Whispering Pines Trail

Whispering Pines Trail is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ste Genevieve, Missouri that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Whispering Pines Loop Trail is a 9.2 mile loop trail consisting of two loops: the north loop is approximately six miles long and the south loop is approximately 3.75 miles. It meanders through a beautiful mixed hardwood and pine forest, crossing through streams and over scenic ridges. This trail is arguably the best, most scenic trail in the state. It has a little bit of everything, unusual rock formations, beautiful creeks, old forests, panoramic views, and wildlife. The trail can be strenuous at times, but the climbs are worthwhile as they afford fantastic views of the surrounding mountains. There is a connector trail that allows this trail to be cut in half to make a very nice shortened day hike. There are three backpacking campsites along the trail to accommodate an extended trip. This is one trail that should not be missed!

This trail offered quite a bit of variety as I backpacked across it. I did the north and south loop and saw some great scenery on a really well marked trail. I had to cross the creek whenever it was a bit of a rainy season, but it wasn't unmanageable. I fully recommend this trip for any moderately experienced hiker.

The trail basically turns into a mini creek (like wear water shoes) if it has been at all raining lately. And different parts of the trail were completely impassable because the creek was much too high. I'm sure it would have been fine it this were not the rainy season, but I was only able to go so far from either way before I was supposed to cross an uncrossable part of the creek. I'll be back when the weather has been much dryer. So, word of advice, if it has been raining make sure you call the park office to see if the trails are flooded before you head out there. What I could hike of the trails were very nice tho!!

excellent trail and campsites

Did this trail today with the wife. We hiked both the north and south loop in about 6 hours with a leisure lunch break and a couple of stops at the creek in the beginning. The north loop had a few weekend hikers but we barely saw anyone on the south loop. This is a decent trail with not much elevation gain and nothing spectacular, so am giving this a 3. But this is definitely a hard hike just for the distance alone, if you are doing the north and south as a day hike.

Great trail! Started on the North loop and picked up the South loop. Next goal is to camp overnight. Was tough trail for me but great exercise. I would recommend this as one of the best for scenery!

We did the 6 mile loop (north loop) which was a little more like 7 miles but great hike with beautiful water views and overlooks. Would definitely recommend and do again.

Firstly it's important to note that on the Whispering Pines trail you can do a 6 mile hike (North Loop), a 3.75 mile hike (South Loop), or the whole thing. We did the 6 mile recently and even though it rained the entire time it was beautiful! The trail is VERY well marked but if you miss one you can end up on a cliff like we did, very confused. It said it would take 6 hours but we did it in 4.5 hours with stops (eating lunch and taking tons of photos). It's a pretty difficult hike in some spots but so fun and so pretty! Probably my new favorite place to hike.