West Ridge Trail is a 2.4 mile loop trail located near Weston, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 295 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail connects to Harpst Trail and the Paved Bicycle Trail and is normally accessed from the Overlook parking area by means of the Harpst Trail. When combined with hiking times on the Harpst Trail and the Paved Bicycle Trail, actual hiking time could be up to 2.5 hours. The trail offers some of the best panoramic views available of the Missouri River valley bordering Fort Leavenworth, Kan. Also in view is the city of Leavenworth to the southwest and the Iatan Power Plant to the northwest. Sections of the trail are steep and have exposed tree roots and occasionally muddy conditions. The trail offers excellent opportunities for observing native and migrating birds, as well as a variety of flora and fauna.

Nice families friendly trails.

closed

It’s a nice trail but it’s closed for a couple of more weeks.

Kid friendly trail! Our 5 and 8 year olds had no trouble finishing. Some muddy spots today.

very fun trail with lots of beautiful views. it was quite slick with the snow and ice, but I still highly recommend.

Love this place!!!

well maintained and marked. the second half of the loop is the paved green trail and the yellow trail... other than that it was easy to follow

Overall it was a nice trail with lots of shade. We didn't see a single person when we went on a Monday. We did have a little surprise when our dog came within inches of a Copperhead snake that was sunbathing on the trail, but fortunately it slithered into the brush without giving us any trouble. Would advise being especially cautious with dogs and children.

lightly trafficked great shade

This was a pretty good trail by Missouri’s standards. Very shaded which is always nice. Good views of the river below. Try to to be the first person of the day down the trail. I took a spider web to the face about every 20 feet. Got a little annoying. Let some other unlucky bloke clear the path for you.

Fun trail, not crowded. My 2 and almost 5 year old loved seeing the frogs and the river. 5 year old hiked the whole thing 2 year old I carried most of the time in Kelty. Few steep hills.

A decent and very easy walk for my 4 and 9 yo. Trail was mostly dry with so many frogs jumping around.

Tue May 07 2019

Mon Apr 22 2019

This was my favorite trail at Weston bend. The trees are so tall and covered in moss, I felt like I was in pans labyrinth

Sat Oct 27 2018

Easy hiking trail with beautiful fall color views of the Missouri River.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Nice hike with the family. This trail is always a favorite. Great views of the Missouri River and the town of Leavenworth across the river. The trail is well marked and easy to follow.

Mon Jun 11 2018

My family loves going to this park, it's not too crowded and the trails are convenient. Not very challenging for serious hikers its more for those that just want a leisurely nature walk. A couple of the hills are pretty steep so be careful!

Mon Sep 04 2017

Good hike for the location. Waiting on fall to head back, should be beautiful.

Mon Sep 04 2017

Easy hike with decent views. Can imagine it'd be much more beautiful in the fall with the changing colors.

Wed Aug 16 2017

Great trail.. we brought our dog for a morning hiking session outside KC. Didn't give it 5 only because the views weren't all that spectacular and the trail head was a bit deceiving. We ended up walking more than we needed to, which is fine just a little confusing.

Sun Aug 13 2017

Good hike, some steep hills nice views of the river

Sat Jul 29 2017

Nice little hike. Keep dogs on leash. if they like bounding into the woods without looking they might fall off of a very high ridge/cliff.

Wed May 17 2017

Really nice hiking. The trails hold up when damp too.

Wed May 10 2017

Pretty trail, overlooks the Missouri River on the west side of the loop. Unfortunately, a coal train goes by every twenty minutes or so ruining the peace.

Mon Apr 17 2017

Take plenty of water with you, lots of hills!

Mon Mar 20 2017

A great day and beautiful walk.

Wed Feb 08 2017

Nice local trail for me at one time. Good place to get out of the city and into nature.

Mon Feb 06 2017

Not the most scenic, but a nice set of trails. There are some views off of the west ridge, where you can look over into Kansas. I got about 2.5 miles in a loop. Part of the trail enters the paved course. You can copy and paste the link below for details. http://www.mapmyhike.com/us/platte-city-mo/west-ridge-trail-weston-bend-state-park-course-1604851

Thu Nov 17 2016

good 2.25 mile trail,they have revised it so it isn't straight out and back. took our 4 year old and she made it the whole way.