Trail of the Four Winds - North Loop

Trail of the Four Winds - North Loop is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Brumley, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 374 feet Route Type: Loop

Lake of the Ozarks at its best. Nice trail for the area. You will see a lot of nice terrain. You will start from the parking lot and go across the street to the east trail. You will cross a gravel road twice, once headed east and the other time coming back across it headed west. Be prepared to climb. Not much of a payoff on the downhill. Also, the travel is very lose. Great scenery.

Went to the trailhead for the North loop and ended up taking the fork to the right and on the entire loop of the Four Winds trail. The trail is marked well but pay attention once you pass the quarry and go the left for the north loop. If you go to the right you end up on the full 9.1 mile loop of the Four Winds. It’s pretty overgrown in parts but not very difficult or technical. Still, it’s easy to go on the longer loop.

Wed Oct 17 2018

I only hiked the portion shared by the South loop as I hiked the entire south loop on 10/15/2018. It took me 7 hours with two short stops for about 15 minutes each and one about half way for about 30 minutes for lunch. Not many scenic views but there was such a nice diversity in the terrain. There was nice woodlands to some swampy area to open meadow. Part of the trail was closed and had to detour around.. It had rained the day before and several parts of the trail were muddy.So I am not sure if that was the cause of the detour. The trail was marked pretty good with the red and red/ green blazes. The most enjoyable part and most beautiful portion was that portion where the south and north loops share the trail. I would like to have been able to do the north loop as well to compare both loops.

Wed Sep 26 2018

Sat Jul 28 2018

Easy trail with pretty sights. Only warning is WEAR BUG SPRAY. Especially around ankles and such as we were infested with tiny seed ticks after it. Had to pick off ourselves as well as spray our vehicle down. (Or “bomb” it). UPDATE We had to be put on antibiotics because of issues with tick diseases.

Tue Jul 03 2018

Went for a run.. Not able to see great views. The meadow was pretty but there was a TON of cobwebs. Overall just a windy wooded path. Good for a short trail run, you won’t get lost. Went on it in the late evening, almost at dark, kinda gave me the creeps.

Tue May 15 2018

TICKS galore!! mud, horse crap, every step attacked by spider webs, got lost, definitely not kid friendly. Probably won’t try this one again

Sun Apr 29 2018

First hike of the season...weather worked out great. Trail listed as moderate but I would say easy and a half....not quite moderate but definitely more than easy.

Tue Apr 17 2018

Very peaceful. Couple of creeks. Only made it 2 miles. Dogs were done by then lol. We have little ones. A lot of horse tracks but saw none.

Fri Mar 30 2018

We clocked it at 5 miles. None of the climbs were difficult. Several stream crossings some easier than others but we made through dry. Lots of horse tracks but we did not see any. Lots of different terrains. Very enjoyable

Tue Dec 19 2017

The quarry part is kind of neat to see! Nice, easy trail.

Wed Nov 22 2017

Went this morning with husband and dogs. Great trail. I loved all the changing sceneries. It went from woodlands, to creek beds, to meadows, to rock quarry’s, and then pinky pathways. Very beautiful and it was pretty well maintained and the trails were marked and easy to find.

Sat Jul 22 2017

Trails are overgrown and I was covered in ticks at the end of it. Tiny ones.

Thu Jun 22 2017

Nice terrain for trail running but not recommended if you're an early morning runner. The trail is narrow through much of the wooded area, and as the likely first visitor of the day, I spent half of the time clearing cobwebs.

Sun Oct 16 2016

We thoroughly enjoyed walking this trail. The various creeks were beautiful and the old stone bridge was a perfect place to take pictures. We saw various types of woodland scenery, an old cemetery, and the old quarry. The terrain was rocky and uneven, but that is why it's marked moderate. If you are sure footed and in decent shape, you won't have any problem with this trail.

Mon Jun 06 2016

I hiked the North Loop of this trail. It was very easy to navigate with the green blaze markers. There is a fantastic variety of terrain. The trail is very rocky in places but runs through several meadows and crosses creeks. I was able to complete it in just over 2 hours. Absolutely beautiful!

Thu Jul 25 2013

This trail is always a challenge, with plenty of elevation change. It is reasonably well-maintained but some parts are very rough due to equestrian use. The trail travels through the standard Missouri oak and hickory forests and a small part of the trail runs along the shoreline of the Lake of the Ozarks.

Sun Sep 18 2011

Went for a ride through the first connecting trail at Four Winds. The trail was in bad shape from a recent storm. It was definitely dry, but there were lots of down trees and plenty of sticks and branches on the trail. It would be much better for hiking than riding. In fact, we spent plenty of time off our bikes just trying to get over trees and other obstacles. The trail is very rocky with many loose rocks. You definitely have to watch your footing or where your wheels are headed. That said, it is a gorgeous trail and provides plenty of ups and downs to test your stamina. It took us an hour to complete the 3 miles trails and we were both worn out after such a "short" ride. I doubt we'll ride it again, but we may go back for a hike.