White Oaks Trail and Whispering Pines Trail Loop

White Oaks Trail and Whispering Pines Trail Loop is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ste Genevieve, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail meanders through a beautiful mixed hardwood and pine forest, crossing streams over ridges.

Loved it. The camp host was on site and very helpful--he got us checked in without having to wait until the office officially opened, so we could hit the trails well before dark. The walk-in campsites, which is where we stayed, can't be reserved, but we were there mid-week and were able to choose from three open sites. While they're not very removed from one another (you can see and hear fellow campers), it was still a great experience. We picked a site right next to the creek and feel asleep to the sound of gurgling water and tree frogs.

The bathhouse is also quite nice with individual shower rooms and laundry facilities. Firewood and ice are available when the office is open (or the host is available), and, of course, the trails are epic. Beautiful scenery, well-maintained paths, and good, long trail loops for hours of hiking.

P.S. I agree with other reviewers: Keep your stuff secure from raccoons--those little buggers are quite clever and persistent!

Great trail and backpacking experience. Note that the raccoons are very very clever. Actually bit through my URsack - made for a very hungry last day. Also the Alltrails map isn't as accurate as the map you can get at the trailhead. Wife and I did the North and South loop as well as the pickle creek section - which is is rugged. Plenty of water, scenic views, and good times.

Gorgeous! Must see in MO!

Great campground. Solid hike with beautiful views.

Overgrown in the summer. Beautiful in colder weather. Well marked and some beautiful views.

This hidden gem was great!! My husband and I both agreed that late fall/early springtime would be better times to go, simply because you can really enjoy all of the rock formations.

What an amazing trail system, hiked all the trails on Thursday. Right now it is a little over grown in the areas close to water which lead to me ending up with a lot of ticks on me through the hike (58 on me and 17 attached). I did about nine miles of hiking with my wife in early spring and the vegetation wasn't crowding the trail as much. I would suggest if you are going to do a hike that includes the South Loop make sure to wear light weigh pants no matter the temperature this summer. All three of the backcountry campsites are great and they are free, the two on the South Loop are close to water, the one in the middle of the North Loop isn't. Easily worth multiple visits even if it means having a couple of ticks.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Nice hikes with some steep hills. Love doing the pickle creek loop and being able to cool off the in creek and sit on the bluffs.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Beautiful walk and need to get near the pickle springs trail.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Easy to follow, well marked trails that weave through a very diverse area made for a great weekend trip. The WCs that don't connect to campsite 1 (I forget their numbers definitively) may are may not be worth it, but Pickle Creek and both loops provide great visuals.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

gorgeous! well marked. going back to hike again next weekend.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Amazing trail run difficult at times but was running on dead legs. Beautiful scenery!! Best trail run thus far this year will b back!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Beautiful creek runs along a trail. Great family swimming areas. Pet-friendly is a plus. Challenging hikes for the avid hiker and easy trails for families.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

I need your help. I have been few times and ran there but this time I am
Going hiking and wondering which start point and which trail is closer to the river and those rocks?

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Lovely trail. Great views, great variance in trail surfaces. Piney woods, rocky outcrops, open fields, creek crossings, this trail is a blast. Great for dogs too.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

The weather turned beautiful this February weekend, so I decided to head to Hawn State Park. Everyone always has such positive reviews of these trails I had to check it out. I hiked the connector trail from White Oaks to the North and South loops on the Whispering Pines trail. There were trail runners and day hikers enjoying the trail as well. It was lovely this time of year with no foliage on the trees to obscure the views. Pines, being the exception, added color against the drab landscape. I did an overnight on the south loop. The coyotes serenaded me most of the night. It was quite startling at first being by myself. I soon decided they weren't interested in bothering me. They were only interested in communicating with each other. However continually getting startled awake with their yips and howls was rather annoying. Guess I have to forgive them. I was sleeping in their home. Earlier in the day I scared up a couple White Tail Deer but saw no other critters. I'm looking forward to another visit later on this Spring or Summer. Check these trails out for yourself. They won't disappoint.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Great trail!!! Trail was visibly marked with easy to read connector trail signs. Hiked the connector 3 to the north loop. A little over 5 miles. Will be back again.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

I have gone twice in the last month and have fallen in love with this park. Last weekend the leaves were approaching their peak and the views were breath taking!!!! We camped at the campground which is nice and clean. We stayed at sites 17 and 19 which is right by pickle creek and the cliffs. We hiked the north loop and white oak both times. Definitely a work out at times with very rocky terrain but also some flat stretches. I highly recommend an overnight trip

Monday, October 26, 2015

Awesome trail. Did the north trail which says 6 miles but is closer to 7. 90% of the trail is moderate but there is 10%that was hard terrain.

