Basin Lakes Trail No. 61 is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

What a gorgeous trail! It's pretty steep to the first lake (5mi round trip) but significantly less steep to get to the second, larger like (8mi round trip). Totally worth going that extra 1.5 miles. We also found wild raspberries!

Very pretty trail! Word of advice— as you walk along the creek, keep an eye out for the makeshift bridge, or you’ll end up leap frogging logs only to find a dead end. Maybe that’s a newbie mistake, but it cost me 20 minutes round trip haha. This is towards the beginning of the trail, when you’re right beside the creek in the trees. I’d also recommend going to the second lake; while the first lake is cute and scenic, it is more the size of a very large pond. The second lake is a proper mountain lake, located in a small crater with large mountains rising beside it. Worth the trip.

Great Hike! Be sure to cross the creek when the trail sign says keep left. It was very dark when we went and didn’t see the makeshift bridge that was back a ways. We ended up taking a big detour to find the trail again.

Well kept trail with two beautiful lakes and a waterfall. The trail is well worn but the markings are poor and it's easy to get off trail if you're not paying close attention.

Lots of uphill, with short bursts of flat. The waterfalls at the bottom and the wild raspberries in the burned out area are a plus. Look for the little cabin at mile 2. Lake is nice, but not the “gorgeous mountain lake” I was looking for.

Great hike. Absolutely stunning. It’s 5 miles round trip to the lower lake and 8 miles round trip to the upper lake. Be prepared for different weather patterns as the elevation changes. We got hailed on in July near the top!

Idyllic hike with creeks, lakes and wildflowers

Stunning, spectacular, exquisite, magical...

Love this hike, first part is rather steep and you're in the open with no cover but the tree cover comes back and it's not bad at all. There's a beautiful waterfall in the beginning and the upper lake has phenomenal small fish fishing. Worth a day hike easily!

This was a tough hike! Very fun! Lasted a few hours. Highly recommended!

So incredibly beautiful. Definitely worthy of repeating

Fantastic Memorial Day hike. One of my favorite trails. We decided to turn back before we got to the upper lake due to the snow, but it was still fantastic. We went early morning and had the trail to ourselves on the way in and met a couple folks on the way out. We even did a bit of trail running.

Great first hike of the year! Only made it to the lower lake due to too much snow. Would definitely like to do this hike again when the snow melts.

Such a great hike! Definitely not easy but worth the sweat. We only made it to the lower lake, there was too much snow to get to the second one. We saw a mom and baby moose not far from the trailhead, and loved the abandoned cabins!

Beautiful hike (last August) with a lovely stream / small falls before the lake. It started raining near the top, but we kept going and felt peace at the lake with rain and solitude.

Friday, October 20, 2017

Beautiful day hike, left early and no one was around for most of the day. Right before getting to the first lake is kind of a when the heck am I going to get there feeling then you pop over a little crest and there it is! There's a few very decayed cabins along the route, I'm a big fan of abandoned buildings so that was fun. One of my favorite hikes in the Beartooths.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Great trail with wonderful lakes! Definitely go when there is snow as it makes the mountains look so much more beautiful!

Friday, October 06, 2017

awesome trail, great up and down terrain, beautiful views, nice cardio, loved it!

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Easy one day hike. Seems to be well traveled, although it was labor day weekend

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Loved this hike. Great trail, I personally loved the lower lake the Lilly pads where adorable, the upper lake was very nice too. the upper lake would be great fishing. one of my top 3 favorite hikes of the summer. I will be going back soon ♡

Thursday, August 31, 2017

This was a really nice trail. Well maintained. I'm going to grade everything on a flatlander curve for difficulty- I live in Ohio and am in moderate shape (can run 3-5 miles without stopping). I agree for this area this is a moderate hike- for someone from out east I would rate it moderately hard. The whole first 3 miles (to Lower lake only) is uphill and there are quite a few steeper switchbacks. Also very gravelly, so easy to slip going up or down. The Lower lake was as far as we made it- it started to cloud over then storm so we had to turn back. The lower lake is not that remarkable, so if the weather is good and you are fit go up to the upper. Would definitely do again. Good for dogs also. Started at 8:30 saw only one other couple until we headed back down, very peaceful. No bears! Don't hike this if you aren't in decent shape.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Great hike! Definitely look forward to doing it again. We got up early and hit the trail by nine the whole way up and getting to the lake we were by ourselves, coming back down we ran into 15-20 people all headed up. Definitely worth the day trip.

Monday, August 21, 2017

We loved this hike!! The first lake is further than the signage. 2.96 was what our gps said. The second lake was about 1 1/4 miles further but well worth the effort. It was pristine and so pretty. Definitely will do this again. Coming down was hard on the knees but doable.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Really lovely hike--pretty views and the rivers/creeks, waterfall and wild raspberries kept it interesting for my kids. The kids did great though my 6 year old slipped a few times coming down (it's a pretty rocky trail). I think actual hiking boots would be better. Didn't have time to make it to the second lake. Hopefully next time.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Great easy laid out trail- lots of traffic. The lake has many beautiful Lilly pads on it.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

It's was a great hike. We made it about 1/3 of the way to the second lake before we had a mutiny. The trail to the 2nd lake was not harder just had a tired one. Lunch at the 1st lake was beautiful and peaceful. We will do again next year to see the second lake.

Monday, July 10, 2017

rough and steep

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

First off, this is a "Moderate" hike, not "Hard". There are some steeper spots on the way to the first lake, however if you continue on to the second lake it is pretty flat and very easy. I disagree with the rating of this trail. If you go, I would urge you to push to the top lake as it is much more scenic and enjoyable. The bottom lake (pictures with Lilly-pads), is OK, but the top lake is totally worth it! We brought two dogs and they both did fine. You end up about 8800 ft ASL, so elevation may play a factor into your fatigue if you are NOT in decent shape. I enjoyed it and would do it again!

Friday, June 30, 2017

Fun trail. Steep in some places. Didn't make up to the Upper Lake due to time constraints. Be sure to bring bug spray. Lower lake doesn't have great fishing. I'd imagine the upper lake would be good though.

Monday, June 26, 2017

It was tough for a first hike of the season, but worth it. Continuing on to upper basin was beautiful.