Valley View Glades Trail

Valley View Glades Trail is a 2.8 mile loop trail located near Hillsboro, Missouri that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This dolomite glade is a designated Natural Area. Located in central Jefferson County, this 225- acre site is on Route B between Cedar Hill and Hillsboro. These glades have been only lightly disturbed by human activity. The plants and animals here are similar to those that were here at the time of settlement. The glades are dominated by little bluestem, Indian grass, big bluestem and prairie dropseed. The Fremonts leather flower occurs only in this part of Missouri. These glade communities are maintained by periodic prescribed fire and cedar removal. The area features pockets of blackjack oak as well as Eastern red cedar, post oak, flowering dogwood and fragrant sumac. This dry upland forested portion is one of the least disturbed of its type in this region. The small, intermittent streams that drain the glades add diversity. For such a small area, remarkable examples exist of stream ledges, waterfalls, overhangs and pools. Many kinds of snakes and lizards, as well as larger animals such as deer and turkey, inhabit this area.

Love this Trail! Light and fun

I did this trail for the first time yesterday. It was really enjoyable. I found it to be a nice blend of wooded valleys crossed by creeks, meadows and glades, and mixed woods. The recent dry weather has left the creeks and waterfalls almost dry. There are numerous ups and downs, but most are short in duration and not difficult even for someone who's out of shape like I am right now. There are areas where the path is rocky and has lots of exposed roots, and care should be taken there. Good walking/hiking shoes with firm soles are definitely recommended. Higher areas have more easy, packed-earth tracks. It's a single track throughout.
Despite the mile, beautiful weather yesterday, I felt as though I had the trail almost to myself, only seeing five other people the whole way. That added to the feeling that I was much further away from civilization than I actually was.

Wear sturdy shoes! Such a great variety of scenery, well marked trail, bring water!

was a fun trail!

This is a beautiful area with lots of wildflower I've not seen anywhere else. At this time of year (June) the forest is thick in many areas and the creek beds are mostly dry. There are a lot of ups and downs, tree roots, and loose rock. I would definitely rate this trail moderate and encourage the use of hiking poles for anyone with tricky joints or balance issues. The path we took was a little over 3 miles, we may have done both the larger loop and got a little turned around somewhere along the way. In general, the trail is well-marked and easy to spot. I will definitely visit again in the fall.

Beautiful trail! Fields, forests, and streams all in one hike. Saw lots of beautiful flowers and various creatures from turtles to crayfish! Will definitely be hiking this trail again!

A good moderate hiking trail

Such a great place to lay a blanket out near the end of your hike and watch the sunset!! Breathtaking!!

Longer than expected, felt more like 28 miles

Friday, November 25, 2016

I hike it about once a week cause I live close by. My dogs love it up there. We don't always stay on trail, we cut thru glades and explore. Lots of creeks, hills and rocks. After a good rain little water falls all over.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Great hike in all regards. Excellent views, varied terrain, and a good length. The full loop took us under 2 hours but it was a good workout for me.

All told this trail is the perfect afternoon trek.

Friday, October 21, 2016

the trail was nice. lots of wild life to enjoy and we'll marked. I usually go by myself and that gives me a great since of security

Monday, October 17, 2016

Awesome trail. Go after a rain and you will see many neat waterfalls.

Friday, August 19, 2016

One of the best trails in town!

Friday, August 12, 2016

very beautiful area. Kicked our butts but it was also 95°. Many nice ,dry waterfalls and gorgeous views.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Very well marked and enjoyable trail.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Beautiful hike! Trail is well marked. Trail does cross a dry stream in a few places that could become an issue if we have had a hard rain recently. It's a beautiful, natural area. I highly recommend it.

Monday, August 08, 2016

I've done this trail many times. My only complaint is some of the terrain can be pretty loose

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Moderate trail. Well marked. It would be better in Spring or with more rain.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Trees down everywhere. other than that scenery was nice. great workout.