Sheppard Point Trail

Sheppard Point Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jackson, Missouri that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Trail overlooks the Mississippi River. Steep climbs and water crossings.

No longer a loop trail. It's an out and back, so 3 miles total(1.5 out, 1.5 back). A good trail especially if you look and turn things over as we saw a snake, newts, lizards, mole, mouse, and salamanders. A good workout too but make sure to bring bug spray.

Trail is now open. New bridge at the very beginning of trail. Beautiful hike to get away for a few hours. Nice overlook at top of trail of Mississippi. No loop. You hike in and back out.

TRAIL HAS REOPENED. Steep inclines make this hike a little difficult. It's a double back trail and no longer loops. The trail ends on the cliffs which have a spectacular view of the Mississippi River. The trail takes you down into mossy creek beds and back along the ridge lines, really beautiful and quiet.

Beautiful sights. Cool place to watch the river and you can see for miles.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Trail was closed but great river views near here.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Great trail but it is currently closed.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Lots of steep inclines! Was a blast but definitely a workout for my first actual hike. The river was flooded so we couldn't go all the way around the trail, so I will have to go back whenever the river recedes. Would love to do this trail in a bit cooler temperatures as the exertion and humidity made me wet all over with sweat. Still, it was a lot of fun with great views of the river.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

I did this trail two weeks ago. It was 90 degrees with 64% humidity...yes I was crazy!! It was definitely a hike. It was suppose to be a loop hike, but it rained and the Mississippi River was flooded. When I got 1.8 miles into my hike, I had to turn around and go back due to the flooding. It was a climb uphill almost the whole way back. I also got eaten alive by mosquitos and a special horsefly that would not leave me alone. My fault though because I didn't use bug spray before my hike! I would definitely do this hike again, but I was there visiting/working for two weeks on assignment.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Thursday, July 17, 2014

It's a beautiful trail! You will definitely get some exercise. There is quite a bit of hills. The trail was cleared very well when I hiked it. I went left of the fork you come across. You approach a creek, but it was still nice to explore that area.

Sunday, July 06, 2014

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Saturday, July 27, 2013

This was a fairly intense trail. There were lots of steep up and downs as well as some over growth on the trail. I went with my dog and two friends. One of my friends is a hiker like me and the other isn't so much. She definitely regretted insisting on being able to handle this as her first real trail.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

This is a nice trail in Trail of Tears State Park. The hike is a bit rugged with several ups and downs. You do get a nice view of the Mississippi from the top of the bluffs. We saw only a couple other people on our hike. We did come to a section of the trail where it drops down into a small valley that was a bit overgrown and weedy. We ended up picking up several ticks from that overgrown section of the trail. Overall, it is a nice hike though with a good view.

Saturday, September 22, 2012