Victory Horse Section of The Ozark Trail

Victory Horse Section of The Ozark Trail is a 19.1 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Poplar Bluff, Missouri that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

cave

old growth

This section was named after the old Victory School and incorporates a portion of the Victory Horse trails between Ellsinore and Hendrickson. The trail follows through heavy oak forests punctuated with small meadows. It can be accessed at Brush Arbor trailhead (Walton Chapel on the map) and Upalika Pond trailhead in the center of the section, plus the Wrangler trailhead to the east. Water is available near all trailheads except Wrangler, and in creeks along the trail. A three-mile gap separates this section from the Wappapello section. This section is maintained by the Ozark Trails Club with other local volunteers. Contact Fred Stenger for more information.

After locating the western trailhead I only made it a few yards before having to pick my carbon fat bike over the first of hundreds of downed trees crossing the trail. Never could get on a roll and actually stay on the bike for very far the whole 19 miles. In many areas the trail was so overgrown that I was plowing through heavy vegetation and this being April 25 I question if it would be passable in a few weeks. Many water crossings. No great views. No cool features. Goes through Seed Tick Hollow... and they mean it ! Took my wife and I six hours to remove 3000 ticks from the dog she picked up despite tick control treatment! My pockets were full of ticks. I rate the trail "All the punishment, non of the reward." If you want a much better local wilderness mountain bike trail that's fun fat bike perfect, go to the University Forest Trail.

If you want solitude, this is your trail. I didn't see anyone on the trail the entire trek. I started on the south end of the trail. Finding the trailhead was extremely difficult. I originally went the wrong way based on the directions provided. I did not make it to the Wrangler TH, but parked at the end of the trail about 1.5miles down the way. I left my car on the side of a gravel road as there was no parking. I soloed this trail over a couple days and got lost a few times. Overall the campsite at Upalika TH was nice as it was next to a huge pond. The bad part about this trail was all of the county roads I had to cross. Also, at Upalika TH there was a main road that went by that had lots of ATV trails in the area. Not so much solitude here. :( In the end this ended up being an easy trail with little elevation gain or loss. Not really any cool natures scenes (waterfalls, rock formations, large creeks) either which was a bummer.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

The trail was well marked, but pretty grown up. We didn't see anyone else there- except for a rabbit & a deer. Be sure & use bug spray because there are ticks, especially in the areas that really grown up with weeds. Overall, a nice hike through the woods.

Friday, April 26, 2013

this is a good trail after I got past the mile 1/2 where the logger have been working. It is a good moderit trail for beginners or novist as well.