Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Baldy Peak Summit

Baldy Peak Summit is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, Montana that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Baldy Mountain is a very popular hiking destination in the Bridger Range north of Bozeman, Montana. A hike to the top takes you through some beautiful forested areas to an exposed ridge above the treeline that provides wonderful panoramic views of the surrounding area. Reaching the summit of Baldy Mountain is a one-way hike of almost 4.5 miles with about 4000 feet of elevation gain. Allow at least five or six hours to complete the trip up and down; it can be done faster, but most people will take significantly longer than that.

I found this one extremely tough yet rewarding! As it has been mentioned there is a couple of false summits which you need to prepare yourself for. When we got to the last one, we meet a young couple who had to turn back they just couldn’t go any further. They where only one last push from the top... At the top there is a book to sign and like a geo cash where you can put something in and take something out, so fun. And the view is spectacular!! I would encourage you to bring water, a snack and a clean pair of socks to change out at the top to help alleviate blisters. ( I didn’t and paid for it) But for all you Athletics... You’ve got this. Lol enjoy!

it is a great hike, but if you're not used to hiking up for a while then you will be tired! there are many false summits so prepare yourself mentally to be disappointed when you see another peak!! we hiked in the dark on our way out and the trail was easy enough to do it with ease!

Climbed to the top today, 6-30-18. I would do it again but maybe next year. 4 hours up, 2 hours down. Lots of people but all were very friendly and encouraging. Cold and windy on top but I moved about 10-15 feet down the off wind side and was pretty comfortable.

We thought this was pretty darn tough, but really beautiful, not only the spectacular views at the top but the abundant wildflowers all the way up. we suggest a meal break at the rocky outcropping in the flatter area in the middle of the hike. Great views there and it is a good place to take a break between the tough pushes early and late in the hike. We put together a whole video of our hike so you can check out the hike before you try it. Check it out here! https://youtu.be/8ZMeNxrgDAk

If you're looking for beautiful views and a killer workout, this is the trail for you.

it definitely is a killer hike. It took me 2 hours and 10 min. I was the only person up Baldy that night, I hiked passed it for a half mile turned around and hid the little tree to get away from the super wind. I waited for sunset for 30min- within that 30min, I cried, I shouted, I feel betrayed from someone I trusted for 3 years. I am a "Leave no trace person" I left a pair of earrings, you are welcome to have it. my ex boyfriend give it to me when we started dating, I had a lot of compliments about it. I had to let it go. When i came down it was already dark, sunset was 9:15 and I came down with headlamps on after 2.5miles, I made it to my car at 10:34pm. Baldy is such an amazing hike/run for training the Rut run. And I'm doing it again once or twice a week.

Did this with my 13 yr old son on Father’s Day. Rained the entire hike and so windy at the top that we could barely stand! All in all, very beautiful, lots of flowers, but unfortunately it was so cloudy that we had very little visibility and really no views. It was an accomplishment just to make it. That last half mile is a doozie!

I blithely skipped past all the reviews saying "this is the hardest trail I have ever done" because I consider my self a pretty experienced hiker. I have hiked Half Dome. I have hiked Blackmoore. Garnnet lookout. NONE of them were as hard as this. It's practically straight up straight down. I thought I was going to pop a lung on the way up and the way down wasn't much better because I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose a toenail. Plus it's windy. And I mean REALLY windy. I had to take off my hat and strap my backpack down tighter. My dog almost got blown over. At one point I spit and I'm pretty sure it hit Bridger Canyon rd. I passed all FOUR false summits (That's right, where the pole is and the registration box is NOT the summit, it's like 3 away from that). When I got back to the box to write my name in, my fingers were so stiff and cold from all the wind that I took up 3 lines and it looked like a toddler wrote it. Try Sacajawea. Try Bangtail. Try something that's not a complete staircase of a trail with "great views" that you can't even see through the sweat pouring into your eyes.

this is probably the hardest hike I have ever done. the views are amazing though. I stopped at the false summit because I was too tired to keep going but keep in mind the post is not actually the summit

This was the most difficult hike to date my husband and I have ever done. With that said it had some of the most stunningly beautiful views I have seen! It was absolutely worth every sore muscle to get to the top!

Saturday, May 19, 2018

I love hiking Baldy! Summitted on May 16th. A lot of snow before the final ascent, but easy to get around or follow other people's tracks.

Monday, April 30, 2018

Kept hiking after the M and made it up to this Summit. Beautiful views, quite a bit of snow at the top during this time.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Steady, moderate-to-severe incline all the way to the top! Great views once you reach the ridgeline. Crampons or piercing snowshoes are required to summit Baldy this time of year (March). Good luck!

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Difficult indeed. No water on the way. Bring plenty. Hiked on the 4th of July in 90 degrees.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Great training hike (pretty strenuous, especially if you take the most difficult way up the M) with panoramic views of the valley.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Beautiful trail, a bit to popular for me although I usually hike it a few times a year because it's so close to town. I recommend checking it out.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

A fun trail going up with great views of, both, the valley and the expansive country going east. There are steeper inclines in multiple areas which make the descent more of a controlled fall than a leisurely down-mountain stroll. A good one to check off the list.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

The directions are wrong. You have to park at the m and then keep going up. These directions take you to a private road out in Bridger canyon (maybe it used to be the trailhead but not anymore)

Monday, April 04, 2016

Challenging hike but worth every step when you hit the summit. Tons of overlooks along the way. Fun terrain but definitely bring some yak's if you're spring hiking. I went in running shoes and skied my butt down the first half once I headed back down lol.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Summited this one but not by the "M" trail, came up from middle cotton wood trail then cut off trail and went up a gully. Really Tuff adventure. Scree in the Bridgers sux

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Beautiful views of the valley and lots of wild flowers. Make sure you bring lots of water and some fly repellant wouldn't hurt.

recorded Baldy Peak Summit