Valley View Glades Trail

Valley View Glades Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hillsboro, Missouri that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This dolomite glade is a designated Natural Area. Located in central Jefferson County, this 225-acre site is on Route B between Cedar Hill and Hillsboro. These glades have been only lightly disturbed by human activity. The plants and animals here are similar to those that were here at the time of settlement. The glades are dominated by little bluestem, Indian grass, big bluestem and prairie dropseed. The Fremonts leather flower occurs only in this part of Missouri. These glade communities are maintained by periodic prescribed fire and cedar removal. The area features pockets of blackjack oak as well as Eastern red cedar, post oak, flowering dogwood and fragrant sumac. This dry upland forested portion is one of the least disturbed of its type in this region. The small, intermittent streams that drain the glades add diversity. For such a small area, remarkable examples exist of stream ledges, waterfalls, overhangs and pools. Many kinds of snakes and lizards, as well as larger animals such as deer and turkey, inhabit this area.

Beautiful area, babbling rocky brooks tumbling over rocky shelves.. the trails can be a little tedious but fun.

There was a lot of trash, beer cans and broken glass of you follow the creek bed. Pretty big hills to walk up but quite.

Loved the hike!!!

Love this hike! Lots of creek crossings for the kids & dogs to cool off. Many species of lichen & moss.

Love this Trail! Light and fun

I did this trail for the first time yesterday. It was really enjoyable. I found it to be a nice blend of wooded valleys crossed by creeks, meadows and glades, and mixed woods. The recent dry weather has left the creeks and waterfalls almost dry. There are numerous ups and downs, but most are short in duration and not difficult even for someone who's out of shape like I am right now. There are areas where the path is rocky and has lots of exposed roots, and care should be taken there. Good walking/hiking shoes with firm soles are definitely recommended. Higher areas have more easy, packed-earth tracks. It's a single track throughout.
Despite the mile, beautiful weather yesterday, I felt as though I had the trail almost to myself, only seeing five other people the whole way. That added to the feeling that I was much further away from civilization than I actually was.

Wear sturdy shoes! Such a great variety of scenery, well marked trail, bring water!

was a fun trail!

This is a beautiful area with lots of wildflower I've not seen anywhere else. At this time of year (June) the forest is thick in many areas and the creek beds are mostly dry. There are a lot of ups and downs, tree roots, and loose rock. I would definitely rate this trail moderate and encourage the use of hiking poles for anyone with tricky joints or balance issues. The path we took was a little over 3 miles, we may have done both the larger loop and got a little turned around somewhere along the way. In general, the trail is well-marked and easy to spot. I will definitely visit again in the fall.

Beautiful trail! Fields, forests, and streams all in one hike. Saw lots of beautiful flowers and various creatures from turtles to crayfish! Will definitely be hiking this trail again!

A good moderate hiking trail

Friday, May 05, 2017

Such a great place to lay a blanket out near the end of your hike and watch the sunset!! Breathtaking!!

Friday, March 24, 2017

Longer than expected, felt more like 28 miles

Friday, November 25, 2016

I hike it about once a week cause I live close by. My dogs love it up there. We don't always stay on trail, we cut thru glades and explore. Lots of creeks, hills and rocks. After a good rain little water falls all over.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Great hike in all regards. Excellent views, varied terrain, and a good length. The full loop took us under 2 hours but it was a good workout for me.

All told this trail is the perfect afternoon trek.

Friday, October 21, 2016

the trail was nice. lots of wild life to enjoy and we'll marked. I usually go by myself and that gives me a great since of security

Monday, October 17, 2016

Awesome trail. Go after a rain and you will see many neat waterfalls.

Friday, August 19, 2016

One of the best trails in town!

Friday, August 12, 2016

very beautiful area. Kicked our butts but it was also 95°. Many nice ,dry waterfalls and gorgeous views.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Very well marked and enjoyable trail.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Beautiful hike! Trail is well marked. Trail does cross a dry stream in a few places that could become an issue if we have had a hard rain recently. It's a beautiful, natural area. I highly recommend it.

Monday, August 08, 2016

I've done this trail many times. My only complaint is some of the terrain can be pretty loose

Sunday, July 31, 2016

This is I am told a 3 mile trail but it feels longer due to steep inclines. It has beautiful creek with small waterfalls and wonderful native spring flowers.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Moderate trail. Well marked. It would be better in Spring or with more rain.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Trees down everywhere. other than that scenery was nice. great workout.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

One of my faves

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Great trail. I took my wife and 5 kids on this trail. I loved the diversity in the vegetation. Beautiful flowers and wonderful views in some spots. the especially loved the numerous creeks and waterfalls. can't wait to go back in the early fall.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

I really enjoyed this hike with my son today! I started taking him on hikes here back when he was just 2 years old. He is now 16! This is a great intermediate trail that is just under 3 miles and quite diverse. The diversity includes numerous wildflowers, tiny waterfalls and stream crossings, ~400 ft of elevation gain as you explore the woods and glade terrain, several native bird species and squirrels galore.

Monday, April 04, 2016

just hiked this today. a beautiful 73 degree cloudless day, perfect for hiking. It has been. one of my shorter hikes, but by far one of the most strenuous! It has become a quick favorite of mine.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

I've hiked this trail a few times and always enjoy the variety. There are plenty of stretches of wood, stream, glade, flat and steep-ish to keep it interesting. There's a short stretch of loose rock, but the trail is mostly clear, well marked, and appropriate for youngsters and beginners.