Shaw Nature Reserve Trail

Shaw Nature Reserve Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific, Missouri that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

My second and my fave of three hikes in 3 days. This place is FANTASTIC! A true gem. I spent 3 hours here on a lovely Sunday afternoon and did not even explore half of the place. Check in at the visitor center, pay your $5 and get a trail map. I drove around the loop to get a feel for the location and ended up hiking quite a bit of the Trail House Loop up to the prairie where a nice observation deck is placed in case you want to take in the view and burn one. I then went through the forest picked up the Goddard River Trail and took that up to the bluff overlook which didn't really impress as far as the view, but I double backed to the Trail House loop and took that to the Wetlands which has a boardwalk. There are lots of wildflowers which attract butterflies. I saw numerous rabbits but not the elusive bobcat I was hoping to catch. There is a pre-Civil War family cemetery plot off the Trail House loop as well as a school bus stop from the 30's. The elevation is not too strenuous and you could hike it in comfortable walking shoes as opposed to hiking boots. Traffic was minimal and the location is right off the interstate on Historic Route 66 just down the road from Six Flags. I will visit again. A real asset to the area. Enjoy!

The hike down to the gravel bar is very nice. There are also some very nice Woodland trails. Also the wildflower garden is pretty spectacular.otherwise Overall a very nice place to hike.

Shaw Nature Reserve was my first experience with hiking and I still love coming here. You can make your hike as short or as long and as easy or difficult as you like. For this trip, I put together part of the Brush Creek Trail, Prairie Trail, Wetland Trail and part of the Wolf Run Trail for an approximately 4 mile hike. I highly recommend this location.

My favorite place. Hike all the trails to get different aspects of nature. awesome for kiddos too. Has lake, historic houses, prairie, beautiful tree groves, wildflowers, gardens, wooded trails, ponds, river and glades. It has everything. I wasn't a fan of the bluff view. It was blocked so not much of a view. It's the only thing missing. So many trails that you can pick a long hike or a short one. Love love love this place and I am picky. Go!