Baker Lake

Baker Lake is a 2.6 mile out and back trail located near Darby, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It says it's easy but if you're older or have young kids this may be a little much. Steep in areas but short and sweet.

This is one of the best short hikes I've ever done. The first half of the hike is very steep but after that it levels out for awhile. There is one final steep push right before the lake but isn't nearly as bad as the first part of the hike. The lake is gorgeous with a great view of Trapper Peak. We looped around the lake which had a trail that was easy to follow. Definitely recommend.

Gorgeous lake at the end of a short and sweet trail. The views of Trapper Peak beyond the lake are unreal. Steep in places and the drive up takes a bit but so worth it !

very easy hike with beautiful views of trappers peak and the bitterroot. lake was warm enough to jump in!

Great trail. Started at 2pm. First mile is very steep. I think I would rate as "moderate" especially if you have children. We had our 6 year olds who were troopers but definitely felt it up and back. After the first mile, trail levels out with minor elevation changes. Beautiful view of the canyon up to the lake. There's one more steep incline near the lake but not long. Saw some Yellowstone cut throats but they weren't interested in lures. Hiked around the lake which was beautiful. Hike back down was nice as well.

Steeper than I expected at the start, was also hailing on our way in, lake was still super cold, didn't catch any fish. Still super pretty, and beautiful and so green.

It was a steep little hike but very worth it. The lake and surrounding area is like heaven on earth. The west side of the lake has the best spot to pitch a tent. Bring flies and lures if you are planning to fish. The fish are extremely weary so you have to be crafty to snag one.

Beautiful hike. The beginning was pretty steep but worth the effort. The water is cold.

Beautiful lake, lots of wildflowers. I would probably rate this as moderate if it were a longer trail, it's pretty steep the first half mile or so, but our 8 year old made it.

Great hike! Beautiful views of Trappers Peak from the lake.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Not for beginner hikers. We left late in the day and turned back at 1.25 miles. Was demanding, beautiful, and isolated. I will return to complete this hike. Spectacular scenery.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Direction link to google was wrong. We made it down the trail less than five minutes and walked up on a bear. That freaked my girlfriend out enough to not hike the rest of the trail. The drive up and down was beautiful.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

My wife and I found Baker Lake by accident last fall on vacation. We were hiking and obviously on a different trail system because we were making some real elevation climb or maybe its because we are old but we were really digging down to keep climbing. We were told there was a lake called Gem Lake near and we found a little bog and thought "this is a lake?" so we enjoyed the nice scenery and decided to move on a little more before heading back since we didn't really take much of an established trail and then BAM there was one of the most beautiful, pristine, and serene lakes I had ever seen. There was nobody else on the mountain according to the three trail heads we drove by and eventually backtracked and picked one (obviously the wrong one because we were told this was Baker Lake by forest service later). It was absolutely beautiful with no other souls around and nothing but sheer silence and beauty. Knowing Montana has these little gardens of eden convinced my wife and I to make this our new home state when we retire in a few years.

Sunday, August 09, 2015

We just did this hike today. It leads to a beautiful little lake. There was very heavy traffic though, we saw several hikers, there were 20-25 cars parked at the trailhead. We also saw 6 kids, probably ages 5-10, so it might be a good trail to bring your kids on. If you want to go past Baker Lake, you can also reach Middle and Gem Lake, although the trail past Baker can be a little confusing, we had to back track once. We brought our 4 dogs, but you'll need a leash since this is a popular trail. We really enjoyed this hike though and will definitely do it again!

Sunday, July 19, 2015

This was a beautiful hike with lots of interesting terrain. The mosquito's were particularly bad in a few boggy areas, but otherwise ok. We went in late June so the air temp was warm enough to encourage a dip in the lake. The lake is formed from glacial run-off so naturally you will want to make it a quick swim to guard against potential hypothermia. If you can take it, it's a nice way to "rejuvenate the soul", and the warmer air feels like a warm blanket as soon as you get out. Very rad experience and and amazing day!