Whispering Pines Trail

Whispering Pines Trail is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ste Genevieve, Missouri that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Whispering Pines Loop Trail is a 9.2 mile loop trail consisting of two loops: the north loop is approximately six miles long and the south loop is approximately 3.75 miles. It meanders through a beautiful mixed hardwood and pine forest, crossing through streams and over scenic ridges. This trail is arguably the best, most scenic trail in the state. It has a little bit of everything, unusual rock formations, beautiful creeks, old forests, panoramic views, and wildlife. The trail can be strenuous at times, but the climbs are worthwhile as they afford fantastic views of the surrounding mountains. There is a connector trail that allows this trail to be cut in half to make a very nice shortened day hike. There are three backpacking campsites along the trail to accommodate an extended trip. This is one trail that should not be missed!

I do a lot of trail running, and while this trail was not best suited for that, it was still enjoyable. There were a number of times I came to a dead stop to maneuver boulders, cross a creek by way of step stones, or find the trail. The trail marking is probably the worst part of the trail, the signs are about 2”x2”, all on trees, and 5-6’ up. That makes it hard to follow signs when you’re watching your feet for roots and rocks. I much prefer the sign posts as I find at many other parks.

My husband and my self did this trail. Camped out at one of that camp sites along the way. The map only recognizes 3 but there are many people have created through out the trail. The sign does say no fire but each campsite had a fire pit already set up. The trail was perfect not too easy not too hard. Great views ! The trails are maintained very well and clearly marked we only had one small problem while crossing the creek we lost the trail for a second but it easy to get back on track. Overall a wonderful experience and can’t wait to do it again in the summer.

Fantastic trail! Did both loops and did not se a single person all day, the scenery is breathtaking! Use good bug spray though, I got some chigger bites.

Wow, what a beautiful trail! My husband and I camped at Hawn State Park and did this, and other, trails, and it was a great trip.

I was a little concerned that the trails would be muddy, as we'd had a lot of rain recently, but the trails were in great condition. There seems to be enough sand in the soil that they drain well. The trails were also very well maintained with fallen trees and other debris cut and cleared away.

As for the terrain and views--WOW. Beautiful lichen-covered rocks and boulders, stunning overlooks, rolling, wooded hills, lush pine forests, creeks and rock falls. We were there just as the leaves were turning for the fall, and it was like walking through Sleepy Hollow (minus the headless ghost). We will definitely go back!

My wife and I were very impressed with this hike! I would highly recommend going soon as the leaves were changing when we were there last weekend and it was beautiful.

We did the combined loop for an approximate time of 5 hrs 45 min and 10 miles. If you want a shorter hike I would skip the south loop as we both agreed the north was more scenic (with the exception of the furthest south point of the south loop which had some nice rock formations).

You can expect a very serene and relaxing experience as you wander along this beautiful trail. Only a few steep sections. If you want a better idea of what it's like here is a short video we made of our hike...

Went for a short backpacking trip. We hiked the North loop into South loop about
6.5 miles first day. Stayed at one of the campsites...clear and plenty of room for tents. Packed out about 3 miles on day two. Trails were well maintained with a few dots that were overgrown. Encountered a few other people. Overall a good trip. Would definitely come back.

Did the North Loop with my dog a few days ago which is around 6 miles. Would probably like to go back when more leaves have fallen. Most streams were dry so waterfalls weren’t active. Saw only one person in the 4.5 hours. Very good trail with some rough spots and climbing. I enjoyed it very much.

Love it! Serene but difficult. Terrain is rugged, but wandering through the sprawling forest of pine trees is worth it.