Learn more

Spring Creek Gap Glade Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Vienna, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 941 feet Route Type: Loop

Spring Creek Gap Glade Trail, with its combination of forests, woodlands, steep topography, dolomite glades and old fields, is an extremely scenic area, especially during the fall color change. The forest has a nice display of spring wildflowers in the ravines. Cedar Creek, an intermittent stream, bisects the area.

trail was really overgrown on the back half. we lost the trail at the creek and had to bushwack to follow some old blazes. then we lost those and had to follow the creek until we met up with the trail again. I recommend hiking this one in the fall or winter.

Easy to get list download the map!

Solid Trail; however it is not marked very well. There are a ton of deer trails so be careful. Grab a map before you leave the parking area and stay on the main trail. You can follow the creek if you get lost.

A little overgrown in some areas but nothing crazy, but I can definitely see where people would get lost if they don’t have the map. The hills are killer no matter what direction you start from. I didn’t really see any scenic views and you do cross a river three times. Overall I wouldn’t bother doing again, there are nicer places out there.

The Spring Creek. Gap Trail is essentially a service road - don’t let this keep you from the trail. The views are more open than typical Ozark hardwood forest - allowing great views of the valley. There is evidence of the conservation department work to restore and maintain the many glades. There are a couple options for hiking the trail. The shorter loop, left at F (the pond) going counterclockwise from A, is about 4.2 miles. Great section opening up into the valley with flowers along the trail. Looking forward to returning to this trail!

What a wide well groomed trail! It was very easy to follow the trail without looking for markers. The terrain varied from steep hill climbs to rocky down slopes, and stream crossings. A beautiful Missouri hike!

Really enjoyable circuit best done counterclockwise as mentioned below. The trail, a combination of old logging track, 4WD, atv and footpath wanders stream bottoms and ridges through what could be called high county in these parts. Much of the timber is heavily managed along the ridge tops, which combines with the double track to make a reluctant case for backcountry. Still, this is a little treasure well worth the effort. Grateful to have it among public lands.

Basic trail, no special scenic areas. Best hiked counter clockwise, gets you past the hills and the last is easy grades. It would be a tick haven in the summer, nice fall to spring.

Not maintained, trials not marked.

The trail was so overgrown we had to walk down the creek to get out. I highly suggest long pants as we found way too many ticks on us and crawling on our clothes.

Fri Jun 21 2019

It was very overgrown and not well marked. Make sure you wear long pants and wear repellant because the ticks were horrible

Tue Jun 04 2019

Trail was so overgrown and not marked well. Got lost in 3 different areas. I've always done moderate trails and I'm not new to hiking but this was challenging for me.

Sat May 18 2019

Great trail with awesome views. A decent amount of up/down ridge action but absolutely worth it. A few parts of the trail are fairly overgrown, but nothing that was unmanageable. Definitely pay attention to your map, got off trail in a couple spots. I love that it’s dog friendly, certainly wore my Catahoula out!

Sat May 18 2019

All around, up and down. Lots of animals and seclusion. Make sure you pay attention to the map.

Sat May 11 2019

Sun Apr 21 2019

Not like walk in a park. But it’s not a hard trail. Just some down and up hill. I finished this trail with 2.5 hours. Be sure don’t go there after raining, otherwise it will be muddy. For my trip, only the part around H is a little muddy. I saw deers in this area. There are many branch road. Make sure you have the map so that you won’t be lost. There are many marks you can follow the red paint which will guide you in this route.

Sat Apr 20 2019

This trail is UP A STEEP HILL, DOWN A STEEP HILL, CROSS A CREEK, and repeat. It is a beautiful hike but some of the sections are a true challenge to your cardio.

Sat Mar 16 2019

This trail was a challenge for me, but I am not a diehard hiker. Lots of hills and creek crossing. This hike was full of sights to see. You can expect to see hill, bluffs, cedar glades, creek bottoms, hardwood timber and water falls just to mention a few features. You may see some wildlife, but I wouldn't expect to an abundance. There is water along this route, but I would make certain to have a Sawyer or LifeStraw. Beautiful hike. I plan on going back in the fall and winter.

Fri Mar 08 2019

Very nice place to hike and backpack. Nice views and the creek is pleasant most of the year (unless drought). The glades area reminds me more of something you'd see out west. There are also more trails that connect into the main trail to make for some long hiking.

Sat Feb 23 2019

Great trail that looks to be a logging road that follows along ridge lines except when it dips down to cross a small stream, which it does a few times. The scenic overlook at the start of the trail, several pretty waterfalls and some huge sycamores really make this a wonderful trail. There are several steep descents and ascents with grades nearly 40% in some places so hiking poles are recommended. We got caught in a downpour but even then the stream never got over ankle deep.

Sun Feb 03 2019

Great hike if you’re training or looking for a workout. Rated as moderate, but it’s all up and down big hills. Not a walk in the park.

Sun Jan 20 2019

Nice wooded area, with the creek being a bonux