Monday, August 24, 2015

I completed the North and South loops, including Pickle Creek, but I did not do the connecting trails. This was my first solo backpacking overnight trip and it was well worth the hike. I started the trail counterclockwise (went right after the wooden footbridge at the TH). On this trail there was a waterfall, shallow clear creeks full of animal life and sweet hums from the hummingbirds flying nearby. I passed two campsites before landing at the third and final on the south loop. I chose this site ahead of time, knowing I wanted to get the majority of the trial under my belt on day one. The south loop was not as well groomed and the North. It is worth trudging through the tall grass though and making your way through the ups and downs of the rock hills. Loved it. It rained most of the time I was out and it was absolutely beautiful. Total miles for me was 12.5 with Pickle Creek added on. Pickle creek is not as easy as it states...very rocky. Make sure you have good shoes and two hands to catch yourself.

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

This is one of my favorite State Parks to hike in. There are so many options available and I could just gaze at all the trees all day long. Once you get out away from the parking lot, it's a wonderfully quiet place to lose yourself and just enjoy being out in nature.

Friday, September 05, 2014

My favorite place to go. Excellent north loop. Great views, beautiful water sources (especially after a good rain), even a couple little waterfalls. Medium difficulty on some spots due to a couple high climbs. There are some great views up top though.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Great hiking-
Plenty of privacy.
Great facilities.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

This trail was really just a nice hike in the woods. Not much in terms of excitement. It gets high ratings but I am not sure how I would rank this one against other area trails. Probably somewhere around the middle. It is definitely good for those looking for a mid-range hike (as opposed to the many 1-2 mile hikes around). One note: I did get lost and have to back track at some point. The trail has considerable overgrowth in some areas and blazers can be scarce. However, when hiking I tend to focus on the nature and less on the blazers so I could have just been distracted. Rating most trails a 2.5, I would give this one slightly below that just based on the lack of excitement. If you are just looking for a nice, solitary walk in the woods this one will be excellent.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

We did the Whispering Pines North loop with a group of scouts. This was a great hike very scenic.

Friday, November 09, 2012

We did an overnight backpacking trip. We did all four trails in reverse . All four trails and connector trails 1, 2, & 3 were very well marked. The 3 primitive backpacking campsites are just that...primitive...no privy's . Even though there were signs saying "no fires" there were fire rings set up at all three campsites. Truly a beautiful place to visit. Many opportunities to see many small waterfalls, and overlook views. Some places the trail became very rocky. The Pickle Creek Trail had many rocks on the trail as did portions of the North Whispering Pine Trail. Don't fast pack this trail....take your time and enjoy the scenery. Will be going back again.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Beautiful. The rolling hills of Missouri can be seen multiple times as you hike and peer out from the bluffs. It can be rocky in places, but overall the trail is moderate in difficulty. The trail is well used so the paths can be clearly seen and marked. Even though the campsites were pretty well filled, we only encountered a handful of people. We didn't do the entire trail, but I do plan on going back and backpacking one night to experience this trail even more. Must see and do!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

All of hawns trails are very nice. The entire trail system is very well marked, and is quite easy to follow, but the terrain can be challenging in places. The pickle creek trail is especially nice along with the north and south loop of the whispering pines trail. Expect rough/rocky terrain for pickle creek and the north loop of whispering pines. The white oaks loop is less rocky, and it may have been better in spring or summer when the flora was in bloom. Hawn offers alot of options for every skill level. Highly recommend this trail system to anyone.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Easy to moderate, On a nice day it will be very crowded.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Very physically demanding, but very beautiful. Some of the best in the state.