Smithville Lake Trails

Smithville Lake Trails is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Smithville, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

awesome trails...... alot to choose from ......bathrooms on site....... you could easily get in 15 miles of hiking in a day here...... handicap accessible also.......

I will start off with saying,"there isn't a trail around Smithville lake thst isn't worthy of going to see."
All the trails link together and can be a bit confusing at first. Trails are aging. but they are doing a great job at keeping them in good shape. I recommend these trails to anyone, they provide alot of shade as well as open areas, thst on most days, you'll be able to get a good breeze blowing across the lake. some days you'll appreciate it other days it will be your worst nightmare. Come on out and see for yourself, trails just don't get much better than these.

I enjoyed this trail with my daughter during an off season time. We didn't see many other people so that was nice considering they say it's heavily trafficked. The views were nice and the trail was easy to follow with places to take in the views.

My favorite trails in KC. Best sections are: Lakeside Speedway for rocky sections and then awesome lake views; TNT for woodbridge creek crossings and fantastic fall foilage; Happy Jack for the tree canopy. The singletrack is amazing. Asphalt a good alternative when it’s too muddy. Tons of ways to mix up trails and never do the same route twice. Dog friendly, keep them leashed though.

So many options. LOVE this area.

Great trail.

First time at the lake so I wasn't sure what to expect, these trails were a pleasant surprise. They were well maintained and had lots of variety both in difficulty and in scenery. I ended up taking a route that included all the mountain bike trails and I ended up with about 15 miles of hiking.

Disappointing. Bike trails were trimmed but mostly grass and very lightly travelled. Will try again later in the season

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Awesome trails, love them and definitely coming back

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Awesome park for hiking, trail running or mountain biking.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

By far the best trails I have found in KC. Lots of options to go off the pavement into more rocky terrain with a little challenge. As well as some pavement. Pretty views of the lake as a bonus.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Nice paved trails. Plenty of scenic miles to cover if you choose.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Beautiful lake views. Paved trails. Great for biking or walking.

Friday, April 22, 2016

My fiance and I did this trail with our 2 youngest children ( 15 & 11 ). Even though we only did just under 3 miles it was great and we all enjoyed it. The trail along the river can be a little challenging but is worth the views.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Good trail. Says it's 10 miles but actually lots of options for different lengths and different difficulty levels. Some paved and some not. We did both with our dog and really enjoyed the views of the lake, the wildlife, the flowers, and so much more.

Monday, May 25, 2015

It's a good place if you live close to Smithville but if you're going to travel all the way out here from Johnson County Kansas might as well not even come out. Not too sure about the off road trails it was too muddy

Saturday, April 04, 2015

We only went about 2 miles, but it was great practice for the kids, with some rocky areas and gentle slopes.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Great hike. If you take all the alternates for the dirt trails, it will total 10 miles. This is the best set of trails we have hiked in the KC area. The trails are very well maintained and clearly marked. Well worth the trip to Smithville.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Great trail that hugs the lake. Probably my favorite lake with the best trail running along side it. The trail will actually go out on some peninsulas - great place to stop/eat/snack and enjoy nature. Smithville has some of the longest continuous trails next to Perry. But if you are looking to be near the water a lot, this is the trail for you. I remember doing 18 miles out at Smithville and there was more I could have done/opportunities to make the trail longer. Very enjoyable, you are biking through campgrounds so you are around campers some but other places its very quiet.

Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Love these trails. The ones I ride on are paved and follow the shore of the lake. Beautiful place to bike. Easy to add some miles on the road in addition to the trails. During the summer months, bathroom facilities with water are right along the trail. Pit toilets available year round. Great place.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Great trails ranging from easy to difficult. There is an abundance of lake views, wildlife, and shady off-beaten rocky paths. Can be confusing, so grab a map at the entrance. Love this trailhead!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Great set of trails. They have something for everyone. There are easy to difficult trails. Lots of wild life in the area. It was raining but there was several shelters if someone wanted to get out of the rain.

Friday, March 23, 2012

I have to say that I truely love biking up here! It doesn't matter if I am wanting to just go for an easy ride with family, or if you want to have some real fun and test yourself this trail really has it! There is about ten miles of paved path that is extremely pretty, and there are all kinds of off road paths that will keep you up on your game!