Trail Among the Trees

Trail Among the Trees is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glencoe, Missouri that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

bridge out

Great trail for the day after a good rain! Some parts weren't paved but for the most part it was, which was nice to not have the hike not be as muddy! Will definitely visit again.

I love this trail. This was my favorite as a little kid and is still one of my favorites. Maybe it’s the memories.

It’s pretty, paved, and not too hard...but does get steep in some areas.

Disappointed to find the surface was paved. The trail runs right by some large boulders that have fractured off of the rock exposures. I used this trail to connect from Lime Kiln to Green Rock on the other side of Glencoe Road.

Easy trail - part if it is paved - one area has 48 steps you have to climb if you come from the office area starting location

Not sure I 100% agree with “easy” rating. Granted it is short, but the elevation changes are no joke. Great trail! I got an unexpected butt-kicking!!!

A great hike with great views and rock formations. I go every year to view the fall colored trees. It's very beautiful!

I wouldn't label this trail as "easy," but maybe "moderate." Although most of it is paved, there are some good climbs, nice views, and interesting rock formations. Very well maintained. Not spectacular, but still a solid hour well spent!

nice trails, even on hot day the tree tops kept it nice and cool

Definitely challenging with elevation gains. We ended up veering off Lime Kiln to take Trail Among The Trees and then to Rock Quarry and back again. Both are pretty scenic, though Lime Kiln is more challenging. Would visit again. Lots of downed and dead trees in some spots, with just a few parts of the trail blocked by such (but still navigable). Part of a bridge is out on Trail Among the Trees so there is a detour around it, though we ended up going that way anyway and climbing up the side. We went on a week day and there was little to no other hikers there.

short loop, it made it more interesting because there was a bridge out and helped reduce the traffic but still more people enjoying the day on the trails than I like.

Easy enough for small kids, but moderate enough to keep it interesting for teens and adults. Beautiful cliffs, ravines and boulders.

Bridge is still out but it's still doable. Good trail for newbies and families. Lots of interesting fauna & flora too if you're paying attention.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Great trail! Love all the great rock formations and nice overlooks.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The missing bridge added a bit of adventure for my 9 year old who accompanied me.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

A beautiful hike if you don't want to deal with mud since it's mostly paved. The bridge isn't fixed yet but you can climb around it pretty easy.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Did a night hike put on by the MO conservation department. Trail was nice and pretty easy. There is some incline but nothing too strenuous. Good for a quick walk.

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Trail was nice but didn't get to complete it do to a tree failure that took out the bridge - but it was interesting to see the force that a fallen tree can have on a man-made structure. Will need to go back and complete this trail sometime

Sunday, November 27, 2016

The first part of the trail is super-easy unless you decide to climb on some of the gorgeous bluffs and rock formations along the trail, an act explicitly and strictly forbidden by the signs. Therefore, we did not touch the bluff with the cave, where the signs were, but we did ascend a very small offshoot in front of one of the formations to find the perfect spot for an ambush, should one ever seek to become a bandit. The last formation before the washed-out bridge was covered with a gaggle of ten children, so we slid past that one as quickly as possible.

If you're looking to avoid hills, however, you should definitely turn back at the site of the ex-bridge or face immediate disappointment. The ascent begins immediately after; while not overwhelming, it was certainly strenuous enough to make this old woman pant a bit.

I can't comment much on the rest of the scenery at this time, because it was late dusk while we finished the trail and the light was dim. What we could see was interesting enough for us to mark this hike for a return trip so that we could get some decent pictures.

All in all, a very nice hike, and more enjoyable than I would usually expect from a paved trail.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Trail of the trees - suspension bridge has been demolished by a tree. Have to go through dry creek bead to left of bridge to continue on trail 4/19/16

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Nice little hike for beginners.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

My kids really enjoyed the hike. This was one of my favorites as a kid. I really miss the cave.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Did the Lime Kiln Loop or something like t hat. It was nice. Good incline towards the beginning and then evens out. Good workout. Beautiful area. Well maintained and well marked.

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Good for us, looking for trails good for beginners. Paved much of the way, stairs, bridges, and lots of rock formations to see. Pretty views at top of the trail. Hiked it clockwise so we started near visitor's center.

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Hiked Trailed Among the Trees with my parents when I was little. It is easy and paved. This trail is what got me into enjoying the outdoors and especially hiking.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The trail is easy but a nice walk with the dogs.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Convenient trail located in St. Louis County. Trails were clear and open.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

A hidden little gem right outside StL. Great trails to choose from and wonderful picnic sites.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Did Trails among the Trees. Easy hike on paved trail, staff very friendly and helpful.

Friday, January 25, 2013

We did the Trail Amoung the Trees hike in this park. This hike is a 1.5 mile loop and includes a nice long wooden bridge. The trail first follows along the remains of quarry opertaions in the park and passes some interesting large rocks. After crossing the bridge, you climb several switchbacks up a large hill for a nice view down below where you hiked earlier. A large portion of the trail is paved, so it's fairly easy although you might be huffing and puffing a little on the switchbacks. It is a nice little park, very quiet compared to some of the busy state parks.