Sam A. Baker State Park Campground

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(18)
Sam A. Baker State Park

Sam A. Baker State Park Campground is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Patterson, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,473 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paddle sports

The cool waters of the St. Francois River and Big Creek frame a wooded setting with trails that range from easy to challenging. Ancient mountains, towering trees, and fresh air are hallmarks of the park. Rustic cabins, a campground, a separate campground for equestrians, and a lodge with good countr

We camped for 2 nights in Shelter 3 and remotely , we tried making it to the primitive camp by the creek, but it was getting dark, we felt the maps did not reflect the actual distances...I would not recommend the equestrian trail for walkers, its rocky and slippery, which makes for slow going and hard on the knees. we lost the yellow blazes coming off mudlick trail to mudlick equestrian (why not rename it to Green Mountain) just after shelter 3. love this park but there are not enough blazes, even in connecter routes were sparse. many downed trees and diversions. glad we had alltrail app and a compass.

love hiking Sam a Baker, me and my husband visited the gift shop there everyone was so nice, and very helpful. We stayed in the shelters, we passed a few folks on the trail being it was a very nice day here in November. These trails is say would be recommended to experience hikers, if you went out with no experience I'd say just be careful going up. No room for mistakes and this would be one of those trail hiking up mudlick Mountain. After the incline I enjoyed the firetower trail the next day.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Sat Apr 27 2019

We went off trail a bit. Overall quite nice.

Sun Dec 03 2017

Needs better signage for hiking trails but overall the park was nice

Sun Feb 12 2017

gorgeous area. be sure to go down Mudlick Hollow on the orange trail

Mon Oct 31 2016

I lived here for awhile and loved this trail. My kids really enjoyed the nature.

Mon Dec 01 2014

Excellent trails, enough length to enjoy. Great park facilities. Backpack shelters. Great location, many other hikes in area.

Sun Nov 30 2014

Civilized park with trails that felt less civilized (good). Elevation shifts were unexpected, as I did not do my homework! Really enjoyed the meandering trail through the autumn leaves as well as the goat-track switchbacks that led to the river. The shelters are nicely kept, and on a chilly day, it was a nice surprise to stumble upon a small fire smoldering in the hearth. I will return to complete the other trails at this park!

Mon Apr 22 2013

Very nice State Park located in SE MO. State park facilities are well kept and park is very clean. There are many hiking trails with primitive camping shelters along the trail. Numerous spring fed waterfalls are located throughout the park and along the hiking trails. The main attraction is a water fall/pool located at the edge of the park with access from a the mudlick trail. Park also has equestrian trails, separate from the hiking and biking trails.

Fri Apr 26 2019