Swope Park Mountain Bike Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(231)
Swope Park

Swope Park Mountain Bike Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kansas City, Missouri that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 341 feet Route Type: Loop

Small parking area off oldham rd

Great trail. We mountain biked it with our 6.5 year old. Perfect filtered sun through the forest. Would be a beautiful trail to snowshoe this winter.

Great trail. Lots of bikes out, but it was nice.

Enjoyed the trail but sadly do not feel safe returning since my car window was smashed in and I was robbed at the trailhead.

The trail was nice, very mountain-y, but it stayed by the highway most of the time and you couldn’t escape the sound of cars. Definitely wouldn’t mountain bike on this - far too rocky. It was a good hike for exercise, not so much for escape from the city. Fine time, but probably wouldn’t go again.

Nice trail, watch for bikes.

Great Saturday am hike after a night of rain. It was muddy but definitely not as bad as it could of been, which proved the maintenance of the trail is great. No trash. Beautiful sights of squirrels and even 5 deer.

Rocky, urban trail. Don’t see roads or cars much, but you can hear the traffic. Occasional wildlife, friendly people. Bike/hike mix.

For me this is an example of perfect running trails... dirt, rocks, and tree roots winding through forest. No concrete, no asphalt. I recommend this location for running, walking, off road bicycling. trailhead was easy to find. The address that Alltrails has is correct.

I love the terrain of these trails. The limestone outcroppings are beautiful as well as the flatter wooded areas. They are not very clearly marked but that's not a problem for me, I use my phone when we come to a junction to see which way to go. I have been three times and still have yet to hike all of the trails. There is some traffic noise on the South and East sides of the trails but they are still great hiking trails in the city.

First time out here and had a good time. Sometimes hard to tell if you’ve gotten off on the wrong trail (a few blazes or extra markers would be handy). As a new rider, I’d prefer not to get myself on a trail that’s outside my comfort level. Great trail maintenance though! I’ll be back (and hopefully not take that wrong turn) 

Wed Apr 10 2019

Very poorly marked, but it was a fun/challenging trail to ride. I’d recommend others give it a try.

Mon Apr 01 2019

This trail was really nice. I went after it had rained so the water level was a bit high when crossing the creeks. There are a lot of beautiful trees, some small waterfalls and even a cactus. They did a good job making it feel deep in the woods, in spite of the road that runs next to some of the trail. It would be helpful to have more trail markers, though, so know where you’re going.

Sun Feb 03 2019

Poorly marked but a very quiet trail with low traffic

Thu Nov 15 2018

Love this trail. Usually has no traffic and offers several easy-moderate loops.

Thu Nov 08 2018

There were some fun art installations up when we went and the old buildings were fun to explore

Mon Oct 29 2018

This 4.5 mile trail was the perfect 1.5 hour walk. The pretty fall colors were on display. An earlier review had mentioned that it is difficult to keep in the 4.5 mile loop. The key is paying close attention to the green signs for this loop which is called the DeLux Rancho loop. It is constantly bisected by the Woodchuck Run which runs concurrent in some places and crosses it in others. Since this trail is all within cell service it is easy to verify your location on the trail here in the app if you ever get concerned you have gotten off track. This is the perfect little hike surrounded by nature in the middle of the city. The only thing that pulls you out of the calm is that for about 50% of the hike you are within the range to hear traffic on various roads, but that also means 50% is actually noise pollution free!

Wed Aug 22 2018

I love the ability to train on a technical, challenging trail within minutes of midtown KC. I can double and triple up my loops and feel like I’m off somewhere in the mountains.

Sat Aug 18 2018

My absolute favorite hiking trail in KC! Stunning scenery, flat stretches, rocky stretches, abandoned buildings, broad flora and fauna. Gorgeous and well maintained. However, definitely keep this app on you. Trail changes are not marked at ALL. Very confusing if you’re sticking to the 4.5. Otherwise, be prepared for more like 8. 

Thu Aug 16 2018

What a peaceful gem in the middle of the inner city. The trail system was fantastic, quiet and beautiful. The shade made the hike tolerable on a sweltering day. Wish we had brought our bikes because the trails would be amazing for mountain biking. One warning, there is broken glass all over the parking area, make sure all valuables are hidden away. Also, there were hundreds of spider webs across the trail.

Tue Jul 24 2018

I hiked the easier trail. Well defined but sometimes not well marked. Challenging near the bluffs and easy on the north side. Almost stepped on some adolescent raccoons! Don't take valuables - car break ins are common. My car also bottomed out in the unpaved parking area.

Mon Jun 18 2018

Beautiful trail. Not well marked so use this map reference to guide you. I got a little off track for a bit and it ended up being a 7 mile hike!

Sat Jun 16 2018

Brother and I have done ~4 and 5-mile stretches of this trail a few times. It's a nice, well-maintained trail, though the signage is less than helpful in some places. Small variety of features to see. We saw a nice mushroom in a more lush part of the trail and cacti with wildflowers in a rockier part of the trail. (Photos uploaded.) Want to spend more time with it and log more miles on it.

Fri Mar 23 2018

Excellent hike to get out of the city. I hike this a few time a year.

Fri Nov 24 2017

I would definitely do it again, it's nice, lots of rocks, cool scenery, great hike for being located in the middle of the city. Trail is well defined, though not necessarily marked, or blazed. Used for hiking and mountain biking.