Valley View Glades Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hillsboro, Missouri that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This dolomite glade is a designated Natural Area. Located in central Jefferson County, this 225-acre site is on Route B between Cedar Hill and Hillsboro. These glades have been only lightly disturbed by human activity. The plants and animals here are similar to those that were here at the time of settlement. The glades are dominated by little bluestem, Indian grass, big bluestem and prairie dropseed. The Fremonts leather flower occurs only in this part of Missouri. These glade communities are maintained by periodic prescribed fire and cedar removal. The area features pockets of blackjack oak as well as Eastern red cedar, post oak, flowering dogwood and fragrant sumac. This dry upland forested portion is one of the least disturbed of its type in this region. The small, intermittent streams that drain the glades add diversity. For such a small area, remarkable examples exist of stream ledges, waterfalls, overhangs and pools. Many kinds of snakes and lizards, as well as larger animals such as deer and turkey, inhabit this area.

Spectacular hike. This is our go-to trail for local Hillsboro, and we have been here many times. The fall colors were amazing and we did this 2.8 mile hike in a brisk 45 minutes. We saw nobody on the trail during our hike. There were occasional horse droppings on the trail since people do ride their horses on the trail. We recommend going to the right and walking the loop counterclockwise, saving the open glades portion to the end.

Fun hike! Lots of going up and down hills but short enough not to kill you. The views with the fall leaves were beautiful. I did this trail in about an hour and 40 minutes but my very excited dog set the pace :) We only passed about 4 or 5 other people on a Saturday afternoon.

7.21.2018. We went left at trail head; much preferred. The beginning 1/2 mile was quite rocky, and many roots, felt like walking through dry creek bed, we almost turned back! Many narrow areas with light vegetation overgrowth. Three to four creek crossings practically dry this time of year. We brought our standard and toy poodles, sprayed Sargent tick and flee spray and they seem fine after. We used deep woods off, three hikers, no ticks!

So rest of hike was quite nice, sandstones, limestones, along most of trail, wild flowers, ferns, butterflies, some open fields (1/4 of trail?) Most of trail quite pleasant, canopy tree lined, wide path.

This was a longer challenging hike for me and my 10yr old daughter. Parts of the trail were overgrown so hopefully we don’t get poison oak! Overall, it was beautiful and so close it home!

My go-to trail. Hike here a lot. Take it to the right/counter clockwise...saves all the little water falls n streams to the end. Lots of wildflowers and butterflies. Pretty icicles in the winter on the srreams.

Beautiful trail! Lots of flowers, creatures, and views of the creek. I do not suggest bringing young children unless you plan to carry them 3/4 the trail, though. Not kid friendly.

Beautiful area, babbling rocky brooks tumbling over rocky shelves.. the trails can be a little tedious but fun.

There was a lot of trash, beer cans and broken glass of you follow the creek bed. Pretty big hills to walk up but quite.

Loved the hike!!!

Love this hike! Lots of creek crossings for the kids & dogs to cool off. Many species of lichen & moss.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Love this Trail! Light and fun

Sunday, August 06, 2017

I did this trail for the first time yesterday. It was really enjoyable. I found it to be a nice blend of wooded valleys crossed by creeks, meadows and glades, and mixed woods. The recent dry weather has left the creeks and waterfalls almost dry. There are numerous ups and downs, but most are short in duration and not difficult even for someone who's out of shape like I am right now. There are areas where the path is rocky and has lots of exposed roots, and care should be taken there. Good walking/hiking shoes with firm soles are definitely recommended. Higher areas have more easy, packed-earth tracks. It's a single track throughout.
Despite the mile, beautiful weather yesterday, I felt as though I had the trail almost to myself, only seeing five other people the whole way. That added to the feeling that I was much further away from civilization than I actually was.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Wear sturdy shoes! Such a great variety of scenery, well marked trail, bring water!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

was a fun trail!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

This is a beautiful area with lots of wildflower I've not seen anywhere else. At this time of year (June) the forest is thick in many areas and the creek beds are mostly dry. There are a lot of ups and downs, tree roots, and loose rock. I would definitely rate this trail moderate and encourage the use of hiking poles for anyone with tricky joints or balance issues. The path we took was a little over 3 miles, we may have done both the larger loop and got a little turned around somewhere along the way. In general, the trail is well-marked and easy to spot. I will definitely visit again in the fall.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Beautiful trail! Fields, forests, and streams all in one hike. Saw lots of beautiful flowers and various creatures from turtles to crayfish! Will definitely be hiking this trail again!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A good moderate hiking trail

Friday, May 05, 2017

Such a great place to lay a blanket out near the end of your hike and watch the sunset!! Breathtaking!!

Friday, March 24, 2017

Longer than expected, felt more like 28 miles

Friday, November 25, 2016

I hike it about once a week cause I live close by. My dogs love it up there. We don't always stay on trail, we cut thru glades and explore. Lots of creeks, hills and rocks. After a good rain little water falls all over.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Great hike in all regards. Excellent views, varied terrain, and a good length. The full loop took us under 2 hours but it was a good workout for me.

All told this trail is the perfect afternoon trek.

Friday, October 21, 2016

the trail was nice. lots of wild life to enjoy and we'll marked. I usually go by myself and that gives me a great since of security

Monday, October 17, 2016

Awesome trail. Go after a rain and you will see many neat waterfalls.

Friday, August 19, 2016

One of the best trails in town!

Friday, August 12, 2016

very beautiful area. Kicked our butts but it was also 95°. Many nice ,dry waterfalls and gorgeous views.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Very well marked and enjoyable trail.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Beautiful hike! Trail is well marked. Trail does cross a dry stream in a few places that could become an issue if we have had a hard rain recently. It's a beautiful, natural area. I highly recommend it.

Monday, August 08, 2016

I've done this trail many times. My only complaint is some of the terrain can be pretty loose

Sunday, July 31, 2016

This is I am told a 3 mile trail but it feels longer due to steep inclines. It has beautiful creek with small waterfalls and wonderful native spring flowers.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Moderate trail. Well marked. It would be better in Spring or with more rain.