Baker Lake is a 4.2 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Darby, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 km Elevation Gain: 259 m Route Type: Out & Back

A short but vigorous hike through forest leads to Baker Point, with panoramic views.

Hiked to Baker Lake last weekend and set up camp. The entire trail is still covered with about 4-6 feet of snow. We made it about 2 miles from the trailhead before parking the truck. Perfect weekend but unless you know the trail well it’s easy to lose track of where you’re at.

I attempted to hike this yesterday 5/1. The drive up was not very fun, I ended up turning around when I reached some snow on the road up top that my car couldn’t clear. I drive a 4x4 with pretty high clearance too. I’m sure the hike is beautiful and I want to try to get up there again, be aware that it is a nine mile drive up the mountain after you get off of the highway!

The trail map on the app needs to be updated. It got us most of the way and then said we had reached the end of the trail and recorded distance and expected us to turn around? But beyond that the hike itself was incredible. That first stretch was a little harder than I was expecting for a moderate hike but after it smoothed out it was great. Try to go early in the day so you have time o enjoy it. We went late in the day and had to leave because it was getting dark.

straight up the mountain to a beautiful lake alot of traffic long 9 mile drive strait up a mountain beautiful views on the way up

Hike is more moderate than easy. Lots of slick roots and rocks and it's steep for a while. Gorgeous lake, highly recommend. Road to the trailhead it's long but doable with just about any vehicle. 4x4 or high clearance not required.

as a novice hiker, this seemed a little more difficult than rated. We may have taken a different trail some how though. the views were stunning and worth the scramble. Bring your bug spray!!

Wonderful hike with beautiful mountain lake. It feels far out even though it's not that long of a hike. Good place to camp with great star gazing.

Hiked to Baker Lake yesterday. Still a little snow on the trail as we neared the lake but it was possible to get around it without too much trouble. The lake was beautiful! The beginning of the hike was more moderate, but after passing the large boulder formation (Baker Point, I think) it leveled off. There’s also a great view of Trapper Creek Canyon about .7 of a mile before you hit the trailhead. We parked near a massive boulder at the last switchback and walked out.

I would say moderate hike. Too much snow to make it to the lake.. got close tho!! Gorgeous hike!!!

Mon May 27 2019

Couldn’t make it to the trail head this morning still about a foot of snow in the road about 1 mile from the trail head

Wed May 01 2019

One of our favorites last August.

Sat Aug 11 2018

Our group was age 13-48 and although the length of this trail is short we give it moderate rating. Trail is steep and rocky most of the way. The lake is beautiful and we all swam and hung out. If you make it to Baker Lake, keep going to middle and Gem lakes - not much farther and gorgeous!

Sat Jul 21 2018

We thought this hike was really pretty and not too difficult as far as Baker Lake, maybe easy/moderate. The hike is pretty enough, but the lake and the views there are really what makes it worth it. It's not too much of a hike to get further up to Middle lake, which is even prettier in my opinion. If you want, you can continue on to Trapper Peak from Baker Lake, though it is much, much more difficult. We did this and put together a couple of videos on it. You can check them out at our YouTube channel "Adventures of Shane and Laura". Start at this video: https://youtu.be/WrpUEBy5ZDQ

Mon Jul 02 2018

Easy because it’s short ... steep and challenging for the young, seniors, and semi in shape types of people ... take your walking sticks and camera ... views are great!

Wed Aug 23 2017

It says it's easy but if you're older or have young kids this may be a little much. Steep in areas but short and sweet.

Tue Aug 22 2017

This is one of the best short hikes I've ever done. The first half of the hike is very steep but after that it levels out for awhile. There is one final steep push right before the lake but isn't nearly as bad as the first part of the hike. The lake is gorgeous with a great view of Trapper Peak. We looped around the lake which had a trail that was easy to follow. Definitely recommend.

Tue Aug 08 2017

Gorgeous lake at the end of a short and sweet trail. The views of Trapper Peak beyond the lake are unreal. Steep in places and the drive up takes a bit but so worth it !

Tue Jul 25 2017

very easy hike with beautiful views of trappers peak and the bitterroot. lake was warm enough to jump in!

Wed Jul 19 2017

Great trail. Started at 2pm. First mile is very steep. I think I would rate as "moderate" especially if you have children. We had our 6 year olds who were troopers but definitely felt it up and back. After the first mile, trail levels out with minor elevation changes. Beautiful view of the canyon up to the lake. There's one more steep incline near the lake but not long. Saw some Yellowstone cut throats but they weren't interested in lures. Hiked around the lake which was beautiful. Hike back down was nice as well.

Tue Jul 11 2017

Steeper than I expected at the start, was also hailing on our way in, lake was still super cold, didn't catch any fish. Still super pretty, and beautiful and so green.

Mon Jul 10 2017

It was a steep little hike but very worth it. The lake and surrounding area is like heaven on earth. The west side of the lake has the best spot to pitch a tent. Bring flies and lures if you are planning to fish. The fish are extremely weary so you have to be crafty to snag one.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Beautiful hike. The beginning was pretty steep but worth the effort. The water is cold.

Mon Jul 03 2017

Beautiful lake, lots of wildflowers. I would probably rate this as moderate if it were a longer trail, it's pretty steep the first half mile or so, but our 8 year old made it.

Wed May 17 2017

Great hike! Beautiful views of Trappers Peak from the lake.

Wed Sep 21 2016

Not for beginner hikers. We left late in the day and turned back at 1.25 miles. Was demanding, beautiful, and isolated. I will return to complete this hike. Spectacular scenery.

Fri Jul 29 2016

Direction link to google was wrong. We made it down the trail less than five minutes and walked up on a bear. That freaked my girlfriend out enough to not hike the rest of the trail. The drive up and down was beautiful.