Basin Lakes Trail No. 61

Basin Lakes Trail No. 61 is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We loved this hike!! The first lake is further than the signage. 2.96 was what our gps said. The second lake was about 1 1/4 miles further but well worth the effort. It was pristine and so pretty. Definitely will do this again. Coming down was hard on the knees but doable.

Really lovely hike--pretty views and the rivers/creeks, waterfall and wild raspberries kept it interesting for my kids. The kids did great though my 6 year old slipped a few times coming down (it's a pretty rocky trail). I think actual hiking boots would be better. Didn't have time to make it to the second lake. Hopefully next time.

Great easy laid out trail- lots of traffic. The lake has many beautiful Lilly pads on it.

It's was a great hike. We made it about 1/3 of the way to the second lake before we had a mutiny. The trail to the 2nd lake was not harder just had a tired one. Lunch at the 1st lake was beautiful and peaceful. We will do again next year to see the second lake.

rough and steep

First off, this is a "Moderate" hike, not "Hard". There are some steeper spots on the way to the first lake, however if you continue on to the second lake it is pretty flat and very easy. I disagree with the rating of this trail. If you go, I would urge you to push to the top lake as it is much more scenic and enjoyable. The bottom lake (pictures with Lilly-pads), is OK, but the top lake is totally worth it! We brought two dogs and they both did fine. You end up about 8800 ft ASL, so elevation may play a factor into your fatigue if you are NOT in decent shape. I enjoyed it and would do it again!

Fun trail. Steep in some places. Didn't make up to the Upper Lake due to time constraints. Be sure to bring bug spray. Lower lake doesn't have great fishing. I'd imagine the upper lake would be good though.

It was tough for a first hike of the season, but worth it. Continuing on to upper basin was beautiful.

Nice fun hike

Great trail for family to lower basin. Steady gain but nothing to difficult for little ones

The trail to lower basin lake was longer than it said, my phone app said it was 4 miles of hiking in. We were not prepared. We made it to the lake and it was just breathtaking. We were there a year ago. The hike starts off pretty simple with a beautiful view of the valley. There are lots of wild raspberries at the beginning of the trail, but it is also grizzly country so be noisy. There are old run down forest service cabins along the way. The lake had some great water lilies and it was just breathtaking. Words can't explain how beautiful it was.

Did a evening hike to lower basin the other day, trail was in excellent condition, no snow, and the lake was beautiful and open