the lake we were by ourselves, coming back down we ran into 15-20 people all headed up. Definitely worth the day trip.

We loved this hike!! The first lake is further than the signage. 2.96 was what our gps said. The second lake was about 1 1/4 miles further but well worth the effort. It was pristine and so pretty. Definitely will do this again. Coming down was hard on the knees but doable.

Really lovely hike--pretty views and the rivers/creeks, waterfall and wild raspberries kept it interesting for my kids. The kids did great though my 6 year old slipped a few times coming down (it's a pretty rocky trail). I think actual hiking boots would be better. Didn't have time to make it to the second lake. Hopefully next time.

Great easy laid out trail- lots of traffic. The lake has many beautiful Lilly pads on it.

It's was a great hike. We made it about 1/3 of the way to the second lake before we had a mutiny. The trail to the 2nd lake was not harder just had a tired one. Lunch at the 1st lake was beautiful and peaceful. We will do again next year to see the second lake.

rough and steep

First off, this is a "Moderate" hike, not "Hard". There are some steeper spots on the way to the first lake, however if you continue on to the second lake it is pretty flat and very easy. I disagree with the rating of this trail. If you go, I would urge you to push to the top lake as it is much more scenic and enjoyable. The bottom lake (pictures with Lilly-pads), is OK, but the top lake is totally worth it! We brought two dogs and they both did fine. You end up about 8800 ft ASL, so elevation may play a factor into your fatigue if you are NOT in decent shape. I enjoyed it and would do it again!

Fun trail. Steep in some places. Didn't make up to the Upper Lake due to time constraints. Be sure to bring bug spray. Lower lake doesn't have great fishing. I'd imagine the upper lake would be good though.

It was tough for a first hike of the season, but worth it. Continuing on to upper basin was beautiful.

Nice fun hike

Great trail for family to lower basin. Steady gain but nothing to difficult for little ones

The trail to lower basin lake was longer than it said, my phone app said it was 4 miles of hiking in. We were not prepared. We made it to the lake and it was just breathtaking. We were there a year ago. The hike starts off pretty simple with a beautiful view of the valley. There are lots of wild raspberries at the beginning of the trail, but it is also grizzly country so be noisy. There are old run down forest service cabins along the way. The lake had some great water lilies and it was just breathtaking. Words can't explain how beautiful it was.

Did a evening hike to lower basin the other day, trail was in excellent condition, no snow, and the lake was beautiful and open

Hiked 05/31, upper basin lake still mostly impassable but lower basin is absolutely lovely!

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Hiked 5/24/17. Beautiful hike. Straight up 1400 ft, with switchbacks and a couple creek crossings. Be prepared to jump the creeks as the water is high now. Towards the end of the trail, it is fairly deep snow. Unable to make it to upper basin, as snow is too deep to see trail

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Still quite a bit of snow up there. Likely more now with recent weather.

Friday, April 07, 2017

Beautiful! Bring OFF...lots of mosquitoes!

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Awesome! Bring lots of water and bug spray, because when we went the mosquitoes were awful. It was a pretty difficult though! Really gorgeous!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Excellent!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Beautiful!! With lots to discover

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Awesome hike! It was immensely beautiful up there. The steep trail is pretty challenging but well worth it.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Very pretty. My husband and I hiked to the upper lake and it was a little more than we bargained for, but we'll worth it! Make sure you wear good shoes, pack a snack and water.