St. Stanislaus Trail

St. Stanislaus Trail is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Florissant, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

old growth

810 acre Conservation area located in North St. Louis County. 3.5 miles of trails within the conservation area that runs along the Missouri river. Trails are well maintained for the most part winding through the Missouri river bottoms and up to the bluffs. A few structures remain from the Seminary Retreat which the area got its name from.

I love this area. I grew up here. This is where I developed my love of hiking.

Excellent wildlife opportunities. And some great ruins to discover from 19th century monks.

The trails are really overgrown and the mosquitos are terrible.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

This has a few different trails and I wish someone would have explained it to me, so I will explain it here. There is no postings of the trails.
There are technically 4 trails. If you park on the left side coming from 370 there are 3 trails.

1. A short paved trail through the bottom of the hill. It is very short and very overgrown with honeysuckle.
2. A trail that looks like a country road to the left that goes pretty far to the Missouri river. I haven't gotten to the river as the mosquitoes were bad and it was overgrown and I had my 10 mos old with me. There are some pretty open glades or flood plains. It eventually tapers to a smaller trail. very hot in the summer.
3. This trail goes up the hill. After you go over a bridge and start the incline. It's not fun when muddy. It isn't marked well and can be very overgrown. I've done this trail in fall and enjoyed it. At the top i turned left and there is a partial overlook of the flood plain.

If you park on the right parking area on the other side of the street you will have the 4th trail.
4. A paved trail that ends at a clearing with a bench. it's a nice walk not so much if a hike. You can hike after that clearing. Lots of spiders and over growth. It would be a decent hike if kept up.

Overall it saddens me that these trails aren't kept but I'd think it maybe difficult with the flooding. Too many mosquitoes are too be expected, it's a flood plain. The over growth is cumbersome. I tried to like it.

Monday, January 02, 2017

The trails aren't marked and it is very easy to end up on the private property.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Go watch the sunset on top of the hill on the trail with the bridge.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Worst trail. Garbage was all over the trails, standing smelly water, HUGE flies following the whole way. Wasn't kept up well at all.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This was the worst trail I have ever hiked. I even ended up on a completely different trail by following the this one. It is disgusting. Standing water, mosquito breeding ground, low hanging vegetation, no animals. It's not marked well, obviously. If you want to get eaten alive by bugs and slide in mud while taking in the stench of the standing water, hike here. I have hiked quite a few trails in Missouri and this is, by far, the worst.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

First left off fork was a little creepy...trash and stagnant water. And it led to private property during hunting season! The middle trail on fork was steep but worth hike.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

yeah i like this trail..not fancy..no markers. nice scenery. next time i'm taking a plastic bag to pick up trash on my backtrack..its a real no frills dirt path...easy to follow. not difficult at all but not boring either...

Sunday, October 18, 2015

loved this trail. hiked it with my six year old and was just what we were looking for. some steep hills but lots of fun!!

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Not a bad trail, not a good trail. To much overgrowth and not maintained well. No markers, had to backtrack a bit due to the trail being overgrown and inaccessible. Only good part was the deer that crossed my path on the trail.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Nice trails. I walked back towards the Missouri River and everything was quiet and not many people at all. I found a lean to structure that someone had built. Unfortunately the empty beer cans were there too.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Hiked the southern portion from the eastern parking lot, south of Aubuchon Road. Good aerobic climb up the bluff. Crossed the meadow and walked the trail in the rugged hollow area. Will go back to do the north half. No one there, so it was peaceful. No bugs, ticks, chiggers or poison ivy to contend with this time of year. About four miles total for this portion. Highly recommend this time of year. Trail leads to two different subdivisions. Evidence of mountain bikes on the trail

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Great trail along the river but stay on the river side of the purple paint marks on trees as that marks posted and private property. We ran into the owner. Not good.

Monday, August 25, 2014

This trail is NOT FOR MOUNTAIN BIKING in my opinion. the trails is not well maintained from the start there are trees that have fallen over and they cut the trunks to step over but clearly not to ride over. it is probably good for some hiking and that is why I gave it 3 stars.

Saturday, August 02, 2014

This is a great local trail! Awesome views and clean trails. I run these a few times a week

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Good local trail located just outside the 270 loop in St. Louis. Trail is well maintained for the most part, but does have blow downs and some of it is a little over grown. Transitioning from the bottoms to the bluff has a short but very steep trail. Lots of wildlife and views of the MO River.

Monday, July 22, 2013

This trail does have some very scenic vistas and can be quite adventurous. My problems with the trails are they are not maintained. I feel like I am bushwhacking. Also by some rubble there was some broken glass.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Well paved trail, well maintained, no trash. Kid and dog friendly- Very nice trial in Hazelwood, is apart of the Gateway Greenway trail system. Short hike only a mile, bu this will eventually be expanded.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Disappointed in this trail, especially since it is run by the Conservation Dept. There is a small loop trail that is paved that is labeled as a "Disabled Persons" trail. That small loop is nice- The end of this loop there is a post that says Trail, but there is no trailhead that is marked. The trail is partly gravel, partly dirt and is very poorly marked. We went about a mile before we saw another trail marker. Steep in some places, the trail is moderate- poorly maintained lots of blow downs, at one point the trail leaves the woods and goes into an overgrown field- you walk through grass chest high. At one point we got to a nice overlook of the Missouri river- that is where we got lost- 8 PM with a 20 month old on my back we barely made it out before dark. The trail system needs some improvement- plan on contacting the dept of conservation this week.

Monday, May 08, 2017