Basin Lakes Trail No. 61

Basin Lakes Trail No. 61 is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful day hike, left early and no one was around for most of the day. Right before getting to the first lake is kind of a when the heck am I going to get there feeling then you pop over a little crest and there it is! There's a few very decayed cabins along the route, I'm a big fan of abandoned buildings so that was fun. One of my favorite hikes in the Beartooths.

Great trail with wonderful lakes! Definitely go when there is snow as it makes the mountains look so much more beautiful!

awesome trail, great up and down terrain, beautiful views, nice cardio, loved it!

Easy one day hike. Seems to be well traveled, although it was labor day weekend

Loved this hike. Great trail, I personally loved the lower lake the Lilly pads where adorable, the upper lake was very nice too. the upper lake would be great fishing. one of my top 3 favorite hikes of the summer. I will be going back soon ♡

This was a really nice trail. Well maintained. I'm going to grade everything on a flatlander curve for difficulty- I live in Ohio and am in moderate shape (can run 3-5 miles without stopping). I agree for this area this is a moderate hike- for someone from out east I would rate it moderately hard. The whole first 3 miles (to Lower lake only) is uphill and there are quite a few steeper switchbacks. Also very gravelly, so easy to slip going up or down. The Lower lake was as far as we made it- it started to cloud over then storm so we had to turn back. The lower lake is not that remarkable, so if the weather is good and you are fit go up to the upper. Would definitely do again. Good for dogs also. Started at 8:30 saw only one other couple until we headed back down, very peaceful. No bears! Don't hike this if you aren't in decent shape.

Great hike! Definitely look forward to doing it again. We got up early and hit the trail by nine the whole way up and getting to the lake we were by ourselves, coming back down we ran into 15-20 people all headed up. Definitely worth the day trip.

We loved this hike!! The first lake is further than the signage. 2.96 was what our gps said. The second lake was about 1 1/4 miles further but well worth the effort. It was pristine and so pretty. Definitely will do this again. Coming down was hard on the knees but doable.

Really lovely hike--pretty views and the rivers/creeks, waterfall and wild raspberries kept it interesting for my kids. The kids did great though my 6 year old slipped a few times coming down (it's a pretty rocky trail). I think actual hiking boots would be better. Didn't have time to make it to the second lake. Hopefully next time.

Great easy laid out trail- lots of traffic. The lake has many beautiful Lilly pads on it.

It's was a great hike. We made it about 1/3 of the way to the second lake before we had a mutiny. The trail to the 2nd lake was not harder just had a tired one. Lunch at the 1st lake was beautiful and peaceful. We will do again next year to see the second lake.

rough and steep