Whispering Pines Trail is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Farmington, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Whispering Pines Loop Trail is a 9.2 mile loop trail consisting of two loops: the north loop is approximately six miles long and the south loop is approximately 3.75 miles. It meanders through a beautiful mixed hardwood and pine forest, crossing through streams and over scenic ridges. This trail is arguably the best, most scenic trail in the state. It has a little bit of everything, unusual rock formations, beautiful creeks, old forests, panoramic views, and wildlife. The trail can be strenuous at times, but the climbs are worthwhile as they afford fantastic views of the surrounding mountains. There is a connector trail that allows this trail to be cut in half to make a very nice shortened day hike. There are three backpacking campsites along the trail to accommodate an extended trip. This is one trail that should not be missed!

One of my favorite trails in the area!

Wonder site. The white connector has two well done campsites that make it easy to set up camp and hike the other trails while still providing quick access, less than 30 minutes, to real bathrooms and your car if needed.

one of the best places to hike in the state. the pines are incredible

Beautiful and quiet. Did all of North and South loop. Camped at campsite #3 which was very nice. The trail has great variety and is well marked and maintained. Some parts of South loop are little overgrown and you have push through the grasses but it never last for long. Would recommend and will return. Happy Hiking

First backpacking trip for me. It was challenging in some parts but the experience and views were well worth it. Stopped for the night at Camp 2 which was by a water source; it provided nice sounds to fall asleep to. Went out to see if I liked backpacking and this trail made me fall in love with it!

Kim and I completed the North loop 6+ miles in 2.5 hours with three short breaks for water and snacks. We are a 50 something couple who walk 4 miles a day minimum. We found the trail delightfully different; most of the trail was clear soft sand, pine needles, soil/leaves. About 1/5 of trail was rugged with larger stones (3-10”); would rate this area difficult, all other parts easy. Trail was well blazed; when we were confused, bam, a blazing! The variety is stunning and remarkable; tall pines, deciduous trees, grasses, wildflowers, creek beds, granite formations, scenic views. See photos.

great variety of terrain, flora + fauna

Two friends and I did the combined north and south loop trails for an overnight backpack trip. I've never seen so many different varieties, shapes, colors, sizes of mushrooms in my entire life. The trail is very well traveled and well marked. We didn't start until 2p and made it to the 3rd camp by 7p. The 3rd backpack campsite was the best one, in my opinion, after seeing the first ones. It is worth it to make it all the way to this site to set up for the night. There is access to more water at the creek just past this campsite as well, which would have been helpful to know instead of filling up so much at the previous point. A few spots on the south loop are slightly more overgrown, but nothing impassable, just because it is less frequented. Overall, a beautiful park with lots of different terrain and scenery.

We saw an armadillo and they are gross. MORSHMA!

North loop. 6 1/2 miles

Spent a weekend out on the trail. Great trail! Well marked and lots of opportunities for water. Really scenic for trails around here.

It’s a good one day hike if you start in the morning or a a late evening with one night of camping, it’s pretty but not a lot to do if you plan on spending a day there. There are a lot of ticks!

. My sister and I had never backpacked before and brought way too much stuff with us, but this was a great trail to start backpacking on. Plenty of water sources throughout, and the shade made the trail fine. The south loop is much less maintained. Also, there is a sort of fake camping site near the river on the east side of the south loop that is misleading; skip the one near the river and move travel a little more south. You'll fine the correct camping site. Overall, we had a very good experience and will plan to return.

Beautiful area, I don’t think the trail could be more well marked, very well maintained. Easy to moderate. Plenty of water in May.

Would not classify this as a hard trail. Lots of options for picking which distance works best for you.

One of my favorite trails. So many off-chutes to beautiful scenic areas, great climbing and water holes. Long day hike but definitely leave with a clear head :)

beautiful hike on the north loop cutting across several flowing streams + along spectacular bluffs. the fragrant scent of pines is wonderful. nice mix of terrain but not difficult;rather pleasant + relaxing.

One of my favorite trails in Missouri! The south loop adds some miles and it really peaceful because not as many people are on it.

The trail was beautiful after a week of rain. Pickle Creek was roaring and every drainage had water in it. The trail itself was in great condition though. We started up Pickle Creek, crossed it in knee deep water to join the north loop and then camped overnight at site 3 on the south loop. We finished up the next morning on the prettiest section of the whole loop.

Favorite trail so far...a bit of everything I like when it comes to hiking...I wouldn’t say this trail is for those looking for something easy...I hiked all of the North Trail...can’t wait to explore the rest!!

Definitely not as hard as it's rated. Not a ton of up and down....we did it with kids and it took us only 4.5 hours.

Favorite trail in the state. It wasn't difficult, though it had a ton to offer. Great views with elevation and beautiful creek crossings. Plenty to see through the hike.

Beautiful, quiet trail. Cool rocks, nice views from the hilltops, lovely little creeks, and towering pines.

Excellent trail/camping area!! I recently hiked this trail, doing approximately 11/12miles. We camped on the trail overnight also. The scenery is fantastic. It had recently rained, so the creeks were flowing pretty good. We have have hiked sections of the Appalachian Trail, so comparing this trail to the AT, similar in areas but not as difficult. For an inexperienced hiker, this trail would be perfect to start on. Highly recommended and I will go back and do different routes. I’ll give it

I love this trail. Super clean and not heavily trafficked. There also sections of the trail that are different than others and I really loved the variety of the trail experience. Also, if you’re not up to do the whole trail (north loop), they offer a south loop that’s just 3.75 miles.

I love to hike here. Only done the full trail once & it was amazing. Felt like I wasn't in Missouri at times. Beautiful.

Awesome trail. some dangerous spots watch the kiddos.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

I do a lot of trail running, and while this trail was not best suited for that, it was still enjoyable. There were a number of times I came to a dead stop to maneuver boulders, cross a creek by way of step stones, or find the trail. The trail marking is probably the worst part of the trail, the signs are about 2”x2”, all on trees, and 5-6’ up. That makes it hard to follow signs when you’re watching your feet for roots and rocks. I much prefer the sign posts as I find at many other parks.

Monday, October 30, 2017

My husband and my self did this trail. Camped out at one of that camp sites along the way. The map only recognizes 3 but there are many people have created through out the trail. The sign does say no fire but each campsite had a fire pit already set up. The trail was perfect not too easy not too hard. Great views ! The trails are maintained very well and clearly marked we only had one small problem while crossing the creek we lost the trail for a second but it easy to get back on track. Overall a wonderful experience and can’t wait to do it again in the summer.

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Fantastic trail! Did both loops and did not se a single person all day, the scenery is breathtaking! Use good bug spray though, I got some chigger bites.