Wallace State Park Campground Trail

Wallace State Park Campground Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cameron, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Rocky Ford Trail follows a gentle downhill slope to Deer Creek. Old Quarry Trail takes visitors past an old quarry and through a small stand of Scotch and short-leaf pine. Skunk Hollow Trail is a shady path that follows an intermittent stream. For a longer walk, visitors can follow Deer Run Trail, which offers length options up to three and one-half miles through a variety of natural settings. Benches along all the trails not only provide a resting spot for hikers, but also an opportunity to get a closer look at the plants and animals that go unnoticed when one strides through the woods. All the trails combined are about 3.5 miles

Lots more trails here than what is on the app. Did 5.5 miles and still didn’t go on all of them! Very well marked and great up-keep.

Great trail to get away from it all. Well marked. You pass ponds and a stream with plenty of pretty scenery. Deer Run trail is the way to go.

Deer run trail Wallace state park.

Returned for another visit, about a year after my first. We hiked both Deer Run Trails (red and blue blazes) for a total of about 3 miles. Trail marking was much better than when I was here in 2016. We saw 5 whitetail deer about 50 feet from us. Also stopped at the small ponds to hear the frogs “singing” loudly. Rest of the hike was unremarkable. A good couple of loops to do, but it’s not an especially pretty trail.

We then did Skunk Hollow Trail, blazed in brown. It takes you to camping areas. Also not remarkable and I would not do this trail again if I returned. I’d rate this trail 3 stars. But we saw 5 more deer (probably the same ones from the Deer Run Trail) climbing up a bluff; they stopped to look at us, then went up and over the bluff.

Deer Run was an excellent walk through the woods. No spectacular vistas, but the trail is clear, well maintained, and well marked. Only saw one other person while hiking, as well.

Fun day hike and cute lake and playground area for the kids. We saw deer and only a few folks on the trails.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The hike was really beautiful, Wallace State Park is well maintained and the trails are clearly marked, give a very good walk outside, and are challenging without being strenuous. The Deer Run with Deer Creek loop took me about an hour, the dogs loved the walk too. The looks together are about 3.15-3.25 miles depending on where you start. We'll be doing this one again.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Very quick and easy to hike. Up hill first, then it's a quick walk. Three miles is posted, got done hit the other trails and walked around the basic sites. Trails are blazed easy to see. Would be great for kids.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

This is a great place to get any day hike in from short trails to slightly longer ones. You can swim afterwards too!

Saturday, May 07, 2016

I hiked the red and blue trails to shake down a new day pack. I had never been on those trails. It was beautiful and not difficult. Perfect for looking at nature or working on configuring your pack! Loved it and it's 10 minutes from my house!

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Saturday, October 10, 2015

I hiked Deer Run Loop Trail (blazed in red) and Rocky Ford Trail (blazed in yellow), then half of Old Quarry Trail (blazed in green). Beautiful setting in the heavy woods; trail heads for Deer Run and Old Quarry were adjacent to a small, pretty lake with geese.
Deer Run trail: I liked the variety of having a bit of climbing (not much) and then steady descent down. on the Deer Run trail. Wide, mostly dry creek beds were fun to explore. Trail was well marked most of the way, but it got a little confusing when Deer Run hitched onto the Rocky Ford Trail; I had to do a bit of scouting and backtracking to get where I wanted to go.
Rocky Ford trail: delightful! Much of it runs along a creek, and one section has a large rocky ledge to walk out on and view the creek up close. Only a little bit of climbing coming out of the trail. I ended up at the trail head, which is adjacent to the large picnic area.
Was running out of time, so I did just a bit of the Old Quarry trail. Interesting connecting section from the edge of the lake, then it climbed just a bit. I didn't think it was marked as well as the other 2 trails, and it was not quite as scenic as the other two. I'd like to return and do the other two long trails.
Definitely worth a visit!

Saturday, September 19, 2015