Trail of Tears Red and Yellow Loop

Trail of Tears Red and Yellow Loop is a 9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jackson, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Mileage for loops is not accurate. Red loop 6.1 miles. Hike red and yellow it is a little over 9 miles

great challenging terrain at spots and several scenic views

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Nice long trail that has steep hills and scenic views on the Mississippi River. I went on the part of the trail that takes you to the backpackers camp. Saw a lot of birds and deer. Good place to see Bald Eagles along the river. Please watch your step for snakes during the warm months.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Loved it
A nice workout
The views are amazing

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Peaceful, with some beautiful views of the Mississippi river, but definitely would wait a little later in the year to go when you can wear long pants! ticks and mosquitos were terrible

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

The first 1/3 of the trail was challenging to difficult with many hills and dry creek bed crossings - if one follows the red highlighted trail clockwise. the last part of the trail is actually a blacktop road. It is probably about a half mile. Other routes will avoid the blacktop. There was some vegetation leaning over the trail in some or more areas. long pants is suggested. Trail markers were nonexistent for about the first mile clockwise to the first 't'. Enjoy.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Peewah was beautiful and challenging.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Nice little trail with great views of the Mississippi river

Monday, October 26, 2015

Beautiful hike! Can't wait to do it again!

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Great camp sites we had a blast!

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Nice trail with nice scenic overlook of Mississippi if you take the detour to the east.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Good trail. Spiderwebs everywhere, but that's the time of year!

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

I hiked the Peewah trail two weeks ago. It is an awesome trail. I started on the red line, but I ended up on the yellow line because I thought that was the longer trail. I guess I should of been more aware of my trail before I started. If I ever visit Missouri again, I will definitely hike here again!!

Sunday, November 02, 2014

This was a fabulous hike. I took the red section (about 5.75mi) and enoyed the trail. It is definately very wooded, trail was covered in leaves for the season, but was a very good trail. It was very peaceful, not too many people on it for a Sunday mid day.

Monday, July 07, 2014

Did the yellow loop very scenic and very buggy- don't forget your bug spray. I will do this trail again when cooler and leaves changing color and after they are down for some great views I'm sure!

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The yellow east leg of the Pee Wah Trail is very scenic along the river. The trail head sign says 3.25 hours and they are not kidding. We did the whole trail and the spur and it took 3.25 hours. If you want to do a short hike then just go down to the fork in the trail and go right on the spur / scenic overlook. Well worth it. The portion of the yellow trail heading back to your car is a bit rugged with lots of poison ivy. Look for the yellow trail markers on the trees lest you end up hiking a creek bed...Saw a speckled king snake near the dry creek bed. See photos.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

I have hiked this trail several times. I normally park at the trailhead by the gate (gate closed at 7:00 P.M.) and walk the red loop. It is approximately 5.8 miles if you only do the red trail. The red loop is not that scenic. It stays in the timber with no over looks. Be prepared for poison ivy because it is everywhere and it is thick. The yellow loop has it own trailhead with parking. This loop gets you closer to the river with several overlooks. There are a couple of spurs off of this trail that take you to bluff overlooks. The combined distance for both looks is around 8.5 miles.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Definitely enjoyable. I started with the lake trail to get the feel of the land before taking my dog out to Shepherd's Point. Lots of hill and rough terrain but lots of fun. I plan on backpacking there in the fall.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Great, dynamic trail with beautiful views of the Mississippi and Illinois. Older part of the trail is a tad rough around the edges and I would suggest hiking this trail when the leaves are off the trees for maximum views.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Be sure to check out the new connector trail for Sheppard Point trail. The trail head is at Green's Ferry Shelter and starts behind the pit toilet. It is not officially open but you can now make your way to one of the best spots in the park.

recorded prewar