Valley View Glades Trail

Valley View Glades Trail is a 2.8 mile loop trail located near Hillsboro, Missouri and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This dolomite glade is a designated Natural Area. Located in central Jefferson County, this 225- acre site is on Route B between Cedar Hill and Hillsboro. These glades have been only lightly disturbed by human activity. The plants and animals here are similar to those that were here at the time of settlement. The glades are dominated by little bluestem, Indian grass, big bluestem and prairie dropseed. The Fremonts leather flower occurs only in this part of Missouri. These glade communities are maintained by periodic prescribed fire and cedar removal. The area features pockets of blackjack oak as well as Eastern red cedar, post oak, flowering dogwood and fragrant sumac. This dry upland forested portion is one of the least disturbed of its type in this region. The small, intermittent streams that drain the glades add diversity. For such a small area, remarkable examples exist of stream ledges, waterfalls, overhangs and pools. Many kinds of snakes and lizards, as well as larger animals such as deer and turkey, inhabit this area.

was a fun trail!

This is a beautiful area with lots of wildflower I've not seen anywhere else. At this time of year (June) the forest is thick in many areas and the creek beds are mostly dry. There are a lot of ups and downs, tree roots, and loose rock. I would definitely rate this trail moderate and encourage the use of hiking poles for anyone with tricky joints or balance issues. The path we took was a little over 3 miles, we may have done both the larger loop and got a little turned around somewhere along the way. In general, the trail is well-marked and easy to spot. I will definitely visit again in the fall.

Beautiful trail! Fields, forests, and streams all in one hike. Saw lots of beautiful flowers and various creatures from turtles to crayfish! Will definitely be hiking this trail again!

A good moderate hiking trail

Such a great place to lay a blanket out near the end of your hike and watch the sunset!! Breathtaking!!

Longer than expected, felt more like 28 miles

I hike it about once a week cause I live close by. My dogs love it up there. We don't always stay on trail, we cut thru glades and explore. Lots of creeks, hills and rocks. After a good rain little water falls all over.

Great hike in all regards. Excellent views, varied terrain, and a good length. The full loop took us under 2 hours but it was a good workout for me.

All told this trail is the perfect afternoon trek.

the trail was nice. lots of wild life to enjoy and we'll marked. I usually go by myself and that gives me a great since of security

Awesome trail. Go after a rain and you will see many neat waterfalls.