Sheppard Point Trail

Sheppard Point Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jackson, Missouri that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Trail overlooks the Mississippi River. Steep climbs and water crossings.

it's sad that they had to reroute the trail but still a great local hiking trail. great overlooks of the river, some loose rocks but overall and easy trail.

Not as difficult as the description says it is, my wife and 3 kids did it in a bit over 2 hours and my youngest 2 are 4 yrs old. anybody can do it just put your mind to it and enjoy the hike.

not sure why this is listed as hard. My 4 and 6 year old love this trail. good scenic lookouts. nice trail for dogs. watch out for snakes occasionally, did run across a rattle snake last year. one of my favorite quick trails in the area.

Used the trail as a short prep for a 12 day later this summer. Carried my full pack. There are some good steep inclines. Took about 1 hour 45 minutes. This trail has very clear paths until about halfway in. Then depending on whether you “loop” or backtrack, the trail gets very tight. Pretty trail and got my heart pumping.

Good trail, saw some deer on the way up. Nice workout.

Great hike for anyone looking for a workout. One of my first real hiking experiences, challenged me to where I really felt as though I had achieved a milestone. Finished in an hour and 50 minutes, with very few breaks and not much sight seeing although there were plenty of places to enjoy the Mississippi River. Highly enjoyed this trail but wouldn’t recommend it to the beginner.

I take my dog jogging through here occasionally, nice view at the top.

Great trail experienced in December with great views all around.

We had a great time on this trail. Not advisable on hiking it in tennis shoes. Hiking boots and pants are best as you brush across different plants and come in contact with spiders and other insects. Beautiful view of the Mississippi River at 1.5 miles in. We completed the trail in roughly 1.5 hours without stopping. To really take in the views expect 2 to 2.5 hours.

This trail is open. Nice new bridge at the beginning. Plenty of parking at trailhead as there is a pavilion for picnicing there. As other reviewers have said, it is an out and back. Parts of it are very steep so you get a good workout. The recommendation to wear bug spray is spot on. The views of the river are spectacular and a nice reward after a challenging climb.

The visitors' center at the entrance to the park is nice too.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Go on a date/time when you know someone else has already hiked, or you will be kissing spider webs every 10'. It's a great trail though!!

Friday, May 26, 2017

No longer a loop trail. It's an out and back, so 3 miles total(1.5 out, 1.5 back). A good trail especially if you look and turn things over as we saw a snake, newts, lizards, mole, mouse, and salamanders. A good workout too but make sure to bring bug spray.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Trail is now open. New bridge at the very beginning of trail. Beautiful hike to get away for a few hours. Nice overlook at top of trail of Mississippi. No loop. You hike in and back out.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

TRAIL HAS REOPENED. Steep inclines make this hike a little difficult. It's a double back trail and no longer loops. The trail ends on the cliffs which have a spectacular view of the Mississippi River. The trail takes you down into mossy creek beds and back along the ridge lines, really beautiful and quiet.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Beautiful sights. Cool place to watch the river and you can see for miles.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Trail was closed but great river views near here.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Great trail but it is currently closed.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Lots of steep inclines! Was a blast but definitely a workout for my first actual hike. The river was flooded so we couldn't go all the way around the trail, so I will have to go back whenever the river recedes. Would love to do this trail in a bit cooler temperatures as the exertion and humidity made me wet all over with sweat. Still, it was a lot of fun with great views of the river.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

I did this trail two weeks ago. It was 90 degrees with 64% humidity...yes I was crazy!! It was definitely a hike. It was suppose to be a loop hike, but it rained and the Mississippi River was flooded. When I got 1.8 miles into my hike, I had to turn around and go back due to the flooding. It was a climb uphill almost the whole way back. I also got eaten alive by mosquitos and a special horsefly that would not leave me alone. My fault though because I didn't use bug spray before my hike! I would definitely do this hike again, but I was there visiting/working for two weeks on assignment.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

It's a beautiful trail! You will definitely get some exercise. There is quite a bit of hills. The trail was cleared very well when I hiked it. I went left of the fork you come across. You approach a creek, but it was still nice to explore that area.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

This was a fairly intense trail. There were lots of steep up and downs as well as some over growth on the trail. I went with my dog and two friends. One of my friends is a hiker like me and the other isn't so much. She definitely regretted insisting on being able to handle this as her first real trail.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

This is a nice trail in Trail of Tears State Park. The hike is a bit rugged with several ups and downs. You do get a nice view of the Mississippi from the top of the bluffs. We saw only a couple other people on our hike. We did come to a section of the trail where it drops down into a small valley that was a bit overgrown and weedy. We ended up picking up several ticks from that overgrown section of the trail. Overall, it is a nice hike though with a good view.

recorded Sheppard point Trail head