Western Wallflower Trail

Western Wallflower Trail is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Warsaw, Missouri that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

beach

It's super short--less than a mile--and the first trailhead you reach after passing the park office. It's blazed in green but not marked well. However, the trail is such a short loop, you can't really get lost. You get good views of the lake. Low vegetation, mostly open trail. Some rocky portions, nothing strenuous. Clear waters, dramatic bluffs and vibrant summer and fall colors make Harry S Truman State Park an ideal place to vacation. Located on a peninsula, the park offers a marina, ample fishing and boating opportunities, and water thats perfect for every kind of swimmer.

In addition to Western Wallflower, I hiked the 1,000th Mile Trail. It was tricky to find the trailhead; you follow the access road to the signs for the marina; you'll see the trailhead on the right, way before you reach the marina. This trail is short and blazed well in red. There is decent variety in elevation and views. I was amazed to see two bald eagles circle me overhead. We also saw a large doe. You reach a high bluff above the lake and can step up to the edge of the trees and rocky ledges to look over the lake.

On the day I visited this park (my first time to this park), I intended to do all 3 trails. However, the access road to reach the longest trail (Bluff Ridge) was closed, presumably for the winter season. That section of the park has a lot of campgrounds; wish I could have seen it. Disappointed to miss out on that last trail. I liked the park but wouldn't put it high on my list for a return hike.

This review is for the Western Wallflower Trail. It's super short--less than a mile--and the first trailhead you reach after passing the park office. It's blazed in green but not marked well. However, the trail is such a short loop, you can't really get lost. You get good views of the lake. Low vegetation, mostly open trail. Some rocky portions, nothing strenuous.

Really nice park over all; The camping area is lovely; in a forrested area and the sites are not super crowded. The trails were a bit short, but all had really nice view of the lake. I kayaked a bit on the lake, but with so many boats running around, I was constantly getting pushed around. Still quite a nice park.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

We camp and hike the trails, as well as swim, at Truman Lake. The trails are nice for family trips. The 2 mile trail has a nice lookout point. The campsites are nice, bathrooms are generally clean, and the swimming is great. Nice water. We always enjoy our trips there.

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Bluff Ridge Trail. 2 mile loop. Trail is well marked. Lots of shade. Only one view of the lake from a bluff though

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Truman is my favorite place to camp close to home. It's a pretty campground. Well maintained. Clean bathrooms. Nice to walk the trails. Find the right campsite... And it's quiet... So far the only place I've seen an armadillo at in Missouri!

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Great state park with multiple recreational opportunities. Campsites well maintained.