Tiemann Shut-ins Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fredericktown, Missouri that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 141 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

partially paved

Paved Trail, wheelchair accesible, scenic overlooking the St. Francis shut-ins oon the river. a This is a very easy trail. It is paved and has benches located along the way if you need to rest. The trail ends at an observation deck, overlooking the St. Francis River. There are picnic benches at the beginning of the trail ,as well as pit toilets.

Great paved trail. Easy walk with plenty of benches for resting, if needed. Must hike down to get to shut-ins, but the overlook allows you still see a decent amount. Can’t say enough great things about this experience. Would definitely do again, and stay on the rocks and water for an awesome day trip. Absolutely gorgeous and peaceful.

Beautiful trail lots of birds and wildflowers. Beautiful river at the end.

The trail is great for everyone including dogs. The scenery at the end of the trail is breathtaking. It's hard to imagine that you are in the Midwest. It feels like you in the Rockies.

This is a fun beautiful trail. It was mostly paved. I never got bored. There were a lot of great views to look at. This trail is a must. Highly recommend.

Nice walk but there are nicer trails in the area. Save it for summer when you can actually enjoy the water. Paved with benches. If you drive to the pavilion area, there’s a shorter and more rugged trail that will take you to the Cat’s Paw Overlook. It’s part of the Turkey Creek Trail that runs all the way to the Silver Mine.

Absolutely beautful!!

Beautiful, mostly flat trail to the shut ins. We didn’t explore past that point. A huge tree was down across the paved path, so accessibility for those with wheelchairs may be an issue.

Great trail after hiking many difficult ones, this was “a walk in the park.” Ended up at the river, climbed down and enjoyed the scenery.

Great trail and experience! I was actually here just over a year ago and was looking to go back (realized I never left a review!). I am going back to see the rocks and short falls again. Easy in and out with everything you want to see.

We loved this trail!! Shaded most of the way which was great since it super hot! Easy and flat until we climbed down to the water. So beautiful.

Nice, easy winding trail, paved. It doesn't go down to the water, but to a beautiful overlook!! I had no cellphone service in this area. Hikers, please leave no trace; everything that came in with you leaves with you including trash, cigarette butts, and dog poop. Please observe trail etiquette. When using an outdoor toilet, close the lid. This place was not bad, but if everyone does the right thing, it will be nicer for all of us.

I took my four-year-old with me on this hike. It is an easy paved hike and she was able to do that part of the trail. However I decided once we reached the cat's paw Outlook to hike down the rocks to the rapids. It was a hard hike and I had to scout out a path before and then would go back and get her. Well worth it. We stuck our feet in the water and enjoyed the view. We saw a turtle, multiple butterflies, lizards, squirrels, wild flowers, pines, etc and the temperature was about 90 degrees. The path has full shade! July is a hot month but the shade made it enjoyable.

A pleasant walk in the woods but I was disappointed that it didn't actually lead to water access just to an overlook of the shut-in.

Sun Jun 02 2019

A great little outing with the family. We walked the nice trail taking a few cool pics along the way to hte Francis river outlook and then we took to the side trail there down to the river and had a ton of fun on the big rocks, wading some and watching the kayaks go by. A great photo shoot as well along the river. Someone else mentioned it felt a little like Colorado right there and with the big rocks, rapids and big cedar trees, I'd have to agree. It was a very beautiful stretch and amazing day outing. The weather was beautiful today and bugs I'd say were minimal along the trail. Highly recommend!

Wed Apr 03 2019

hidden gem. It seemed like Colorado standing next to the river.

Thu Mar 21 2019

Did this trail yesterday before taking on Taum Sauk. It’s very straightforward since the whole path is paved. The trail is a great stroll in the woods for all skill levels. The views overlooking the river are amazing. Overall a very nice easy trail and a solid warmup for tougher hikes.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Such a beautiful area. Would be best to do in summer to enjoy the rapids.

Mon Jan 07 2019

This is an easy paved trail with enough scenery. The shut-ins are very pretty. We like hiking part of the connected US Forest service trail too.

Tue Aug 28 2018

One of our favorite trails to visit! Breath taking..

Mon Jun 04 2018

The only reason why this is a 4 star trail for me is that it's paved. The LOCATION and SCENERY is amazing. A good pine scent can be found shortly after the trailhead, and there are small chunks of the trail that can be traveled on a dirt path. Once you get to the shutins there's all sorts of spots to climb around on. I went on a 80 degree Sunday evening and only saw two other people. It does say no swimming, so maybe that keeps a bit of the public out. Cannot wait to come here with friends!

Tue May 22 2018

Will definitely do this hike again. The trail is paved until you reach the Cats Paw, which is the lookout, then gravel trails split off each side. We walked around the lookout and down the rock to the St. Francois River rapids. Really cool area. We hung out on the rocks for about an hour.

Mon Jan 15 2018

Fun to play on the rocks in the river.

Sat Jul 29 2017

Great hike - first part is paved - then there are two unpaved trails - make sure you do both. I went down to the river for some pictures - wasn't very hard to find a way down if you don't mind a little rock climbing.

Fri Jun 16 2017

Really nice area. A little busy, but pretty scenery.

Mon May 29 2017

Great little hike. Easy well paved wheelchair friendly trail. Once at the overlook do not forget to do the two unpaved trails leading off the left and right. Beautiful views of the St Francis River rapids.

Wed Dec 07 2016

Path is paved to lookout. Amazing area. We started at parking lot connected to Turkey Creek and then Silver Mines and back. Was a little over 10 miles and was an absolute blast. Will def. return

Wed Nov 09 2016

This is one of my favorite hikes locally. The trail itself is about a two mile loop. It is paved; a slight decline all the way to the river, a slight incline on your way back to the parking lot. It has a nice lookout deck at Cat's Paw (the end of the paved trail) that overlooks the St. Francis River. You can continue to follow the trail after the pavement ends, if you wish. Overall, it is a great place to get outdoors!

Sat Sep 24 2016

My family enjoyed this today. paved walk is super east, stroller/wheelchair friendly. We went down the unpaved trail to the water right at cats paw, with a 1yr old in a carry pack on my back. we took it easy and made it down just fine enjoyed the cool water. saw a copper head on the paved trail headed back to car. gave him his space and we all went on our way. overall enjoyed it.

Fri Jul 15 2016

quick & easy with nice views and wildlife