Silver Mine Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fredericktown, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 259 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

cave

Silver Mines trail follows the banks of the St. Francis River where it cuts a rugged canyon through granite bluffs overlooking its rocky course through the mountains. Historic remains of mines and rock dam are found on the trail. The trail starts off on the east side of the St. Francis River with a grueling uphill climb over rocky terrain until you reach the Silver Mine Dam. The dam sits below the trail and takes a rocky scramble to get down to the water and back up. The trail then drops to Turkey Creek and a picnic area. The trail stays relatively flat and easy past Turkey Creek and continues to follow the river to Mill Stream Garden. The river is also a popular area for kayakers.

Beautiful trail and views. We hiked to the dam and back on the west side. I lost cell service and my map and kept looking for the spot where we would loop back. I think that you could previously cross on the dam but you cannot now. ? We also could not go past the dam because of overgrowth. We still enjoyed it! Awesome watching the kayakers and the river flowing.

Great hike. Shady for a hot day. A few ticks. Kids loved seeing the kayakers from just across Turkey Creek (area with nice lawn), turnaround point. Dam is a great feature for kids to play on (washed out so can't connect to the other side). Trail is not well marked. We got off trail once. There are some spots with 'stairs' but they just lead to various campgrounds, so don't go that way. $5 fee.

rugged trail. doesn't connect the loop across the day as far I could see. turned around and came back. only completed the one side.

Great hike today 50's to start at 8:30 am and 60's at the finish at around noon. Great views at the top!

Nice trail to hike and watch the kayakers frolic at the dam.

This trail was rocky and sometimes a little hard to follow. There are great views of the river. We took a rest on some rocks and watched kayakers navigating a rapid by the dam. It would be really a good hike before the leaves were on the trees and you had better views of the river.

fee
flooded

Sat Apr 06 2019

Had a fun time walking along the steep bluffs by the river. High water levels made it impossible to cross what I presume what used to be the Silver Mine dam. Don’t forget to bring $3 for parking!

Tue Apr 02 2019

There is NO hiking loop. Please fix this on your site it is very, very misleading

Sun Oct 14 2018

Pretty, but poorly marked. Saw the USFS guys out there mapping the trail properly, so maybe it’ll get fixed up. Standard National Park Rec Area donation fee. Two bucks in the old stump.

Tue Sep 04 2018

This is a great rugged area overall, but the map associated with it on this page wasn't accurate as far as I could tell. We did attempt to follow the marking on the GPS, however getting across to the dam was not happening as the rocks are very slick and the water was moving pretty quickly. I had a pack on with towels and books and didn't want to risk soaking everything so we stayed on the east side of the river. With that said, this is a great place to find a smooth rock along the river and chill out, which is exactly how we spent most of our time here. They also charge $2 for parking, which had I read here more in depth I'd have known, however I didn't and it caught us by surprise. We did have the cash, unknown what the repercussions are if you don't. But what are we paying for exactly, rocks to park on? It sure isn't trail maintenance because there was trash on it such as cans and bags. The trail is also not really marked, I saw zero blazes and only one sign at all, there are a couple of junctions where without any GPS you could certainly get off track. If it's just for some guy to mow the campground (as another commenter mentions) nearby then I can only chalk it up to greed, because I did see them patrolling to get their cash, which is a really sad practice.

Fri Jun 08 2018

Good trails, cool scenery, many places to stop and cool off in the river. Didn't see any snakes, and bugs weren't too bad for me, doesn't mean they aren't there though, I jusr got lucky prob. Had conversations with the park staff and they are very friendly and helpful.

Sun Jun 03 2018

Really great trail with a lot of great views. However, there are a few points that the trail is not well marked, and it can be hard to know where to go.

Mon Apr 16 2018

Beautiful area with some interesting geology

Wed Mar 14 2018

I started at the trail to the dam, ended up at a fork to where you could go see the dam or take the turkey creek trail. I went towards the dam and then went down turkey creek a little ways but couldn’t find where you cross the river so I turned around. It is a little rugged but my dog and I made it just fine. I would like to go back and try and find out where the crossing is.

Sun Jan 21 2018

Great scenery in this area - make sure you do both sides of the river and go all the way to the dam on both sides - the one side will take you to an old mine entrance

Mon Jan 15 2018

Camped here as well. Good times.

Sun May 21 2017

Dam was washed out on side. You can't cross it. Lots of down trees and growth into the trail on the side by the camp host. On the other side of the river it was much better.

Sat Apr 29 2017

Beautiful trail. Can't wait to go back.

Wed Feb 08 2017

This was one of my more favorite short hikes in Missouri. I had no issues with the trails being grown over or anything, although it was February.

Wed Dec 07 2016

Neat area to get lost and explore for a day. Many connecting Trails. Tiemann is a must add while on this trail.

Mon Nov 28 2016

Hike this trail in the fall or spring when the leaves are off the trees. Also, when you get to Turkey Creek, KEEP GOING up the river to Millstream Gardens. You have spectacular views of the river between turkey creek and Millstream gardens when the leaves are off the trees. Just a awesome hime if you hike it at the right time of year.

Sat Jul 23 2016

If u don't stay in the campground, the day use fee to walk the .04 mile trail is a required fee of $2 cash. If u ignore that or try to park outside the day use area you'll find the cranky campground owner inquiring as to why you're loitering just to look up a different park.Not even AN ATM was offered, but a grumpy man telling us he spends a lot of time mowing the side of the road that we are parked on outside the day use area.