Thousand Hills Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kirksville, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Thousand Hills Trails natural surface and route through hilly, rugged wooded terrain make it popular with mountain bikers. The trail passes through and along savanna restoration units and at times along Forest Lake.

I'm not sure I would rate this as "Hard," but it's definitely rugged (and certainly hard if you do the entire 10.5mile trail!). Blazed in orange, with white connector trail blazes.
I found the trailhead from the main road, easy to spot. Small gravel parking lot at the TH, and others parked on the road's shoulder. I loved being alongside the lake for the nice views for nearly all of my hike. I completed 3 miles one way, then turned around to return to the TH to leave. I'd like to visit again and complete more of the trail, perhaps from a different TH. Pretty fall leaves, very quiet, and I spotted a huge blue heron gliding along the lake shore. It was a bit muddy, but not problematic (lots of rain earlier this month). It's heavily wooded for most of the trail, but it does open up to a big grassy glade that is at the foot of the lake's dam. I crossed this, following some markers, and picked up the orange blazes again. I crossed a few small creeks, nothing too tough.

Nice trail with fair markings. Mostly flat with overgrown brush from the sides onto the trail. Saw several deer and really like the lake views. Not over crowded so the spider webs were aplenty.

2 days later and my husband and I are miserable with literally hundreds of chigger bites to our legs.

Not marked well . The camping spot is not marked well and it is on the side of a hill . The lake is beautiful
Trail is nice a lot of wild life if you plan to camp use a hammock not a tent .

Monday, February 20, 2017

I like how convenient it is to Kirksville and it's pretty well marked. It's nice for training distance runs because there are mile markers every 0.5 miles so you can plan exactly how far you want to run before turning around.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Backpacked 5 miles into the remote site, backpacked out this morning. gorgeous trail long the lake. The east half is prettiest if you're only doing one part. The remote sites is beautiful. filtered water out if the pond, there's a cool cave at that site.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Trail was not maintained at all. Backcountry campsite was nice. Typical Missouri trail. Lots of weeds and trees. Not too many scenic areas. Will not be coming back

Sunday, August 09, 2015

Super rainy the entire way, but couldn't have picked a better place to have my first solo overnight trip!

Tuesday, September 19, 2017