Whispering Pines Trail

Whispering Pines Trail is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Farmington, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Whispering Pines Loop Trail is a 9.2 mile loop trail consisting of two loops: the north loop is approximately six miles long and the south loop is approximately 3.75 miles. It meanders through a beautiful mixed hardwood and pine forest, crossing through streams and over scenic ridges. This trail is arguably the best, most scenic trail in the state. It has a little bit of everything, unusual rock formations, beautiful creeks, old forests, panoramic views, and wildlife. The trail can be strenuous at times, but the climbs are worthwhile as they afford fantastic views of the surrounding mountains. There is a connector trail that allows this trail to be cut in half to make a very nice shortened day hike. There are three backpacking campsites along the trail to accommodate an extended trip. This is one trail that should not be missed!

Loved this trail, by far the most beautiful I’ve done in Missouri. Will be back!

One of the best hikes in Missouri, the North Loop has a little bit of everything, great views, beautiful stream and beautiful areas of tall pines. Highly recommend.

Great overlooks, beautiful water crossings!! Everthing a hiker wants. Some steep inclines and rocky areas as well as long flat walks though the trees. My favorite trail!!!

Some spots can get overgrown, and some smaller trees may have fallen over the trail. Nothing that's hard to step over or go around. The trails are very well marked, but keep an eye out for some spots that may cross the bigger creeks (I got turned around a couple times on one trail where the marker was on the other side and I hadn't seen it the first time.) Almost all of the trails are close to the water most of the way. This can make for good fun, but also lots of bugs and gnats in the warmer months. Pack lots of water and some snacks, as there are connectors to other trails you can do in the same day. This is a great park, and has a good variety of difficulty in the trails, and length.

Did this 6/18 . Some spots overgrown, was well worth the effort.

This is my all-time favorite trail. So much to see and its only 20 minutes from my house.

One of my favorite trails in the area!

Wonder site. The white connector has two well done campsites that make it easy to set up camp and hike the other trails while still providing quick access, less than 30 minutes, to real bathrooms and your car if needed.

one of the best places to hike in the state. the pines are incredible

Beautiful and quiet. Did all of North and South loop. Camped at campsite #3 which was very nice. The trail has great variety and is well marked and maintained. Some parts of South loop are little overgrown and you have push through the grasses but it never last for long. Would recommend and will return. Happy Hiking

First backpacking trip for me. It was challenging in some parts but the experience and views were well worth it. Stopped for the night at Camp 2 which was by a water source; it provided nice sounds to fall asleep to. Went out to see if I liked backpacking and this trail made me fall in love with it!

Kim and I completed the North loop 6+ miles in 2.5 hours with three short breaks for water and snacks. We are a 50 something couple who walk 4 miles a day minimum. We found the trail delightfully different; most of the trail was clear soft sand, pine needles, soil/leaves. About 1/5 of trail was rugged with larger stones (3-10”); would rate this area difficult, all other parts easy. Trail was well blazed; when we were confused, bam, a blazing! The variety is stunning and remarkable; tall pines, deciduous trees, grasses, wildflowers, creek beds, granite formations, scenic views. See photos.

great variety of terrain, flora + fauna

Two friends and I did the combined north and south loop trails for an overnight backpack trip. I've never seen so many different varieties, shapes, colors, sizes of mushrooms in my entire life. The trail is very well traveled and well marked. We didn't start until 2p and made it to the 3rd camp by 7p. The 3rd backpack campsite was the best one, in my opinion, after seeing the first ones. It is worth it to make it all the way to this site to set up for the night. There is access to more water at the creek just past this campsite as well, which would have been helpful to know instead of filling up so much at the previous point. A few spots on the south loop are slightly more overgrown, but nothing impassable, just because it is less frequented. Overall, a beautiful park with lots of different terrain and scenery.

We saw an armadillo and they are gross. MORSHMA!

North loop. 6 1/2 miles

Spent a weekend out on the trail. Great trail! Well marked and lots of opportunities for water. Really scenic for trails around here.

It’s a good one day hike if you start in the morning or a a late evening with one night of camping, it’s pretty but not a lot to do if you plan on spending a day there. There are a lot of ticks!

. My sister and I had never backpacked before and brought way too much stuff with us, but this was a great trail to start backpacking on. Plenty of water sources throughout, and the shade made the trail fine. The south loop is much less maintained. Also, there is a sort of fake camping site near the river on the east side of the south loop that is misleading; skip the one near the river and move travel a little more south. You'll fine the correct camping site. Overall, we had a very good experience and will plan to return.

Beautiful area, I don’t think the trail could be more well marked, very well maintained. Easy to moderate. Plenty of water in May.

Would not classify this as a hard trail. Lots of options for picking which distance works best for you.

One of my favorite trails. So many off-chutes to beautiful scenic areas, great climbing and water holes. Long day hike but definitely leave with a clear head :)

beautiful hike on the north loop cutting across several flowing streams + along spectacular bluffs. the fragrant scent of pines is wonderful. nice mix of terrain but not difficult;rather pleasant + relaxing.

One of my favorite trails in Missouri! The south loop adds some miles and it really peaceful because not as many people are on it.

The trail was beautiful after a week of rain. Pickle Creek was roaring and every drainage had water in it. The trail itself was in great condition though. We started up Pickle Creek, crossed it in knee deep water to join the north loop and then camped overnight at site 3 on the south loop. We finished up the next morning on the prettiest section of the whole loop.

Favorite trail so far...a bit of everything I like when it comes to hiking...I wouldn’t say this trail is for those looking for something easy...I hiked all of the North Trail...can’t wait to explore the rest!!

Definitely not as hard as it's rated. Not a ton of up and down....we did it with kids and it took us only 4.5 hours.

Favorite trail in the state. It wasn't difficult, though it had a ton to offer. Great views with elevation and beautiful creek crossings. Plenty to see through the hike.

Beautiful, quiet trail. Cool rocks, nice views from the hilltops, lovely little creeks, and towering pines.