Silver Mine Trail

Silver Mine Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fredericktown, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

cave

Silver Mines trail follows the banks of the St. Francis River where it cuts a rugged canyon through granite bluffs overlooking its rocky course through the mountains. Historic remains of mines and rock dam are found on the trail. The trail starts off on the east side of the St. Francis River with a grueling uphill climb over rocky terrain until you reach the Silver Mine Dam. The dam sits below the trail and takes a rocky scramble to get down to the water and back up. The trail then drops to Turkey Creek and a picnic area. The trail stays relatively flat and easy past Turkey Creek and continues to follow the river to Mill Stream Garden.

This is a great rugged area overall, but the map associated with it on this page wasn't accurate as far as I could tell. We did attempt to follow the marking on the GPS, however getting across to the dam was not happening as the rocks are very slick and the water was moving pretty quickly. I had a pack on with towels and books and didn't want to risk soaking everything so we stayed on the east side of the river. With that said, this is a great place to find a smooth rock along the river and chill out, which is exactly how we spent most of our time here.

They also charge $2 for parking, which had I read here more in depth I'd have known, however I didn't and it caught us by surprise. We did have the cash, unknown what the repercussions are if you don't. But what are we paying for exactly, rocks to park on? It sure isn't trail maintenance because there was trash on it such as cans and bags. The trail is also not really marked, I saw zero blazes and only one sign at all, there are a couple of junctions where without any GPS you could certainly get off track. If it's just for some guy to mow the campground (as another commenter mentions) nearby then I can only chalk it up to greed, because I did see them patrolling to get their cash, which is a really sad practice.

Good trails, cool scenery, many places to stop and cool off in the river. Didn't see any snakes, and bugs weren't too bad for me, doesn't mean they aren't there though, I jusr got lucky prob. Had conversations with the park staff and they are very friendly and helpful.

Really great trail with a lot of great views. However, there are a few points that the trail is not well marked, and it can be hard to know where to go.

Beautiful area with some interesting geology

I started at the trail to the dam, ended up at a fork to where you could go see the dam or take the turkey creek trail. I went towards the dam and then went down turkey creek a little ways but couldn’t find where you cross the river so I turned around. It is a little rugged but my dog and I made it just fine. I would like to go back and try and find out where the crossing is.

Great scenery in this area - make sure you do both sides of the river and go all the way to the dam on both sides - the one side will take you to an old mine entrance

Camped here as well. Good times.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Dam was washed out on side. You can't cross it. Lots of down trees and growth into the trail on the side by the camp host. On the other side of the river it was much better.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Beautiful trail. Can't wait to go back.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

This was one of my more favorite short hikes in Missouri. I had no issues with the trails being grown over or anything, although it was February.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Neat area to get lost and explore for a day. Many connecting Trails. Tiemann is a must add while on this trail.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Great area to explore. Many Connecting trails

Monday, November 28, 2016

Hike this trail in the fall or spring when the leaves are off the trees. Also, when you get to Turkey Creek, KEEP GOING up the river to Millstream Gardens. You have spectacular views of the river between turkey creek and Millstream gardens when the leaves are off the trees. Just a awesome hime if you hike it at the right time of year.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

If u don't stay in the campground, the day use fee to walk the .04 mile trail is a required fee of $2 cash. If u ignore that or try to park outside the day use area you'll find the cranky campground owner inquiring as to why you're loitering just to look up a different park.Not even AN ATM was offered, but a grumpy man telling us he spends a lot of time mowing the side of the road that we are parked on outside the day use area.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

It was an ok hike with one or two nice places to stop and enjoy the scenery, however for the most part the trails are dilapidated and over run. I don't know where this 1.9 mile hike was considering there are multiple trails and very very few signs to lead you in the right direction. Per gps I went 4.34 miles.

Pros: a good long hike next to a river. Swimming is possible sometimes along with fishing and maybe camping in a few very small areas.

Cons: I did not do any research on this hike before going, I just saw and went (disclaimer).
There are several trails and several signs pointing this way and that way with cool names but NO distance indicators! Super frustrating. I don't know if I'm going down a 20 mile hike or it's just around the bend.

The trails are wild! Bring a damn machete!

They charge you just to park! Granted it's only two bucks but wtf.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

We camped here and hiked the river trail. Beautiful place, rugged yet easy trail. Climbed down the rocks and stopped along the water for a snooze in the sun, and watched the kayakers take some rapids. Would definitely come back!

Sunday, March 13, 2016

We hiked this trail from Silver Mines to Mill Stream Gardens. It was great to hike along the river for most of the trail. It did get wet at times with some springs running onto the trail. This is a scenic hike with lots to see. If you're lucky you will see whitewater kayakers showing their skills on the river. There are multiple outlooks to sit and watch. I will definitely be back.

Friday, December 11, 2015

The trail was repaired at the dam by the time we hiked it.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Great trail, but on the west side of the river the trail disappears where it appears a rock slide occurred near the dam.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

It was a great hike, but you have to pay to park. $2.00 per car and they want you to write on an envelope but they provide no pen. Other than that it looked like a great place to fish, and I had fun hiking with my kids.

Monday, March 30, 2015

This was a really nice hike, we didn't really follow the actual trail but kinda made our own. We followed along the river collecting rocks. Had a really nice time.

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Great facilities, great scenery, great little hikes, excellent kayaking. Area is replete with backpacking, hiking opportunities.

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Scenic and interesting with old mine and dam.

Monday, May 27, 2013