Sandstone Canyon Trail

Sandstone Canyon Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near LaBarque Creek, Missouri that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pretty hike! You have to go off the main trail if you really want to explore the canyons. We passed quite a few people and a few dogs.

great trail with lots of twists and turns. Dog friendly, beautiful bluff views and interesting geology

This park is a gem!

very nice trail, but not clearly marked once you are off in canyon part. very beautiful scenery and wildlife

great hike. excellent scenery and well marked.

For a hot day was a great shaded trail! It was 90 degrees but shaded with a nice breeze, it didn’t feel bad at all. We hiked down to the canyon and was well worth it. I would not go if there was a chance of rain it looks like it could flood easily.

Well-marked and mostly shady trail inside a beautiful new state park! Some extended ‘slow burn’ inclines, but generally moderate and accessible to a wide variety of fitness levels.

Good incline and beautiful wildlife and trees. We saw lizards, a lot of birds, and two two deer were right on the trail. Shaded and the park itself is a beautiful.

Made a detour off the trail, into the canyon. Worth every bit! Today was very hot, but still relativitly cool on the trail. Very nice little hike. I will be back.

Gorgeous trail! Hiked it in a little over two hours, but we took a couple detours down into the canyon. We also hiked it backwards, which I enjoyed more as it started difficult and then got easier. Park is well maintained and beautiful. I cannot wait to go back and hike both trails!

Enjoyed the trail. Mostly double and single track, almost all canopied. I am guessing the moderate rating is because the hills. Although just under 4 miles, the various levels of elevation made this a tough one.

One of our favorites and it’s not far from our home. Beautiful scenery and the best time to go is the Fall or Spring. You can see the canyons clearly then. Also a couple days after a rain. Then it’s not so muddy but the water is still flowing through the streams. So pretty!

Back again. Wow what a change in just two weeks. Last visit hardly any leaves, now full canopy. This is a great hike on sunny days, shaded 90% of trail. See images posted.

Two hour hike. Hilly, but very easy. Worth doing again after heavy rain

This is a beautiful hike, nice wide path, creek crossings, valley views, sandstone wall/outcroppings. Time of year, not best, but soon will be incredible. So thankful for giving people like Don who shared this treasure.

Really beautifully maintained park. The trails were a bit rocky and uneven in parts, lots of switchbacks and elevation changes. I would recommend hiking poles if you aren't steady on your feet. I did the longer trail and used the connector loop to shorten the distance. It was still about 3.8 miles by the time I got back to the car with the walk to the trial head and back. Not too crowded and beautiful scenery. It was early spring and nothing blooming yet really, I bet it's a whole different feeling when everything is green and lush!

Be advised that there’s a few creek crossings, and after a few days of heavy rain the trail can get very muddy, so I’d recommend waterproof boots (or at least sturdy shoes you’re okay with getting dirty). We hiked clockwise, which brought us to the water features early but I think saved us from some more intense climbing, so you can choose how strenuous you want the hike to be. Overall it’s an interesting and beautiful trail with some good challenges here and there.

The sandstone canyon is a must see.

This is a great trail for those looking for a moderate 4 mile hike. The park has an interesting history and the trail leads to a beautiful little creek, past nice rock outcroppings. There are some great views across the valley from the top and a cool old stone house that was built by an eccentric local businessman in the 60’s.

Very nice hike, that provides a little workout. It was nice seeing it without the leaves on the trees since we were able to see the "canyon" winding off in the distance, which probably would have been hidden otherwise. We went counter-clockwise at the trailhead, which made for a nice, level walk the last mile back. Planning on going back to explore some of the offshoot trails. Saw a few people exploring those, but we were running out of light. Planning on going back once we get some leaves to see what it looks like then.

Great Trail! Started raining and the waterfalls were worth it!

Beautiful, well-marked trail and the canyon is terrific. We didn't have enough time to go down into the canyon and walk along the creek and will definitely return for that.

what a beautiful hike, limestone formations, glade and great views.

Fun trail with some side trails. It’s cool to see the marks of this being someone’s land while walking through it. This trail is also handicap friendly for the first part (less than half a mile) but I appreciated that the concrete walk way is there for those who can’t use their legs but still crave the hike!

Great trail! Good workout and great views. We actually saw a few deer running through the woods during our hike, which was extra exciting for our dogs! They (dogs) handled the trail really well too. The shelter facilities are really nice as well. Can’t wait to go back to this one.

This was our first hike on the Sandstone Canyon Trail, and we will be returning! Although it was a bit tricky due to the extremely muddy areas, the sandstone “canyon” formations were worth the slippery trek! If it had rained or had recently thawed and you were planning a family excursion, I would leave the smaller kiddos at home until a dryer day. Muddy routes and several water crossings can make a challenging hike for less experienced adult hikers. I hike an average of 6-10 mile long trails every week, and this one had me slowing my pace as not to “slip-slide-away”. Recommend actual hiking shoes or thick-soled rugged tennis shoes for better gripping purposes. Rocks and bedrock formations had us climbing up (or down if coming from opposite direction) 12-18 inches in height; therefore, if you find this difficult, I recommend a walking stick or two. Cannot wait to return under dryer conditions, as well as view the scenery during the Summer, Spring, and Autumn months. Happy (and safe) trails, Everyone!

There were some pretty cool ice formations to see along the trail and the Creek was completely frozen. Love this trail as there is always something interesting to see no matter the season.

There were some spectacular ice formations in the canyon area today!

Incredible, pristine white sandstone canyon.

Loved this. Beautiful hike and the rock formations were incredible. Very well marked trail with a good mix of hills, descents and flats. Can’t wait to come back and hike this again in the spring and explore the canyon.