Sheppard Point Trail

Sheppard Point Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jackson, Missouri that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Trail overlooks the Mississippi River. Steep climbs and water crossings.

We had a great time on this trail. Not advisable on hiking it in tennis shoes. Hiking boots and pants are best as you brush across different plants and come in contact with spiders and other insects. Beautiful view of the Mississippi River at 1.5 miles in. We completed the trail in roughly 1.5 hours without stopping. To really take in the views expect 2 to 2.5 hours.

This trail is open. Nice new bridge at the beginning. Plenty of parking at trailhead as there is a pavilion for picnicing there. As other reviewers have said, it is an out and back. Parts of it are very steep so you get a good workout. The recommendation to wear bug spray is spot on. The views of the river are spectacular and a nice reward after a challenging climb.

The visitors' center at the entrance to the park is nice too.

Go on a date/time when you know someone else has already hiked, or you will be kissing spider webs every 10'. It's a great trail though!!

No longer a loop trail. It's an out and back, so 3 miles total(1.5 out, 1.5 back). A good trail especially if you look and turn things over as we saw a snake, newts, lizards, mole, mouse, and salamanders. A good workout too but make sure to bring bug spray.

Trail is now open. New bridge at the very beginning of trail. Beautiful hike to get away for a few hours. Nice overlook at top of trail of Mississippi. No loop. You hike in and back out.

TRAIL HAS REOPENED. Steep inclines make this hike a little difficult. It's a double back trail and no longer loops. The trail ends on the cliffs which have a spectacular view of the Mississippi River. The trail takes you down into mossy creek beds and back along the ridge lines, really beautiful and quiet.

Beautiful sights. Cool place to watch the river and you can see for miles.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Trail was closed but great river views near here.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Great trail but it is currently closed.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Lots of steep inclines! Was a blast but definitely a workout for my first actual hike. The river was flooded so we couldn't go all the way around the trail, so I will have to go back whenever the river recedes. Would love to do this trail in a bit cooler temperatures as the exertion and humidity made me wet all over with sweat. Still, it was a lot of fun with great views of the river.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

I did this trail two weeks ago. It was 90 degrees with 64% humidity...yes I was crazy!! It was definitely a hike. It was suppose to be a loop hike, but it rained and the Mississippi River was flooded. When I got 1.8 miles into my hike, I had to turn around and go back due to the flooding. It was a climb uphill almost the whole way back. I also got eaten alive by mosquitos and a special horsefly that would not leave me alone. My fault though because I didn't use bug spray before my hike! I would definitely do this hike again, but I was there visiting/working for two weeks on assignment.

Sunday, June 21, 2015